When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sometime Homage/Look a like watches are the best choice

Guest kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

Yes.

So intelligent that you invent new ways to [censored] up quotes.

So observant that the only thing you see are overpriced $800 reps that are crap, and crappier $200 reps what you will choose to "test drive" to decide if you like a gen.

How about a look under the hood of your definitely not a base model 2006 Vette?

Or a pic of you actually riding your Harley, not parked in 'your' garage?

I love how you managed to use the same name on the gen forums AND a rep forum, and suppose that there are not other people that are on all the same, already talking about you.

There is more horological knowledge concentrated around here than anywhere else on the planet outside of Switzerland and Lilitz. And the gen owner club members come here to learn what they don't know, if they are wise.

But you'll never know who are seated highly in both worlds,

who might be at Basel every year, which watchmakers that work in the industry build their own homage watches, and how many of those cottage homage companies (and bespoke strap makers) got started right in this neighborhood of RWG.

I can't remember how many VIP subscriptions I paid for for promising noobs to help elevate them on their ways, I am saddened at the loss of members that have disappeared (like myself), and was humbled many years ago when the entire rep (and gen) forum community came together to support me when I had an incredible crisis.

Donations came from all over the planet, even from under the ocean, and even from almost every Trusted Dealer throughout the forums. All these people which you call fake.

You are a [censored] idiot.

Seven years and you still have not graduated from the seedy world of  backroom counterfeit copies  to  genuine watches......Only took me a few months to realize the counterfeit world is a dirty  joke among the  Horologic community So much so, it will bring you an instant vacation  any legitimate Horologic  forum when discussed seriously .....WUS, Rolex Forums, Breitling Source All deny  the notion of Counterfeits being credible in any way or form to further the horological Society

Edited by kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

Tell me again how the Federation de l'industrie horilgere suisse FH  respects what you promote and how this counterfeit world has made a positive  impact in Horilogcal circles'

Come on over to WUS or the Rolex Forum and tell the members how important you and the counterfeit world is to their hobby.

Edited by kingfrog

Been around lot longer than 7 years. And collected more Gen watches than I ever did reps.

7minutes should be more than adequate time to figure out how to use the quote function, thanks again for demonstrating that You are still a moron.

Ever read the front page of THIS site?

Tell me again how the Federation de l'industrie horilgere suisse FH respects what you promote and how this counterfeit world has made a positive impact in Horilogcal circles'

Come on over to WUS or the Rolex Forum and tell the members how important you and the counterfeit world is to their hobby.

Ever wonder how Swiss rules allow for almost 100% of the parts to be manufactured in China, as long as the value of parts from Switzerland is higher? Who determines what the actual values are for that $280 base movement made in China that gets its balance and hairspring in Switzerland, then goes on to be "$5000 masterpiece" in a $10,000 watch? Or even a $500 movement in a $1500 watch? How about the amazing $50 movements in $150 watches? When the Chinese company that made the Swiss movement is selling finished movments out of China for the same price as the completed "Swiss" watch?

And how can 600,000 watch parts all be counterfeit, if they haven't been assembled into watches with inappropriate marking yet? Especially when the patents covering the movements being copied ran out decades ago?

How many of those boutique manufactures doing homage watches get their parts from the same stream as the rep makers? Heh. A lot of them are the same.

Still having trouble quoting? Or are you just trying to hide links on the page to draw attention mischievously like a 5 year old whose been sat in the corner and isn't happy, but doesn't have a better way to express himself.

You remain a worthless, flaccid [censored].

Edited by POTR
  • Like 1

Agreed POTR - There are a handful of guys that have been featured on Hodkinkee that started out making really perfect rep's - in fact John Mayer has one of their JLC's and is quite fond of it. 

So these fellows start making their own "haute horologie" boutique brand watches. They create a case, a face, and source an ETA movement, say...$300 and gussy it up a bit. Next thing this watch shows up on Hodinkee being lauded as inventive and original - selling for $12,500 or whatever...

How is that even remotely cool? How is wearing a rep worse than being ripped off? I was against rep's and frankens until I realized that about 15% or so of "high-end" watches are actually pure in-house quality manufacture movements. 

Once my eyes were opened my issues with exploring as much of the watch world as possible fell away. There's more talented craftsmen and brilliance here on this forum than on any other. 

Kingfrog, I've said it before, I'll say it again - you're a fool. I have more class and style than you do; and as for your poor boy comment - I have watch-straps that cost more than watches you own, and suits that cost more than your Rolex. You're a clown. I've bought many many gen's from authorized dealers, some of which I still have. 

