When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean 45mm

r11co

My black Planet Ocean from Andrew is looking more and more like a pup. Firstly there was the issue with the incompatible strap, which Andrew has acknowledged and I await a replacement.

However, something had always bothered me about the crystal - it seemed 'misty', and it appears this is not an isolated case.

I took the back off with the intention of removing the movement and giving the inside of the crystal a clean and discovered this...

19468-2587.jpg

Yes, that's corrosion on the rotor screw. :o

I have informed Andrew and await his reply.

PS. Can anyone advise me how to safely remove the stem from this watch so I can see if the crystal is fogged or was in fact manufactured that way? It's the new 21j Asian movement with the pink tinted hour wheel.

Edited by r11co

If you look at that picture;

If you rotate the rotor a littlebit more to the left, there should be a small "pin" you can push, just where the stem enters the movement. You'll need a small pin or something. Just give it a light push, hold down and you should be able to pull the stem out.

If you look at that picture;

If you rotate the rotor a littlebit more to the left, there should be a small "pin" you can push, just where the stem enters the movement. You'll need a small pin or something. Just give it a light push, hold down and you should be able to pull the stem out.

That's what I was looking for and expected to find (as per the 28xx ETAs).

Here's a closer look with the rotor out the way...

19503-2583.jpg

That's what I was looking for and expected to find (as per the 28xx ETAs).

Here's a closer look with the rotor out the way...

19511-2581.jpg

See the two gears where the stem goes into the watch, above the top one, the small pin, this is the stem release.

The rust is not due to water, it's because whoever installed the movement did not use watch paper to protect it during installation, and they touched the rotor screw with their fingers, the salt and moisture on your finger is enough to rust the movement...if water had gotten in the movement, it would not be running...

RG

Thats a bummer man. I've had mine now for two or three days. Very nice looking watch especially for the money. I've showered in it no problem. I wouldn't ever try and take it for a swim though. I'm thinking about popping he case back just to check and make sure my movement appears clean.

Andrew will take care of you though. He really is Trusty.

@r11co......this could happen to any dealer.......it's not Andrew's fault.....as The Zigmeister said....it's 'sweat rust.....the assembler probably placed his fingertip on the rotor to spin into place or put the screw in....but it's not the end of the world....one of those abrasive pens rubbed lightly across it should remove the rust.......!

PS....here's the release button for the crown.....red arrow...!

19681-2553.jpg

@r11co......this could happen to any dealer.......it's not Andrew's fault.....as The Zigmeister said....it's 'sweat rust.....the assembler probably placed his fingertip on the rotor to spin into place or put the screw in....but it's not the end of the world....one of those abrasive pens rubbed lightly across it should remove the rust.......!

I know! I'm not overly conecrned about the movement as it appears to be working despite this, but the 'sweaty fingered assembler' has left enough moisture in the case to cause the crystal to mist up too.

I haven't flamed Andrew, but I did email him to let him know this was what was being shipped out.

PS....here's the release button for the crown.....red arrow...!

Neil-

When are we going to see your version of the 45mm PO? :D

@r11co......this could happen to any dealer.......it's not Andrew's fault.....as ziggy said....it's 'sweat rust.....the assembler probably placed his fingertip on the rotor to spin into place or put the screw in....but it's not the end of the world....one of those abrasive pens rubbed lightly across it should remove the rust.......!

19818-2524.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah Kneel (after tonight anyway) but it ain't just about the rusty centre pin......it's about the crappy crystal, the dodgy dial, the WRONG band and the quality control. Do we now get a free "one of those abrasive pens" with every purchase?

Hail Hail. Championees!

JTB

Yeah yeah yeah Kneel (after tonight anyway) but it ain't just about the rusty centre pin......it's about the crappy crystal, the dodgy dial, the WRONG band and the quality control. Do we now get a free "one of those abrasive pens" with every purchase?

Stroll on brother.

Hail Hail. Championees!

JTB

PS - Please reduce the width of your sig photo so that we don't have to scroll along with our miniscule 19" monitors to read what everybody's writing. Cheers bud.

Please keep us updated about andrew's response.

Well...

Addressed the question via email to affected person who started the thread. If there is an address of concern whether the movement will be ok, I have assured him I will take back the faulty one and send a new one.

>TTK< Thanks for the comment. Sometimes, the sweat rust and the weather in Asia plus the humidity levels will get the watches fog up on the glass if you do not screw the crown in properly also..

Thanks!

Your trustywatchguy,

Andrew

it ain't just about the rusty centre pin......it's about the crappy crystal, the dodgy dial, the WRONG band and the quality control.

Well, if it gets up yer humph, you know the answer...dontcha......but buying from a Proddy......doesn't sound like ya....!