When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

By-Tor

I went to a few genuine watch groups today, just to lurk around. I found out that quite a few people are posting pictures of replicas to the genuine watch groups... even comparison shots... and "educating" the WIS how well the new Planet Ocean and Submariner has been replicated.

Apparently these people are RWG members.

What the hell do you think you'll achieve with that? Do you think those guys are idiots? They are well aware of the high end replicas (and I'm sure many of them are members here). You're not doing favours to anyone when you post your fake pictures there. You draw unwanted attention to the whole replica scene and on top of that embarrass yourself.

If you think you can pose your rep as a genuine you'd better think again. Most of those guys are real hardcores and they WILL spot your rep (no matter how good you think it is), you can be sure about that.

I've seen that happen at WatchUSeek, TimeZone and John Holmbrook's forum. Please stop it. DO NOT POST REPLICA PICTURES TO THE GENUINE WATCH GROUPS!!! Is that really so hard to understand? Not even "educational" pictures. Those guys won't need (or want) your lessons, they know well enough how to spot a fake.

I'd like to suggest that people who do this should get booted from this community immediately, but I know it would be extreme. But these guys REALLY [censored] me off. The more "underground" this scene stays the better for everyone.

End rant. Sorry about that.

What the hell do you think you'll achieve with that? Do you think those guys are idiots? They are well aware of the high end replicas (and I'm sure many of them are members here). You're not doing favours to anyone when you post your fake pictures there. You draw unwanted attention to the whole replica scene and on top of that embarrass yourself.

If you think you can pose your rep as a genuine you'd better think again. Most of those guys are real hardcores and they WILL spot your rep (no matter how good you think it is), you can be sure about that.

End rant. Sorry about that.

No need to aplogize for the rant....Newbie here to RWG but not to the hobby of watches. There is a fine line between the rep and gen hobbies. And I don't think it should be crossed.

That [censored] pisses me off too

Could be that its members of the Gen sites that are lurking here, and reporting back.

In which case, not much we can do.

The members of the gen sites (at least the admins and hardcores) are probably lurking here but they DON'T WANT the fake pics and fake discussion into their forums. Yes, some of them may be closet rep collectors but they have "official" rules, sponsors and other stuff.

Reps are like shit on their carpet. At least officially. Then we have these idiots who go there and "educate" them... and yes... shit on their carpet.

"Just look how close this newest generation of PO is. Check out my bestest Sub from my favourite bestest dealer. Taiwan best, isn't it scary close?"

Bunch of f**king idiots... the gen guys (at least the admins) KNOW the rep forums and they'll leave us alone as long as we don't start an invasion over there (which seems to be happening right now). THEY DON'T WANT US THERE and they don't want stupid "how to spot a rep" lessons from a bunch of dorks. I seriously don't know what's so difficult to understand in this.

This is a great hobby because it's still "underground". Let's keep it as "underground" as possible. These people posting fakes to gen forums are not only shitting on THEIR carpet, they're also shitting on OUR carpet.

That's just like when that person from the old RWG was over at the Panerai forum, agitating them over there. Doing stuff like that is like going in to a cop bar and asking who wants to smoke a joint. If you're quiet & discrete, and stay with your own crowd, they pretty much leave you alone, just don't flaunt it in their faces.

B

Some folks just get a kick with their exhibition of replicas. Well, they seem to have forgotten how some experts in this line is able to tell a rep from a gen in a heartbeat.

Passing off a replica as a genuine is an ongoing problem and will not cease as these show-offs will continue their rampage behind the safety of their "user id's /nicks" behind their internet connection.

What's worst in fact is how these twarts even have the audacity to committ fraud by taking their replicas, photographing them, and posting them up for sale at a much discounted price next to genuines....

Sheesh....greed, next to showing off, one of the many deadly sins...

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how many times we say this there will still be members who post reps on gen forums, what drives them? the same thing that drives someone who walks into an AD wearing a rep.

Its a shame but some will never pick up on one fact..................rep is rep.

Ken

This makes for a time I am missing the old 'bashing-[stupid]-noobs'-style of RWG I. That was at least driving some idiots out from our forum.

Let's make it easy. First time warning. Second time banning.

Couldn't agree more- Tell us who to warn and who then would be banned!

Not being difficult here, I sincerely agree with the sentiments expressed.

But this thread is long on concepts- but short on facts.

Whilst its not a forum rule, I'm sure we can take up the cudgel- with these perpetrators- when we know who they are!!

offshore

Couldn't agree more- Tell us who to warn and who then would be banned!

And therein lies the problem, we need to know who posts these pic's not just who did the pic's orignally come from.

Ken

And therein lies the problem, we need to know who posts these pic's not just who did the pic's orignally come from.

Ken

And that's exactly why I didn't post any names or links. Pics can be "borrowed" too. Let's just hope this announcement helps.