Get a clue, this is the wrong place for you, and I hope that either people stop responding to your nonsense or you get banned. Either way, I won't interact with you any further. 

Could someone just ban KingFrog so he stops annoying all of us?

My phantasmagorical Fanatic :winkiss: My Succulent Salmon attempts and fails to conceal a wicked evil streak.

Perchance the phrase hoist on his own petard comes to mind? Wild exaggerations heaped upon untruths woven into dubious claims of distaste - entwined with a salacious desire to observe, accompanied by frenetic stamping of tiny feet and balling of tiny furious fists reveals an Napoleonic personality, certain to self immolate on the dung heap of an overinflated ego.

Kingfrog nee Napoleon. Descartes postulated an overdeveloped self-confidence in the metaphysical solidity of the thinking ego is exposed as a psychological compensation for a lack of confidence in the reality of the "world". Perchance timepieces fit this reality?

And now our Napoleonic mini-me lies exposed. :winkiss:

I am confident my Succulent Salmon will not ban him, preferring instead the spectacle as his fondly named band of brothers unite in purpose to fan the flames of immolation.

Weenie anyone? I brought the buns. :winkiss: Oh dear the Yanks and quant colloquialisms!

• Like 1

Yep Me too. I tried the rep thing. Felt "dirty" and fake no matter how much it cost. I prefer the Homage at least it is not trying to be anything but what it is and s accepted conversation in legitimate serious  watch Forums like WatchUseek and Rolex from both of which do not allow discussion of counterfeit goods. No one who plays in this muddy sandbox is welcome there to discuss their "hobby".

I am selling a Citizen on Ebay and was asked if it was a knockoff. I could not believe anyone would make a knock off a $300 watch. So I took it to two jewelers and ran the serial number past Citizen USA. All said there was no evidence it was anything but an Echo Drive. Even the movement was the same as other Echo Drives. 

But where a buck can be made the Chinese will make a counterfeit and there are no shortage of those who want to project a false image.. Hell I am not even wealthy by some standards and I won't wear anything but a Genuine going forward. I thought I would like the replica world. But at the end of the day, Fake people wear fake watches, 

Yeah I will order a fake watch to test drive before buying the real thing as I have done. But I would not wear one and have to admit it's fake if someone asks or try to pull of the "yeah it's real" line either.  I have evolved and seen the light. People  I know who can afford the real thing and have $50K cars and $3000 suits would NEVER wear a $300 fake watch. It is too visual and  makes too loud a statement and who wants to claim they are wearing a fake Rolex or AP?  and WHY? If I can afford $3000 suits I can afford a $10K watch,

You are assuming that all the members here collect and wear only rep watches. I assure you very firmly that this is not the case. We have members here who own gens which would make your submariner look like a kid's toy. So what if you are a member of gen forums? I can still be a member here and be richer than you by many times. Your argument does not provide for members who own both gens and reps, and even if you did, I highly doubt that it would be valid.

At the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinion as we are entitled to ours. I would like to ask you, How does coming to RWG and behaving like a troll benefit you? Do you hope that you would induce shame in us, or "enlighten" us with your twisted logic? Or perhaps cause us to take the watch off our wrists and throw them with disgust onto the floor?

Fundamentals apply: Give respect, and get some back. Show disrespect, and your ass is up for public whopping. You can go on and on and on about your retirement status, fully paid house, car collections etc but really, its pathetic how you sound. Remember, wealth is relative, and I would just say that if you were hoping to impress, you got a bloody long way to go. Sure, I respect your predilection toward gen watches, but remember that this is a replica watch forum, and if you cannot show basic courtesy here, the exit is to the left. Why're you even here, when its obvious that you are here to troll and show how "superior" you are? You have very very little knowledge about watches, other than the fact that gen watches > replica ones because they come with a much higher price tag, warranties, etc. You really have very little inkling of what goes into a replica watch today. Instead of learning, you come here to try to flaunt your laughable "wealth", and diss the rep wearers. If fake watches are for fake people, then why don't you just stay at the gen forums? The answer is clear: Because you know very well that you would be nothing more than an infinitesimal speck of dust over there, whereas here, you can at least try to flaunt your gen submariner. But did you succeed impressing the members here and showing how great you are? You know the answer very well. 

I will leave you with this: You do not know us. Stop being so judgemental, lest you be judged. If you trying to rule the world just because you own a rolex submariner, you really have no idea how big the world is, and how small you are. Many here are far far richer than you. Therefore, owning reps here is a matter of personal choice, rather than not being able to afford the gen. Who are you to judge? 

