When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This one's been simmering on the back burner for a while...

Guest avitt

Guest avitt

I just finished assembling this Daytona Cosmograph 6265:

264232-4856.jpg

264232-4857.jpg

264232-4858.jpg

264232-4859.jpg

Upgrades/features include:

A conditioned DW case

Timeman dial, with coronet transplanted from DW dial

Genuine vintage crown, with generic tube

Genuine Tropic 21

571 end links

Hollow 78350 bracelet

Exceptional bezel, with very deep stamping

Wittnauer VJ72 movement with microstella balance

Guest avitt
Beautiful work & watch, Avitt.

My only complaint is that it looks too new (and I only wish I had that problem).

Thanks, guys.

freddy333: On my Daytona's, I've made a conscious decision to give them a "straight from the RSC" look (as if the RSC would still service these...). I like the crystal perfectly clear, the case smooth, but without major blemishes, and the dial clean. To me, there is a real beauty in the radial starburst pattern of the dial, and the concentric rings of the subdials. There a sharpness, and sparkle that I like to show through as new.

The only thing that I feel is missing here is some slight aging of the "tritium" markers. This is apparent on genuines...even the safe queens. I have done this with black dials before, but it was my determination that it is too risky on a silver dial. I am afraid the the dying agent may stain the dial itself, which would look quite unsightly.

Here is a picture of a genuine, which represents my ideal:

264275-4836.jpg

Edited by avitt

The only thing that I feel is missing here is some slight aging of the "tritium" markers. This is apparent on genuines...even the safe queens. I have done this with black dials before, but it was my determination that it is too risky on a silver dial. I am afraid the the dying agent may stain the dial itself, which would look quite unsightly.

Avitt -- A brown or rust (or whatever your preference is for aged tritium) artist's pencil should do the trick. No muss, no fuss & and every artist's supply (and some office supply) has them. But, were it mine, I would leave them the way they are.

The thing that catches my eye is the overall pristine appearance of the entire watch. The crisp lines and perfectly smooth surfaces. Even after a Rolex overhaul (which is usually the look I go for myself), I do not think the case and dial would look quite that pristine. Actually, I think what bothers me (and it is a relatively minor detail) are the perfectly rounded edges. I think you may have smoothed them a bit too accurately. New, the lines would be crisp & clearly defined. But after 30+ years of use, Rolex overhauls & successive polishings, there would be some irregularities in the lines of the case and bezel. That is why I purposely took a file to the sides of my DRSD (you can see this in some of the recent shots of the He valve side of the watch), so the light would reflect differently in the peaks & valleys of the metal that would have appeared after successive polishes.

Guest avitt
Avitt -- A brown or rust (or whatever your preference is for aged tritium) artist's pencil should do the trick. No muss, no fuss & and every artist's supply (and some office supply) has them.

Thanks freddy. I had been using liquid stains. I'll give your method a try on some old dials...

Boy do I envy you.

I searched for a DW case for the 6265 for quite awhile, but had no luck. Eventually I wanted this watch so much that I settled for the piece you see here. Certainly not the caliber of your Daytona, but for me it will always be my favorite model.

I especially love the silver dial. The depth of your tach etching is impressive. Way better than the photo of the gen you illustrated. On my piece the etching is way to shallow, but...I LOVE this watch.

Beautiful work. Wear it well.

post-22-1181844738_thumb.jpg

Guest avitt
The thing that catches my eye is the overall pristine appearance of the entire watch. The crisp lines and perfectly smooth surfaces. Even after a Rolex overhaul (which is usually the look I go for myself), I do not think the case and dial would look quite that pristine. Actually, I think what bothers me (and it is a relatively minor detail) are the perfectly rounded edges. I think you may have smoothed them a bit too accurately. New, the lines would be crisp & clearly defined. But after 30+ years of use, Rolex overhauls & successive polishings, there would be some irregularities in the lines of the case and bezel. That is why I purposely took a file to the sides of my DRSD (you can see this in some of the recent shots of the He valve side of the watch), so the light would reflect differently in the peaks & valleys of the metal that would have appeared after successive polishes.

I've been thinking about this statement, freddy333. I agree with you, regarding the 1665. That watch is clearly a tool watch, and should show some heavy use (I wouldn't hesitate to wear mine while doing work around the house, yard, or car). However, the Daytonas, while from the same era, were luxury watches...and chronographs at that. As such, they were not subjected the same abuses (unless they were owned by GP drivers :1a: ). For me, it is completely satisfying for the Daytonas to have a crisp, polished look. (I really don't want them to have the "Jensen Dinh" look.) Remember, also, that these watches are in my regular rotation...They are bound to pick up some scratches and dings from normal use.

Gorgeous watch, Avitt!

I am very impressed with the silver. I think that I might have to add a silver dialed Daytona to the fold.

Wow, what a watch... Part of what makes it so great is the amount of time, perserverance, and patience it takes to carefully collect/mod all of the appropriate parts. Finishing a watch like this is akin to savoring a lovely 1993 Pinot Noir. Maturation comes only via time & great effort sprinkled with a little good fortune. Enjoy your lovely timepiece!

Cheers from your buddy Euno :)

• 1 month later...

Hot damn! That's nice! I just love the white panda dial. Good job avitt!

I just finished assembling this Daytona Cosmograph 6265:

299067-3624.jpg

299067-3625.jpg

299067-3626.jpg

299067-3627.jpg

Upgrades/features include:

A conditioned DW case

Timeman dial, with coronet transplanted from DW dial

Genuine vintage crown, with generic tube

Genuine Tropic 21

571 end links

Hollow 78350 bracelet