When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a movement and dial...

Beachcomber

Just picked up a nice gen 1970s 5513 no serif dial and I have a 1560 movement (installed in a 1002) just wondering how much I would have to put into this to put together a nice vintage 5513? So I guess I would need a hand set and case, crown etc. then I should be good to go, no? Have a look

at this beautiful dial, I smell

A project in the making.

280815136cdb960e57ed6d5afb6a1bda.jpg90b27fac62cc5f6884234e7663bd7d04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rough estimate would be for all the parts for a very very nice build:

Yuki 5513 case set - $600
gen crown - $150-$200 (try VRM or here)
gen crystal (really makes a difference) - $150 (try VRM)
gen hands - $250-$350 (try VRM or Rolexforums)
gen bezel assembly complete (bezel, retainer ring, washer, insert) - $750 (try VRM)

It is absolutely not cheap to build a watch around a gen dial and movement, but the end result is worth it. I went a bit over budget on my Franken 5514, but it is now my favorite watch, and I hardly wear any other watch.

Edited by netniet

Pffffffffffffft, the dial is garbage.  Send it to me for "disposal".

:Jumpy:

Good luck. That's a nice dial. I can't wait to see what you do with it. You could always use an Athaya 702 while you hunt for a gen.

Super dial :)

A rough estimate would be for all the parts for a very very nice build:

Yuki 5513 case set - $600

gen crown - $150-$200 (try VRM or here)

gen crystal (really makes a difference) - $150 (try VRM)

gen hands - $250-$350 (try VRM or Rolexforums)

gen bezel assembly complete (bezel, retainer ring, washer, insert) - $750 (try VRM)

It is absolutely not cheap to build a watch around a gen dial and movement, but the end result is worth it. I went a bit over budget on my Franken 5514, but it is now my favorite watch, and I hardly wear any other watch.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks for the great comments, I'm putting 703 that I just picked up from a great member here. I'd really like a gen case or Phong but may settle for Yuki. So, who can I send it to when I get everything ready for mods or assembly? Any help?

Looks awesome. I'm curious about what one does with the handset in this case. I think sourcing a 5513 handset is reasonable enough, but do you just hope the lume will roughly match?

It is difficult but not impossible, you can always colour match them, I have a watchmaker that will do it and he does a really good job.

Finding gen hands is probably the toughest part. Also, a superdome is another difficult one. You have the key players. I would go all in and source as much gen as possible. Or, if you want quick, pick up the full case set from yuki to get started. Source the rest as you can, and go from there. Considering a gen 5513 is now around 5k you can get very, very good for much less. I now wish I had never sold mine!

Cool project, but it will be expensive.  Gen 5513's with matte dials, late 60's and even into the early 80's Maxi dials have gone up a lot in cost over the last couple of years.  A decent example is more like 7K now.  Good original examples are in the 10K range.  I check multiple sources everyday as I am after a birth year piece.  Good collector type pieces are bringing crazy money.  Gilt even more.  Once in a while I see one with no bracelet and an over-polished case with a service plexi and insert in the 5K range but they usually have other issues like service hands....I did manage to pick up a really nice 1970 1675 yesterday and that took a long time to find the one I wanted.    

I did a Yuki build and it turned out really nice,  Be happy to share some information with you.  The case needed some serious modding though.  Little too thick from Yuki, but with some good mods it can look very gen like.  I used the Yuki dial and hands and an ETA to reduce costs.  I was trying to make a 1966 model.   The most expensive parts other than the case were the gen 700 crown and tube and the gen MKIII insert.  Those inserts are going for $800 and up now if they are in good shape.  I had a gen 1966 7206 already from my big crown build but that would be another $1200-1500 for one in decent shape.  CWP or ABC watchwerks plexi is a good dome plexi and reasonably priced.  Sometimes you see "gen" t-19's for sale, but everyone I trust says they are not NOS gen so I have passed on those.  I do not think dbane is taking on any work or I would suggest him for the case mods and build.  Not sure who else may be able to help with the case.  Miseikped does some really good work. Matt is great for assembly but you would need to find someone else to do the case.   

Good luck.  If you want some pictures of anything specific on the Yuki PM me.      

• Like 1

Cool project, but it will be expensive.  Gen 5513's with matte dials, late 60's and even into the early 80's Maxi dials have gone up a lot in cost over the last couple of years.  A decent example is more like 7K now.  Good original examples are in the 10K range.  I check multiple sources everyday as I am after a birth year piece.  Good collector type pieces are bringing crazy money.  Gilt even more.  Once in a while I see one with no bracelet and an over-polished case with a service plexi and insert in the 5K range but they usually have other issues like service hands....I did manage to pick up a really nice 1970 1675 yesterday and that took a long time to find the one I wanted.    