In terms of knowledge, class, courtesy and wealth, you cannot hold a candle to a lot of guys I know here. That by itself, is not deplorable. But your posts lack respect, and I think that you should practice some self-restraint when posting.

Yes, you can call it like you see it, but so can anyone of us here.

I think this guy has truly outstayed his welcome. He is here to do nothing but instigate argument and hatred. If he wishes to discuss gen watches and hate rep watches then he should head over to WUS, which I find has far fewer experts of horology than here. Here a large amount of the population can pull apart a watch it build one from parts, something that couldn't be said about a large amount of WUS members.

Heh... and the odd ones that show off their watchmaking abilities in the gen fora, well where do you think THEY come from?

Except that "Gen" panaristi that "rebuilt" his "Pam" with a skeletonized Unitas that he "sawed, polished, assembled, and installed" himself with precious few shots of any work skeletonizing, finishing, and plating... and lots of shots casing the movement which amazingly looked exactly like the skeletonized Unitas for sale at the time in all kinds of 'reps.'

Of course the paneristi ate it all up with a spoon.

Tell me again how the Federation de l'industrie horilgere suisse FH respects what you promote and how this counterfeit world has made a positive impact in Horilogcal circles'

You say this, but many here have more extensive knowledge on Rolex/vintage Rolex then many on the gen boards.

I can think of somebody here that constantly is correcting people over there....

Best bit is, we are not a bunch of arseholes here, we share knowledge !

Ciao!

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

POTR, I had a very refreshing conversation over on WUS with some gen owners who admitted the movements in their "Swiss" watches, or their components, likely came from the same factories that supply movements for reps. To be "Swiss made" often means a few parts were added to the base ébauche in a Swiss facility. This certainly blurs the line between rep and gen, eh?

Absolutely.

The the difference between this side and that side often comes down to the need to be seen as conspicuously consuming over there, over here we do more preservation work than Rolex ever did themselves.

Who is a big fan of Rolex service policy?

Oh, we can't service that 6541 unless we replace that irreplaceable dial, hand set and bezel with something new that doesn't really look right and ruins the collector value of your 57 year old watch we don't make parts for anymore.

• Like 2

I remember reading somewhere that the SS Sub costs somewhere like 1500 usd to produce-including movement-it's SS for god's sake. I understand vintage and the collectibility of their rarer pieces, but for the most part it the margin is huge on gens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. When we buy gen watches, we pay mostly for the marketing, and for the "prestige" of being a gen watch owner, the latter being inculcated strongly through celebrity endorsements and various brand messages... 

The rep makers do not have this expense built into the cost of the watches. Or, one could even claim that the rep marketing is paid by the gen watch brands. 

I would say openly here, that I probably can afford gens that Mr Kingfrog would read about but never could buy. 

I do not think we are the poor boys here. And one thing for certain: When I am 54 like Kingfrog, I would either have more dignity and social grace than him, or a watch collection I could truly boast about. Likely both. 

Legend, about the "poor boy" surely I can't be considered in a different way, with my 25k/y. But surely I am not poor of spirit :) Simply, as the majority of the people, regardless my efforts and because of my history, temperament, environment, luck etc, I couldn't find my way into the higher classes.

Nevertheless we try to live our lives the best we can, contantly trying to enlarge, if not our income, at least our knowledge:)

• Like 1

Legend, about the "poor boy" surely I can't be considered in a different way, with my 25k/y. But surely I am not poor of spirit :) Simply, as the majority of the people, regardless my efforts and because of my history, temperament, environment, luck etc, I couldn't find my way into the higher classes.

Nevertheless we try to live our lives the best we can, contantly trying to enlarge, if not our income, at least our knowledge:)

Yes I agree Gentle.

I do not like to compare or discuss how much we earn a year here, it's extraneous and irrelevant. We're here to discuss watches and make friends, not compare wealth.

But when someone with his new found passion for gens come on and call us poor boys who cannot afford gens, I simply have to tell him that it isn't true.

You can earn $20k a year and still be respected, or you can earn $100k a year and still be despised. At RWG, it's never about the amount of money in the pockets, but how we can contribute to the community.

To me, you're a respected member of the community for the knowledge you bring.

Who cares about the money mate? ;)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

Most of the cost is in finishing and assembly these days. No more "year to build a watch" at the low end, where many operations have been replaced by automation. The "third shift" at Guangzhou has benefitted just as much as normal production in the last decade or so. Perhaps more. As the machines were definitely supplied by industry, even if the raw materials aren't completely.