When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cost of a DateJust in 1970´s?

fulanito_uk

Matt has told me stories about some of the prices from back then. I read a post on one of the rolex forums that a guy said he worked at an AD in early 70's and got a Daytona at cost less 10% so like less than $200. Crazy we might pay double that or more for a plexi. If I remember correctly my 16613 in 1987 was well under 5k brand new.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

What about this, a poor man and a rich man walk into a rolex store the year this ad came out, the poor man buys the 5512 3-6-9 for 69£.. On the other hand the rich man happily spends 454£ (5x the price) for the gold day date. Today the steel sub is worth easily 50x what the day date would fetch, who knew!

post-38788-0-45976300-1415943458_thumb.j

• Like 1

I remember paying around 500 USD for a Daytona back around 1978-79. I kept it for around a month, never could get used to the manual wind/no date. Swapped it back to the same AD for a 1680 Submariner. In retrospect a pretty lousy trade!! At that time, the Daytonas were not very popular, they were sort of swimming against the tide as most folks were interested in autowind watches with date features. the Daytona to many was a step backward.

Bought a new steel 1603 from a local AD in 1972 and it was $260 out the door. The watch came with a crocodile strap/signed steel buckle on it and they gave me a C&I oyster bracelet with it. Wore it a few times, still have it.

Wore a steel 214 RR model most of the time back then. Bought the 214 in 1971 and it was $100 otd plus I traded in a worthless pin lever pocket watch to get around the fair trade law. Still have it too.

Amazing how the AD's worked to get around Rolex's draconian fixed prices. Most AD's wouldn't come off the MSRP a penny, but the ones who wanted your business would take a Timex in trade to get around the companies rule. "Let's see sir. that Submariner you are looking at is 750.00 USD plus tax." "Man, that's pretty steep, can you do any better than that?" "Sorry Sir I'm not allowed to discount", but we would entertain a trade in." How much would this Timex be worth in a trade" Well let's see, that one looks like it's in really nice shape, I think I can give you 100.00 USD  on a trade in" Watch sold, Timex probably goes in the trash, or the salesman gives it to the stock boy, everyone is happy.

• Like 1