When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 complete ..... almost

dbane883

Its a tough call which case is "better" between the two.   To be frank, I received two cases from Phong and there were VERY different - both would need alot of work to make them right.  The MQ out of the box is very very good, with maybe the exception of the bevels (which is fixable).

Stock Phong on left, MQ on right:

IMG_5314_zps76cf18e3.jpg

I really dont think you can go wrong with either one and both have pros and cons.  I dont think one is better than the other.

It is difficult, at best, to accurately compare newly manufactured aftermarket parts with 50+ year-old gen Rolex parts, if, for no other reason, than the gen parts are likely to have been worn, polished & had who-knows-what-else done to them during their lengthy lifespans. However, if you compare MQ's beveling to vintage advertisements & the best quality '38s out there, I think you will find that it is very accurate. Phong's, while good, fail to deliver in my opinion. Also, after successive polishings, the overall lug length gets shortened, so, if MQ's overall length is short (that is a big IF), I think it would be more accurate for a 50+ year-old gen watch. Just a quick 2 cents.

It is difficult, at best, to accurately compare newly manufactured aftermarket parts with 50+ year-old gen Rolex parts, if, for no other reason, than the gen parts are likely to have been worn, polished & had who-knows-what-else done to them during their lengthy lifespans. However, if you compare MQ's beveling to vintage advertisements & the best quality '38s out there, I think you will find that it is very accurate. Phong's, while good, fail to deliver in my opinion. Also, after successive polishings, the overall lug length gets shortened, so, if MQ's overall length is short (that is a big IF), I think it would be more accurate for a 50+ year-old gen watch. Just a quick 2 cents.

Agreed freddy... Once both cases are reworked, very very difficult to choose a clear winner. Given the overall length and gen caseback acceptance (on the off chance I find a gen 6538 caseback on the sidewalk), I chose the phong. But I could very well live with the MQ. Both are excellent. I've never touched a gen 6538 but if I do, I will make sure I have my digital caliper handy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a different experience last year when I made mine, the phong cases were spectacular and the minh case I had was second hand and had been polished and worked on a little. I preffered the nos look of phongs so thats the one I went with, but minh's was very well done too. It's just not easy to deal with him imo. This is my phong case that only ever had a light polishing done by me, no bevel work or shaping required! The swoops are good and the bevels are great. t's a real shame that he doesnt have the same parts now that he did then, it just goes to show you that you are taking a chance when ordering a case from either of them, good news is they both seem to be willing to try to make you happy so they would ship out another case or whatever.

You did an amazing job on your bevels

post-38788-0-41255900-1420570148_thumb.j

post-38788-0-88808800-1420570175_thumb.j

post-38788-0-24880400-1420570238_thumb.j

post-38788-0-30028400-1420570286_thumb.j

post-38788-0-74147100-1420570305_thumb.j

• Like 1

phong is eager to please, have no experience with mq. what I do know, is that they both require a bit of back and forth, case returning, and frustration in order to get what you're asking for. in the end, they usually come through but it's definitely something that can try on ones patience.

i wont even deal with phong anymore. not that he isnt a good guy, he is, and like I said, wants his customers to be happy. he just doesnt have control over the outcome of the products he gets for his buyers, its hit or miss and from experience, much more of a miss. so you gotta have patience and ride it out until you get what you want.

i'll be having my rep @dbane833 deal with him for me when the time comes to build one of these because I am not as level headed as my bevel cutting friend.

• Like 2

Holy cow! A brand new 58 year old 6538- that must be a safe queen! The more I see it, the more I like that pristine dial, hands and crystal. Beats that MKII Kingston all to pieces and besides, it says Rolex on the dial.

It sure would be interesting to see if you ever get called out, DB. 

Funny, I purposely aged the case a little bit to show roughly  a coupel decades of light wear.  Frankly dont care about being called out.. its a redial and the case is an aftermarket replacement.  I have nothing to hide.  But yes, the dial is a bit too pristine for sure.

But I have never been called out, ever.  Just dont hang around WUSs.  In fact, I have never seen a vintage Rolex in this city and I've worked in downtown Toronto for 20+ years.

However, there are examples of beautifully preserved 38's.. Here Mr. Stahls:

MessagesImage1323927650_zps39be6728.png

• Like 1

Frankly dont care about being called out.. its a redial and the case is an aftermarket replacement.  I have nothing to hide.  But yes, the dial is a bit too pristine for sure.

But I have never been called out, ever.  Just dont hang around WUSs.  In fact, I have never seen a vintage Rolex in this city and I've worked in downtown Toronto for 20+ years.

I guess being called out is not the correct term- especially in this case. With a watch of this caliber and lineage, you'd think someone would notice, but I guess there just aren't that many people who really know their watches.

I wear a varied combination of gen, rep and franken watches and I never get called out either. But if I saw someone wearing a vintage sub like your 6538, I would certainly say "nice watch" if at all possible.

BTW, LHOOQ hangs out, or used to, in Toronto.  

@ dbane, since these dials are in a class all to themselves and will no longer be made by 'he who shall not be named'  ;)

Is there any other 6538 dial on the market that is worthy of putting into a phong/1030 build?

Edited by mir36