I did a Yuki build and it turned out really nice,  Be happy to share some information with you.  The case needed some serious modding though.  Little too thick from Yuki, but with some good mods it can look very gen like.  I used the Yuki dial and hands and an ETA to reduce costs.  I was trying to make a 1966 model.   The most expensive parts other than the case were the gen 700 crown and tube and the gen MKIII insert.  Those inserts are going for $800 and up now if they are in good shape.  I had a gen 1966 7206 already from my big crown build but that would be another $1200-1500 for one in decent shape.  CWP or ABC watchwerks plexi is a good dome plexi and reasonably priced.  Sometimes you see "gen" t-19's for sale, but everyone I trust says they are not NOS gen so I have passed on those.  I do not think dbane is taking on any work or I would suggest him for the case mods and build.  Not sure who else may be able to help with the case.  Miseikped does some really good work. Matt is great for assembly but you would need to find someone else to do the case.   

No way! You finally found the elusive GMT? I can't wait to see pics of this.

I've been admiring pics you have been posting lately of a 5513. Is this the Yuki build you are referring to? It really looks fantastic. That's a Yuki dial in there?

How absolutely necessary is it to work on the Yuki case? Can someone get by without any reshaping?

i got some gen tritium 5513 hands. if interested make me an offer

6841269450_304d3683ba_z.jpg

No way! You finally found the elusive GMT? I can't wait to see pics of this.

I've been admiring pics you have been posting lately of a 5513. Is this the Yuki build you are referring to? It really looks fantastic. That's a Yuki dial in there?

How absolutely necessary is it to work on the Yuki case? Can someone get by without any reshaping?

CGs still need doing. the backside of the cgs are also a definite indicator of it not being an original case and i dont think you can easily fix that issue.

@Mendota Explorer, ^^^ this and the lugs are a little thick.  Overall OTB whole case just looks "fat".  You certainly can use it and it does accept gen parts so a decent option budget wise.  However, if I did have a plan to have Dbane do the case work, I would have went another route for a case set.  FYI GMT should be here via fedex any minute now......should be a wristy here shortly :pimp:

Think I'm either going to go Phong or better yet Gen. Got some feelers out on a Gen but difficult to find (and expensive) I'm thinking maybe Gen all the way would be better.

Thanks a lot for the information, as I said I think I'm going to bit the bullet and go Gen all the way (maybe Phong, your opinion?)

You can always find a gen 5513 that has a damaged dial, buy the complete watch head for something like 4k and replace with your dial. I found a gen 5513 with a fake dial for 3K and now im free to put any dial I want. A phong case and movement, crystal etc will run you the same amount if not more... food for thought

Edited by cc33
  • Like 1

^^^^what CC said.  I spent almost 3K building my Yuki and while it is a very nice watch and would be fine if I was going to keep it forever, but I tend to be a serial flipper and I am always looking for the next thing.  The trouble with spending this much on a franken is resale is really tough and I hate parting out good watches that are already built.  I am looking for a gen 5513 now and at some point will end up selling my Yuki at a huge loss.  There seems to be a fine line between cost to build a franken versus just buying a gen.     

If you can be patient you can find a set up like CC is talking about.  There is/was one for sale over on TRF from a very reputable vintage dealer.  It is a redial and if I remember was around 5K.  Especially if the set up has some hard to find parts like an MKII or III insert, dome plexi, 700 crown and so on.  Market is stagnant right now so never hurts to make an offer.  You can always sell off the parts you do not use and in the end you have a genuine 5513.       

• Like 1

You can always find a gen 5513 that has a damaged dial, buy the complete watch head for something like 4k and replace with your dial. I found a gen 5513 with a fake dial for 3K and now im free to put any dial I want. A phong case and movement, crystal etc will run you the same amount if not more... food for thought

A complete case set from Phong including gen crown, tube and crystal and correct engravings is 1250, not too bad when you consider it's probably the best you can get apart from Gen.

Think I'm either going to go Phong or better yet Gen. Got some feelers out on a Gen but difficult to find (and expensive) I'm thinking maybe Gen all the way would be better.

Thanks a lot for the information, as I said I think I'm going to bit the bullet and go Gen all the way (maybe Phong, your opinion?)

The Miller Dave has a gen case 2.1 mil serial #  PM him.