When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I survived contact with water!

FxrAndy

This being my 1000th post i thought i try to find some thing out we might all find interesting.

What i would like to do is compile a list of all the reps we have that have survived contact with a pool or the sea, i know we just had the PO listing but this is all rep watches from a cheep Canal st one to the modern super (price) reps. I dont mean this to be a list for noobs to use as material to complain to collectors because their rep leaked after all these are reps and not subject to a lot if any QC. What i would like members here to do is reply to my next post and add to the list with you name, watches where it has been in the water and what you did to it in the hope it would survive.

Like this

Me, IWC grand complication, Mariana trench, Checked the back was on.

This may provide some confidence in the reps we have, as so far i have found all my seven sports reps to at least be pool proof.

many thanks for your time and responces.

FxrAndy,

Asian SD, shallow diving in cyprus, nothing

Omega AT, pool and shallow diving in Bulgaria, nothing

Fiddy, Garden Pool, checked the back was on tight and adjusted CG

Railmaster, 3m pool Nothing

Noob 3m pool lubes case back gaskets after movement swap

EX2 3m pool Nothing

Silix 007 PO 3m pool Nothing

I haven't been too brave with testing mine. I have no need to use them in water, so they stay dry. However, I do have one sucess that I tested. At a rating of 1000ft, it survived my biggest water test I have ever done....... Drum roll please..... Steelfish, in my sink :)

Congrats on the 1000th post too!!

MBK Patek Nautilus Jumbo- Tested to 150m

MBK AP Royal Oak Jumbo- Tested to 150m

FrankenSub 16610 (self built)- Tested to 150m

These three are the ones I take swimming, etc.; almost on a daily basis this Summer. All 3 have not had any additional work performed to make them water resistant, aside from testing (i.e. they are as they were out of the package, except the Sub, which I put together).

The others in my collection are untested and don't see water.

Recently...

Josh's $188 swiss rolex sub that I got superlumed by The Zigmeister (no other mods) - Hot tub on the Carnival Valor and cave tubing in Belize

Swiss SFSP that I got superlumed by The Zigmeister - Hot tub on the Carnival Valor, the beach at Isle Roaton and pool in Costa Maya Mexico.

Basically I used these two reps on the cruise as my activity watches. They both passed with flying colors.

-- m4rcus

Dont tease other into putting their watches in the pool :yeah: .....even if it has a real potential of getting your post count way up ;)

Congratulations on you watches and on reaching 1000 posts :group: ....myself i quit being a 1k virgin back in 2004 on good old original site.......

Best wishes

Gunnar :thumbsupsmileyanim:

FxrAndy,

Asian SD, shallow diving in cyprus, nothing

Omega AT, pool and shallow diving in Bulgaria, nothing

Fiddy, Garden Pool, checked the back was on tight and adjusted CG

Railmaster, 3m pool Nothing

Noob 3m pool lubes case back gaskets after movement swap

EX2 3m pool Nothing

Silix 007 PO 3m pool Nothing

Baltic Old PAM 005 went swimming in river and came through unscathed

Rxus SFSO, lots of pool time and 15m spear fishing off the coast of Key largo

Ubi

FrankenSub 16610 (self built)- Tested to 150m

m4rcus

Josh's $188 swiss rolex sub that I got superlumed by Ziggy (no other mods) - Hot tub on the Carnival Valor and cave tubing in Belize

Swiss SFSP that I got superlumed by Ziggy - Hot tub on the Carnival Valor, the beach at Isle Roaton and pool in Costa Maya Mexico.

Add the rest to the end of this guys and gals

$800 Eurofakes Submariner - Heavy swimming and diving in a pool and hot baths with no problems whatsoever with no waterproofing or testing.

42mm Planet Ocean - Heavy swimming and diving in a pool and hot baths with no problems whatsoever with no waterproofing or testing.

'Canal Street' SMP 2531.80 - Fogged up after hot bath. Continued to work.

Decent SMP 2531.80 - Survived sink immersion with no leaking. Untested in bath or pool, but taken into watchsmiths for waterproofing.

45mm Planet Ocean - Survived accidental immersion in hot bath without leaking but immediately removed from water. HE valve has a black 'ring' above the 'tube' so possibly waterproofed. Will be waterproofed after the return of SMP 2531.80

My other watches are on leather straps, so they never get wet.

• 3 weeks later...

My Cheep 177H from TTK survived the 3m test, 3m up and 3 m down no problems, i assumed that the bigest problem would be the temperature, it was 30 odd deg C in the sun and the water was cold!!!!,

I did do a bit of work on this one though, i filed down the feet of the crown guards to get a more positive closure and waxed the leather strap to hell!

Are those TTK's?

I understand he goes into an intensive quality check with his watches before sending them, from close detail inspection to waterproffing to 2 ATM (e.g. 10m, witch is far from 150m)...

Are those TTK's?

I understand he goes into an intensive quality check with his watches before sending them, from close detail inspection to waterproffing to 2 ATM (e.g. 10m, witch is far from 150m)...

Actually, I picked mine up from other sources, and had them tested on my own :) But my AP and PP are exactly the same as what TTK sells...

And, speaking of submerging watches underwater... About to hit the pool for an early morning swim with the kids. It's been a while since I've worn my 16610 frankenstein, so it's time to give it a little attention...

285903-8561.jpg

:)

Last week walking through torrential rain with a silix PAM036 on rubber strap... was worried it let in water (as I was wearing it on the right wrist exposing the CG to the rain) but it was fine. And I managed to get my lunch home without it getting wet :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-175-1185904833_thumb.jpgpost-175-1185904907_thumb.jpg

The 3-6-9 Submariner tested to 4 atm and it's been swimming and wade fishing over my head.

The William Marshall has been down to 90 feet and is OK. The bezel did get kinda crudded up w/ salt water though- may try some WD-40 on it to loosen things up.

Further Update...

Omega Seamaster Professional 2220.80 - Extended submersion in hot baths, no hint of fogging or leaking... Gone swimming with it twice (without pressure testing first) No heavy exertion, more a case of 'paddling about in the water', but still no hint of fogging or leaking :victory:

ETA DRSD 1665 from UK dealer (swisstime - now defunct) the watch is the basic submariner conversion case. Interestingly it fogged up on first immersion in a hot bath. I opened the screw down crown and left it to dry out then bathed in it again and it has not fogged up since. I call it my 'workhorse' and it has been immersed in all sorts of crap and has been snorkelling more times than I can remember - no problem.

Also MBW DRSD 1665 from George it bathes quite happily but has not been swimming - yet!