When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Going To Happen? Horrifying Story!

flavor flav

about two years ago i sold a co-worker one of my cartier pasha reps (nice ETA gmt model from paul) anyways he knows it's a rep... it's been his daily beater for a quite awhile now so it's showing alot of wear on the bracelet and case. lots of scratches. i think he may have told his wife he won it in a bet so she would not be mad at him for spending money (all us married guys know the story) anyways he never told her it's fake. i offer to clean it up for him. i was going to complete tear down, service, refinish the case and bracelet and make it like new again in return for a case of redbull LOL! anyways he tells his wife i was going to restore it for him. two days later he wakes up and his watch is gone.... he asks his wife where it went and she says for a christmas present to him, she took it to the Cartier AD to have it sent out back to the manufacturer to have it refinished and serviced :black_eye: it cost her over $400! imagine the horror!!!!! he still has not heard anything back from the AD as to when it will be finished.......... what do you think will happen next? :blowup:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not good. Cartier is famous for smashing reps with a hammer on the spot. It is probably 100% certain that the watch in question is in a thousand pieces. The best solution would be to buy another rep to replace it. Sounds like a tight squeeze in any event. :wounded1:

This is not good. Cartier is famous for smashing reps with a hammer on the spot. It is probably 100% certain that the watch in question is in a thousand pieces.

Is that even remotely legal?? After all, rep or not, it's his PROPERTY :black_eye: .

Hypothetically, what if he bought this thinking it was gen for some several thousand dollars, and they smashed it... wouldn't they be responsible for damaging HIS property?

I've told this story here before, but I think it's worth repeating...

My local AD had a guy bring in a rep Rolex Datejust for repair. He bought it assuming it was real. They sent it back to Rolex and in a few weeks, got a letter from their legal department saying that they are keeping the watch, as it has their trademark on it, and suggested that the gentleman purchase a genuine Rolex from an authorized dealer.

If the bank sends your counterfeit bill back to the treasury dept., you don't get it back either.

Tragic tale, but look on the bright side. You have one hellofa story that you won't soon forget. You should be able to get a lot of milage out of this one. This is up there with Nanuk's tossing his sub(dweller?) rep into the ocean, to the horror of several onlookers. (if you haven't read that, it's worth a search, I don't know if it's here or on the old forum)

My local AD had a guy bring in a rep Rolex Datejust for repair. He bought it assuming it was real. They sent it back to Rolex and in a few weeks, got a letter from their legal department saying that they are keeping the watch, as it has their trademark on it, and suggested that the gentleman purchase a genuine Rolex from an authorized dealer.

If the bank sends your counterfeit bill back to the treasury dept., you don't get it back either.

Tragic tale, but look on the bright side. You have one hellofa story that you won't soon forget. You should be able to get a lot of milage out of this one. This is up there with Nanuk's tossing his sub(dweller?) rep into the ocean, to the horror of several onlookers. (if you haven't read that, it's worth a search, I don't know if it's here or on the old forum)

That story about the Rolex being dumped in the sea was hilarious - I remember that from quite a while ago!

Anyway, I think that the only point about the original post is to try to be a bit honest with one's spouse. I would never pretend to my wife that a rep was a gen - I may sometimes shave a few dollars off what I actually paid but that's another story.... !!

Is that even remotely legal?? After all, rep or not, it's his PROPERTY :black_eye: .

Hypothetically, what if he bought this thinking it was gen for some several thousand dollars, and they smashed it... wouldn't they be responsible for damaging HIS property?

Remote legality aside, the proprietary copyright holder can in times of defense of proprietary claims, cancel or destroy any counterfeit claims to the copyright if they are within their domain. If someone voluntarily gives a counterfeit product to the rightful copyright holder then yes, it is perfectly legal for them to annihiliate it to smithereens. Case Closed and boo hoo hoo.

Yup, it's called "defending your trademark". What's worse is they may charge him for the time. :black_eye:

Or, they could just keep it for the collection, like Matt Groening does with counterfeit Simpsons stuff.

