When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is it....?

Ezio

Why is it Always i get the Feeling when i get a new watch that im done but Then goes sometime and i get the Feeling to buy a new one

Got with my newest buy a dssd 47 watches that is a Big number and alot of watches Got my dssd yesterday and Said im done now i see something new and im like hmm... Should i buy it

20 of the watches i Got from my late father but still i Got a problem haha

Don't worry about it mate ... you're about to reach the plateau.  It varies from person to person, but we wind up with a brazillion watches and then start to whittle down the herd.

I'm down to 7 now, and each one is significant.  Doubt it will go much lower than this.

No worries......... you're normal!  :partytime:

Normal process.  I think I had 20+ at one time in the spring.  Mostly all modern pieces.  Down to the 8 that will fit on the winder and a handful of old quartz in the case that I would dump but they are not worth much anymore so they just sit there.

If I build or buy another, then one needs to go.  Plus it keeps the wife happy.  She did not like looking at the 20+ in three different winders.

The transition from modern to vintage is ongoing for me these days which reduced the amount a bunch.  Gradually I will reduce it down even more.  Many times I think I like a watch and must have it, but once I get it on the wrist I do not like the way it wears.  Better to do that with reps than gens...Eventually I will figure out the models I really really like and either get gens of that model or build high end frakens.  Some I would not pay what the gen cost so for sure a build on those models.  Since I am still really a noob at this, I am still learning what I really like and for some reason that keeps changing.  I know it is all vintage right now so I do not even look at any modern pieces.     

I have the same problem!! Several years ago, I was down to around 5-6 watches, all gen. I decided then that I would limit my collection to 10 watches, no more. If I wanted more, had to sell some. Well this lasted about a year, and gradually, I started adding more and not selling any. Now, I have over forty. I probably have a core of around 20 that I wouldn't want to get rid of, the rest, are ones that I probably wouldn't miss.

Another problem that I have encountered, it's darn hard to sell a lot of reps without taking a total bath. I have two right now on the sales forums, both are very nice watches solid reliable in very nice condition. Both are priced well below what I have in the watches. Almost no interest at all. I'm sure I could sell both of them if I were willing to slash my asking price to 50% or less of what they cost me. I'm not going to sell a 500 dollar watch for 250 dollars. I bet thee are lots of folks out there that find themselves in the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem!! Several years ago, I was down to around 5-6 watches, all gen. I decided then that I would limit my collection to 10 watches, no more. If I wanted more, had to sell some. Well this lasted about a year, and gradually, I started adding more and not selling any. Now, I have over forty. I probably have a core of around 20 that I wouldn't want to get rid of, the rest, are ones that I probably wouldn't miss.

Another problem that I have encountered, it's darn hard to sell a lot of reps without taking a total bath. I have two right now on the sales forums, both are very nice watches solid reliable in very nice condition. Both are priced well below what I have in the watches. Almost no interest at all. I'm sure I could sell both of them if I were willing to slash my asking price to 50% or less of what they cost me. I'm not going to sell a 500 dollar watch for 250 dollars. I bet thee are lots of folks out there that find themselves in the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Sir,  Why I still have all those quartz.  Paid $1200 for a Movado I have sitting in the box that I wore maybe 3 times.  Probably could not sell it for more than $300 so it just sits there with a handful of others that I paid retail for and are now not worth much at all.  Don't even know why I bought them in the first place...I had a gen Sub when I bought that Movado.  I guess I thought I needed a dress watch.

Don't worry about it mate ... you're about to reach the plateau.  It varies from person to person, but we wind up with a brazillion watches and then start to whittle down the herd.

I'm down to 7 now, and each one is significant.  Doubt it will go much lower than this.

No worries......... you're normal!  :partytime:

+1 Nanuq.  When i first started in this hobby i would buy very impulsively.  After gaining knowlage about quality/accuracy/etc from the forums my purchaces are a bit more thought out and calculated.  I've dwindled down to 4 really decent reps/builds.

