When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Repaired Rollie "Singer" dial Re-Lume...tried to fix the bad lume job...

I think most will remember this dial here that I posted pics of last week. It was relumed by someone other than me, and send to me to see if I could salvage it. A real shame as it’s a “Singer” dial…here are the pics of the

BEFORE

22908-1592.jpg

22908-1593.jpg

22908-1594.jpg

22908-1595.jpg

Well I really felt bad for the owner and decided to see if I could improve and salvage the lume and try and fix the damage on the dial…

Here’s what I managed to do…not perfect, still some damage visible, but overall I am pleased with my workmanship. I removed the bad lume, reworked the dial where it was damaged, and relumed it with a custom colour I mixed up to replicate a vintage model. I just finished restoring a 50 year old Doxa with nice aged lume, and used that colour as my guide for this one…

AFTER Re-Work

22908-1596.jpg

22908-1597.jpg

22908-1598.jpg

22908-1599.jpg

22908-1600.jpg

And a bit of a glow shot, not as bright as normal untinted lume, but in this case, being a vintage piece, probably more realisitic.

22908-1601.jpg

I think the owner will be pleased with the results.

Thanks for looking,

RG

Rob-

How did you keep the paint so even? Did you use anything other than a small brush?

The lume is not applied with a brush, it's done with a fine needle.

How do I keep it even and flow out nice and smooth? 30 years of painting with oil paints is probably a big part of it. That and having invested hunderds of hours in perfecting the workmanship and reluming dozens and dozens of dials...

Practice, practice, and more practice...and mistakes along the way...on my own watches...

RG

After that,

i must say to clear the fact that was my "horrible" job.... :(

That was the second attempt to do do it better.....

Ashes on my head.

The first attempt looked like this.....

23188-1515.jpg

i wanted to do it more vintage that was the mistake....

ok ok, shame on me.....

the new owner told me that he is happy with the watch,he sayed nothing to me about the dial.

But i ask him....

PS On the mbw vintages there are mostly Singer Dials......

By the way impressive work,not like my second attempt. :wounded1:

Edited by Tribal

After that,

i must say to clear the fact that was my "horrible" job.... :(

That was the second attempt to do do it better.....

Ashes on my head.

The first attempt looked like this.....

23330-1458.jpg

i wanted to do it more vintage that was the mistake....

ok ok, shame on me.....

the new owner told me that he is happy with the watch,he sayed nothing to me about the dial.

But i ask him....

PS On the mbw vintages there are mostly Singer Dials......

By the way impressive work,not like my second attempt. :wounded1:

I did not know who had done the relume. I know who the owner who sent me the watch was (of course) but when I looked the the lume, I said to the owner of the watch:

"I dont' want to know who did the relume, I am only interested if you would like me to try and see if I can fix it and make it better..."

The owner never told me who did the relume as it was not important to know.

My reason for posting was to simply compare and show that indeed it was fixed up and made to look better...I had no other intentions but to show that it was fixed up.

Others have sent me genuine vinatge pieces with terrible relume, and this was also to show them that I could fix their vintage pieces without runing the dials...

I have always admired Tribal and the work he has done and the fact he is willing to try and do mods himself.

If I offended you in any way, please accept my apology tribal, it was not my intent...until I read your post, I did not know who did the work...

I have 30 years of oil artistic painting under my belt and 2 ruined personal watches that I practiced my lume on...so even with that advantage, I screwed up my first attempts...

There is no shame in this at all, luming is not easy and totally unforgiving...

RG

As the owner of the watch and in fairness to all, I have to say that Rob had no idea who had done the previous work. In truth, it was one of several pieces I had sent to Rob for relume (including another MBW). And as Tribal says I am happy with the watch and have certainly never complained. His other mods on the watch are fabulous. I simply took advantage of the fact that the watch was with Rob anyhow for a crown upgrade to get the dial redone. So cheers to everyone. :)

I did not know who had done the relume. I know who the owner who sent me the watch was (of course) but when I looked the the lume, I said to the owner of the watch:

"I dont' want to know who did the relume, I am only interested if you would like me to try and see if I can fix it and make it better..."

The owner never told me who did the relume as it was not important to know.

My reason for posting was to simply compare and show that indeed it was fixed up and made to look better...I had no other intentions but to show that it was fixed up.

Others have sent me genuine vinatge pieces with terrible relume, and this was also to show them that I could fix their vintage pieces without runing the dials...

I have always admired Tribal and the work he has done and the fact he is willing to try and do mods himself.

If I offended you in any way, please accept my apology tribal, it was not my intent...until I read your post, I did not know who did the work...

I have 30 years of oil artistic painting under my belt and 2 ruined personal watches that I practiced my lume on...so even with that advantage, I screwed up my first attempts...

There is no shame in this at all, luming is not easy and totally unforgiving...

RG

Hi The Zigmeister,

no problem for me......

Im not offend or so....... :winkiss:

It was a mistake,i know and i stand for it,thats the reason i told that was my horrible job to everyone here....

no problem at all......

And a great job with fantastic result.....

im amazed in your workmanship........

Next time i will do it better.............. or better i ship it to you : )

RG Tribal

Edited by Tribal