Goodbye watch!!

goodbye wife!!

;)

Another example of replica misuse. Mr Bigstuff about to take a fall.

What kind of money do these people make that doofus passes off a Cartier as genuine to his wife? If I came home with a $5000 watch on my wrist some day without discussing it with Mrs Cranium, you can be damn sure she'd want to know where I got the money, why I spent it without talking about it, how irresponsible it was....and I don't think it would be on my wrist for very long.

If I'm going to scam my wife, (just a hypothetical honey!!!!) I'd buy a genuine and pass it off as a fake to her. At least that way I'd get to keep it.

You should tell your pal that a)he ain't never going to see is watch again, and b)if he thiks he still feels the need to impress his wife with a fancy watch, or if he's afraid she'd think he's pathetic for wearing a fake watch, he has far more serious problems in his life than his rep.

You should tell your pal that a)he ain't never going to see is watch again, and b)if he thiks he still feels the need to impress his wife with a fancy watch, or if he's afraid she'd think he's pathetic for wearing a fake watch, he has far more serious problems in his life than his rep.

:clap3::clap:

This is so true I was advised this from my Rolex Dealer ( Reis Nichols) The sells person had never seen a 1680 and thought it might be fake. I know people on this board get mad at me but you really do need to keep your reps out of AD show rooms.

Edited by tonyp1

I dont think most people on this board wear fakes to impress others. Most of the people on here have a watch fetish. Honestly your not going to impress anyone with a steel anything. Now if your wearing GOLD now thats a different story. The rappsters have took that to a unreachable level (unless you make seven figures).

Edited by tonyp1

I was once in an AD Rolex showroom, it is about the only one where I live, there are only a couple of crusty old models...

Anyway the dealer saw I was wearing a turn-o-graph and assumed it was real, as it was (and still is) an excellent replica from Joshua. He asked to try it on.

no sir ee bob.

I was once in an AD Rolex showroom, it is about the only one where I live, there are only a couple of crusty old models...

Anyway the dealer saw I was wearing a turn-o-graph and assumed it was real, as it was (and still is) an excellent replica from Joshua. He asked to try it on.

no sir ee bob.

Please post a pic of your turnograph. All the ones ive seen have really awful date wheels.

Edited by tonyp1

I agree. I've won reps before, and the first question my wife asks is "what's it worth?". If my response was "$5000, its genuine", hers would be "hand it over, we're selling it!".

Damn, that's exactly what Mrs Pugwash would do. Still, it means she is happy for me to have replicas as they're cheaper.

As it is, she thinks I get more free watches than even you guys think I get. I must say, winning a POM or a raffle allows you to buy at least another couple of watches. "Did you win another one?" "Er, yes dear, sure. Of course I wouldn't spend any more money on another watch."

I'm hoping she doesn't notice I've got 24 filled watchbox slots when she visits in a few weeks, or else I'm going to have to explain how there were dozens of Christmas raffles and I won them all. :black_eye:

That sucks for your friend but did I hear you say that she paid $400 for it up front? When my gens go out for service they dont charge me up front, only when the watch has returned.

I noticed that too. Upfront payment for a watch service sounds "out of the blue"...unless it's for a standard service.

I noticed that too. Upfront payment for a watch service sounds "out of the blue"...unless it's for a standard service.

I imagine she took the watch in, asked how much to clean it up and the guy behind the counter said "You need a full service. That'll be $400 if you love him".

Damn, that's exactly what Mrs Pugwash would do. Still, it means she is happy for me to have replicas as they're cheaper.

As it is, she thinks I get more free watches than even you guys think I get. I must say, winning a POM or a raffle allows you to buy at least another couple of watches. "Did you win another one?" "Er, yes dear, sure. Of course I wouldn't spend any more money on another watch."

I'm hoping she doesn't notice I've got 24 filled watchbox slots when she visits in a few weeks, or else I'm going to have to explain how there were dozens of Christmas raffles and I won them all. :black_eye:

Another vote for the little woman would notice and ask.