When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reshaped Explorer 1016 case

jmb

I think most folks know that after M inflicted me with the "Explorer Virus" I have become very fond of them.  Once the price of suitable gen cases started getting unreasonable I looked around for rep cases that didn't look too bad and came up with the 2824 16200 case.  This made a pretty decent looking mid-range Explorer and with the correct bezel and such made a reasonably believable copy.  But, the lug shape bugged the dawg-$hit out of some folks bad enough to cause them to spend some quality "therapy" time with aforementioned case and various files and abrasive papers!  Not my idea of a really good time...

Enter blue.  After some back-and-forth he sent me an AutoCad drawing file he worked up for the lug profile of a 1016 case.  At the time I was really swamped and didn't have a chance to do anything to it and it sat on the back-burner for several weeks.  After I caught a breather I kind of rushed a test and tore up a case but it showed me what I did wrong.  Several months passed until I was finally able to make a few tweaks to the drawing and turn it into G-Code for my lathe and yesterday I decided to try my luck.

I first re-profiled the tops of the lugs based on blue.'s drawing and cleaned up the burrs with a fine "sword" file.  I then sanded and re-brushed the lug tops and turned to the lug holes.  I usually drop the lug holes into the existing "dimples" on the lug insides but since I slimmed the lugs I decided I would try to relocate them to a more proper spot.  I was pleased that the new location not only looked a helluva lot more correct but also the new holes didn't encroach on the existing dimples.  I was afraid I would break into the edge of one of them and cause the bit to "wander" and make an ugly hole.  Although the original dimples can be plainly seen once the end-pieces and bracelet are installed they should be hidden.  I popped on a pair of wso990 555 end-pieces and they lined up with the newly relocated lug holes perfectly and I didn't have to do any grinding.  After this I then lightly aged the case and pronounced it good enough.

Enough said, here's a couple pics of the results...

post-24124-0-43328700-1417140007_thumb.j

post-24124-0-14221700-1417140015_thumb.j

post-24124-0-65931300-1417140023_thumb.j

• Like 1

jMB, the case looks fabulous! The holes appear perfect.....Your skills are enviable. Another project for your lathe might be milling a rep 1675 bezel to accommodate gen spec inserts which are a tad wider. the rep GMT bezels are Sub bezels which look a bit off! When you put a rep GMT insert together w/ a gen spec the outer edge is 1mm. Or so wider. is this a job you may tackle? happy to send you bezel to try....

best, mcotter

Brilliant, J!

So happy that there is a significant progress after so many months ;)

The CNC lathe ensures accurate, symmetrical lug reshaping and leaves only work for fine surface finish to the builder/modder. Which is easier than having to reshape four lugs by hand, running the risk to screw up on four of them.

Here is the prove that the resulting profile is gen spec ( this is a gen 1016 case from 1989 ):

DSD6kI7.png

Edited by blue.
  • Like 1

Wonderful job! I just might have to buy another case. Now, you just need to find time to get that printer up and running so we have a new source for dials:)

I have some dial blanks and a fresh pad and white ink for the printer.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to give it a try before year end.  I have developed a cliche but may have to have one professionally produced to get the resolution we need...

I have a feeling this is gonna cause me some work... :whistling:

You're going to have to move to Guangzhou and set up a factory!  :)

Other than the between-lug engravings, these will be, by far, the best "replacement 1016 cases" available anywhere.  People want these, so charge accordingly!

Well, M, you should know better than anybody here!  Some want me to weld in the original "dimples" as well as other "enhancements" but I can see it getting to the point of having to decide how much is too much for a rep case regardless of how "accurate" it might be.

I should have mine any day now.  I like the way mine turned out but I am curious to see the computer generated mods versus my untrained hands.  Being winter, it is a good time to mess with another build.  Probably end up making 2 and will keep the one I like the best and sell the other.  Just wish I could find a gen dial for a reasonable price....