When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK guys, perfect in every detail, but does it keep time?

Slartibartfast

Right, Im new here, I know, but I have read loads of posts about 'the detail here' and the 'engraving there', but at the end of the day, what is the verdict on how these reps keep time?

I really want to buy a rep (Omega PO), and use it daily,but all this would be pointless if the thing loses 5 mins an hour. Wouldn't you agree? Any experiences worth sharing would be appreciated. :)

Well my 7753 powered daylight is accurate to within +/- 20 seconds a day. I dont think you could ask for more than that!! They can all be adjusted anyway so it's not a big deal if they are not 100% when delivered. If you really want precision you should always go for an ETA movt wherever possible.

No mechanical movement, regardless whether gen or rep will keep the same time as a cheap quartz, but if you have made your way here then you share (with us) a love for the mechanical watch.

That said, by and large, the time keeping of rep watches are on par with gens.

Ken

My most recent acquisition was $500 brand new in 1974. Now it has appreciated considerably. :D

ROFLMAO... "appreciated considerably" I'll have to remember to use that next time my wife ask me how much I spent.... sounds like a good way to answer her without answering her. :)

Congrats on the new acquition! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Are you paying attention slartibartfast? Its a disease I tell you and the cure last only as long as the excitment of the last purchase. Welcome to the madness.

• 1 month later...

I adjust most of my watches to within 5 secs per day. I have a TTK PO with a 2824 movement that is +1 to +2 seconds per day. A Pan 111 and a 192 that are around +5 seconds per day. Also a Day-Date that is +3 seconds per day and a ExII that is around +2 seconds/day.

My first rep was an asian Sub which would be 15-17 mins slow after 2 days of running. I contacted my dealer and I sent it back for an upgrade to a swiss. This was probably just a fluke with the asian movement but I will only be buying swiss whenever possible.

My Omega SMP (2824) loose 2 minutes by month (2 seconds by day) after servicing. Before service, it gained 3-4 seconds a day.

My Vacheron Fantasy Power reserve with Seiko (cheap) Asian gain 20 seconds by month.. less than 1 second a day. No servicing. I think it's insane for the price. :p

Edited by vric

Most movements could probably get close to COSC standards. I think I only have one watch that wouldn't make that, and it's an old Russian one. Even that with a service might get close.

There are various conditions necessary to get the COSC certificate, but overall it needs to be within +6/-4 seconds/day. That sounds good, expect that also translates to +3/-2 MINUTES/month. I personally wouldn't be happy with a watch that gained 6 minutes in the two months between a date change.

If the movement is clean and properly oiled, you should be able to get it pretty accurate depending on how you wear the watch. You can often fudge a bit when you set the watch down. Some positions may cause the watch to run a little slower and others a bit faster.

I have gotten some of my watches to be perfect over many months - got the regulation just right and then set them down correctly to gain or loose a bit as needed. However, with all of the watches now I only keep a few running at any given time (perhaps two or three for a week before switching watches) All of them are accurate enough that they're only off by a few seconds in the course of a week - certainly more than good enough for what I need.

Whose PO are you looking at? I have one from Andrew I'll sell cheap. Nearly perfect condition... never gets worn.

Hey Bob, if you're selling some stuff off, you know I'm always here should you get bored of your MBW DRSD. I'll freakin' fly up to Alaska, Man! Cash in hand!

:Jumpy:

Can you tell my search is going well?