Here comes the shocker guys i really do only collect the best of the reps but i do buy alot of gens i Got four reps now and the rest is gens

Rolex omega brietling tag heuer Mostly rolex

I wish it only was reps my problem was in but with gens there are no need to investigate it i just buy wifey hates me a little ;)

These forums fuel our bad habit of searching for and buying watches. I took a self imposed break from WUS and RG for a couple of years and found myself more than happy to wear just one or two watches. All of the others simply sat in my box in hibernation and my wallet stopped hemorrhaging.

For some stupid reason, I decided to check out one of the forums and in doing so, I stopped by the sales area. One of the first things I saw was a watch that I "had to have"...I've now spent thousands in the few months since I started browsing the forums. Time for another long break, I think

Here comes the shocker guys i really do only collect the best of the reps but i do buy alot of gens i Got four reps now and the rest is gens

Rolex omega brietling tag heuer Mostly rolex

I wish it only was reps my problem was in but with gens there are no need to investigate it i just buy wifey hates me a little ;)

Same here. I have only four or five reps (only one is worn with any frequency, and I just got it a few weeks ago). I've somehow managed to buy two 2254.50 SMPs in the past two months. One of which was traded away so I got another, which I received just yesterday. This is [censored]!

These forums fuel our bad habit of searching for and buying watches. I took a self imposed break from WUS and RG for a couple of years and found myself more than happy to wear just one or two watches. All of the others simply sat in my box in hibernation and my wallet stopped hemorrhaging.

For some stupid reason, I decided to check out one of the forums and in doing so, I stopped by the sales area. One of the first things I saw was a watch that I "had to have"...I've now spent thousands in the few months since I started browsing the forums. Time for another long break, I think

Exactly like me i should hold a break too not the forum just not enter the sales forum its like the sale section is crack

I can be like hmm im happy with my watches 5 min in sales you find that have to have watch and buy it same thing next day

Im going crazy here in Kuwait for gens because of the Nice Price Got offered a gen dssd used for 6480us that is really cheap

Exactly like me i should hold a break too not the forum just not enter the sales forum its like the sale section is crack

I can be like hmm im happy with my watches 5 min in sales you find that have to have watch and buy it same thing next day

Im going crazy here in Kuwait for gens because of the Nice Price Got offered a gen dssd used for 6480us that is really cheap

The non-sales forums are still dangerous! You can just be reading threads then BAM, someone posts a pic of a watch that you just can't resist. Then it's off to the sales area you go!

The non-sales forums are still dangerous! You can just be reading threads then BAM, someone posts a pic of a watch that you just can't resist. Then it's off to the sales area you go!

True :D

I did the same exact thing. It's when my Skyland started slowing down (after running perfectly for 5 years) I started buying again. I'm at 8 now and have vowed to hold steady for a good long while. However, these forums make it sooooo difficult. My wallet needs a break. Besides, I need to save to replace my boat, which was a total loss this past summer. Looking for a bigger boat...

Quite reliefed to see I can still stock up a bit after the first creative pause around 30 :). If You do like Rolex/Panerai and AP, I think sooner or later it´s really easy to end up with 5-6 of each. Throw in some 3 Omegas/Breitlings/Seikos and IWC´s, a dresswatch, Chronos and some novelty or rarity and it´s quite easy to get into the 40ies.

While having managed the past decade with just 3, it´s just more fun to keep the level at/over 30. Looking forward to get some more nice vintages now to round it up and sail happily along.

On of my customers has over 200 watches all gen from seiko up to some expensive ones. He just keeps it a secret from his wife and when he gets a new one he has to make it look similar to one he has to get it into the house. This game of watches is quite addicting. For myself, I have over 30 and all has its place somewhere and more will come for sure.

I wonder if anyone here remembers the vast collection Lanikai put together? He has so many watches the steel forms a gravitational anomaly over Hawaii.

Here's his Doxa with the Big Gonzo

post-32-141550540089.jpg

Well like most have way to many 40 + I think maybe more and I can not bring myself to sell them at the substantial losses it would entail just as well keep them. Many more gens than reps to be honest from low to high end (well not crazy high) but most are in the box brand new unworn, I know it's nuts but once I get one I am already on to another and thinking about selling (which I rarely do if ever) but brand new in the box take the smallest hit in return so.......................... shelf full of brand new gens in the box. CRAZY!!!