When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member, my collection

GolfPunk

yaaaawwwwnnn :angry2: he won't make any addition to this forum why do we keep entertaining this [censored] he is only here to mess about and has been on the drink :doh: so now time to fook off and lets move on jesus i like a laff but he's going beyond a point

Why the negativity? I've apologised for the misunderstanding, let's all move on yeah?

I agree with Mike, she's been roasted enough, And while I believe the pain initially was self inflicted, and probably deserved, she has come around, apologized and will either hang around, contribute and become "one of the guys", or she will decide that this is not the place and move on. Entirely her choice.

To add another side to your post above about modifying genuine watches with genuine parts. I'm speaking from a different side of the equation, as most of my watches fall into the "Vintage" category, whereas yours are contemporary.

There has come a time with every watch manufacturer, outside of some of the very exclusive brands like Breguet  and Patek,  when they will no longer stock parts for their watches. We see this with the older vintage Rolex watches. Right now in order to repair a 1030 movement you have to find parts from another movement. Same with dials, some crystals are no longer available, so at some point, it's either a question of using aftermarket parts or the watch becomes a paperweight. So while your feelings about modified, but with genuine parts only, holds true for contemporary watches, it isn't always feasible with older vintage watches. If the choice of continuing to wear my 1665 or my 16750 comes down to using a generic crystal and wearing them , or  putting the watches In my watch box  forever, that answer is easy. I'm going to opt for the generic crystal. Rolex owners are very fortunate in that the watches are made in such large quantities, Yes Virginia, contrary to popular belief they are mass produced watches, there is a thriving aftermarket parts industry out there. So Rolex owners at least have a source of parts at least for most models. Try that on your Tag or even your Breitling when they are 40+ years old and they need hands  or a Crown/tube or insert, even bracelets and clasps. I would bet that it would be next to impossible finding any parts, genuine or generic for most older watches. And if they aren't using a relatively common movement say an ETA, either stock or as a base movement, you can probably forget about finding a movement as well.    

I agree with Mike, she's been roasted enough, And while I believe the pain initially was self inflicted, and probably deserved, she has come around, apologized and will either hang around, contribute and become "one of the guys", or she will decide that this is not the place and move on. Entirely her choice.

To add another side to your post above about modifying genuine watches with genuine parts. I'm speaking from a different side of the equation, as most of my watches fall into the "Vintage" category, whereas yours are contemporary.

There has come a time with every watch manufacturer, outside of some of the very exclusive brands like Breguet and Patek, when they will no longer stock parts for their watches. We see this with the older vintage Rolex watches. Right now in order to repair a 1030 movement you have to find parts from another movement. Same with dials, some crystals are no longer available, so at some point, it's either a question of using aftermarket parts or the watch becomes a paperweight. So while your feelings about modified, but with genuine parts only, holds true for contemporary watches, it isn't always feasible with older vintage watches. If the choice of continuing to wear my 1665 or my 16750 comes down to using a generic crystal and wearing them , or putting the watches In my watch box forever, that answer is easy. I'm going to opt for the generic crystal. Rolex owners are very fortunate in that the watches are made in such large quantities, Yes Virginia, contrary to popular belief they are mass produced watches, there is a thriving aftermarket parts industry out there. So Rolex owners at least have a source of parts at least for most models. Try that on your Tag or even your Breitling when they are 40+ years old and they need hands or a Crown/tube or insert, even bracelets and clasps. I would bet that it would be next to impossible finding any parts, genuine or generic for most older watches. And if they aren't using a relatively common movement say an ETA, either stock or as a base movement, you can probably forget about finding a movement as well.

Thanks for your comment, though I'm definitely not a 'she' I'm a 'he' (Gary).

Ummmmm your profile says "female". Easy to change.

Another thought: I drive an all stock '63 Land Rover. When the inevitable happens and I have to replace the chassis, and I drop in a small block V8, will it still be a Land Rover?

Ummmmm your profile says "female". Easy to change.

Another thought: I drive an all stock '63 Land Rover. When the inevitable happens and I have to replace the chassis, and I drop in a small block V8, will it still be a Land Rover?

NOOOOO !!!!! 

It would be interesting to know how many of those small block chevy conversion kits were sold, as opposed to how many were actually completed. Rovers are as scarce as hen's teeth down here in the south, and I personally know of two that are sitting in barns half done. Problem is both of the guys who own them are dillusional!! They won't sell, it's always "I'm gonna get this project finished one of these days" Every time I drop clothes off at the cleaners, when I drive through the drop off, parked behind the building is a nice defender. I asked the owners wife about it, she told me something was wrong with the motor. I asked her if they were interested in selling it, she told me that they were asking 20K !! Been sitting for at least 4-5 years, no telling what else would need to be done, and they are wanting 20K. I told her I would maybe pay 8-10K !!!  

I hear ya. Of course my thinking is purely theoretical, as I have crates of welding rod at my disposal. And the old girl just gets stronger and stronger, as only old Rovers can do. Now she'll make the final 12% grade to Chez Nanuq in top gear, and she wouldn't a year ago.

Too bad we can't use hammers and welding rod on our watch movements to keep them running. ;)

I personally do not like cheap £20 Chinese fake watches. That said, I'm all for modified genuine watches using genuine parts.

welcome to the forum, wow, what an entrance!

Appreciate the apologies.

We do have some nice members here actually.

I am starting vascular fellowship this summer and will also be training as a flight surgeon later this year.  

What do you do?

Nice watches, thought i'd share a few of mine so you can see some of the stuff we have on this forum.

;)

CoREFv2.jpg

qkmADCs.jpg

regret selling this one all the time.. ..sold it way too cheap!

mpJ6vju.jpg

my breitling is a little older than yours....

chPi2vF.jpg

Edited by CharlieUK