When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NoobMariner: a pictorial and review of the real legendary one!

Stephane

Dear All,

I am very proud of posting a pictorial/review of a legend: The one and only NoobMariner

About the deal

After quite some deals with TTK now, I can't see any reasons to comment this one ;)

If you still don't know him, I'd suggest you discover this collector as soon as possible.

Why get one more Submariner

Well, it's simple. As a Newbie you need a NoobMariner.

Everyone is the Noob of someone so, being a Noob is a permanent state somehow  :whistling:

When I was a total Noob here, there was no Noobmariner available, at least not TTK's one.

The real reason why I wanted this one is since I discovered RWG, I read tons of great things about TTK's NoobMariner.

I wanted to own a piece of the legend.

So when he suddenly put it back online in his collector's section, I couldn't resist and jumped on it.

The watch

According to some members, with valuable opinions of course, this watch has the best Submariner dial and best bracelet out of the box.

It's powered by an Asian automatic movement.

And it costs…80€ / 110$ which puts this watch in competition with our CN collectors cheapest ones.

I would not go for a 119$ or 129$ dollar one now that I've seen the NoobMariner in person.

Not even with an Eta CN build movement!

Ziggy told us all that Asian movements were not bad ones after all.

So why would we worry?

Personal impressions

I will not comment everything but only what seemed obvious or surprising to me when I unpacked it.

Yes, the bracelet is fabulous and accurate.

Everybody knows this: it's very light and the noise of it gives a cheap feeling.

It's a hollow mid link and solid end link one.

I personally do not like that "light feeling" but must admit, that it is impressive.

What is fabulous is the shine of it.

I wish I could word this but I'm afraid my froglish hurts here.

It "glows" like "super lume" although it's a only a cheap brushed one of course.

See what I mean?  :g:

Even touching it is sweet & much smoother compared to the bracelets of my other 16610.

And this without even oiling it, by the way. Out of the box.

The movement is quite a surprise to me.

Ok, it's still an Asian, but don't you think it looks pretty with these blue screws and silver parts?

I expected one of these ugly ones rounded with a white plastic circle.

Nope, it's nice looking in my opinion.

Of course, when setting up the time or date, the feeling is nowhere close to an Eta.

I don't have that "fragile feeling" like I have with one of my Asian Omega for example though.

This one is more than pleasant to deal with.

I really wonder what movement it is in fact.

The Crown Guards: why the hell can't we have these ones on all Subs to start with. I'm not saying they are perfect but they look damn good compared to some Ultimate/SCP/BeginMariner or whatever…

This too was a surprise to me. Almost as good as an MBW.

The almost invisible laser edged crown on the crystal is a positive thing too.

You really need a loupe to see it.

And you know what, it's even almost centered under the 6 o'clock position.

Date magnification is quite good too. Pity that the font is not correct but that's such a habit.

The dial:

The minutes markers are correct around the Swiss Made. Small as per genuine.

I guess this is what makes the difference with an MBW, right?

Conclusion

Well, I am so happy to own one of these legendary watches.

Submariner wise, it's a very cool one and I would recommend it to everybody.

Now, having said that, do not expect to find a correct 16610 or any other Rolex 1:1 right out of the box.

It doesn't exist.

Your choice is simple:

- A NoobMariner for a 100$

- A MBW for 350$

If you want to start mods though, and you have enough budget, take both and mix them up.

By-Tor's original Noobmariner review is here

Cheers

Stephane

The Pictures

Please do not reply quoting the pictures as there are 22 and it would mess the speed of the thread and the forum. Thank you.

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-8.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-11.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-12.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-13.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-14.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-9.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-10.jpg

My god, these Crown Guards are not bad !

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-15.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-16.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-17.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-18.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-19.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-20.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-6.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-7.jpg

The bracelet is not bad either ;)

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-2.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-1.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_800.jpg

So, what is inside ?

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-3.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-4.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-5.jpg

Oh, and do not forget to remove that stupid green sticker

RolexSubmariner16610NoobMariner_-21.jpg

Congrats! You got the legend. :)

Actually I also owned a ETA version of this watch, which (imho) is the best Rolex 16610 rep "out of box". The TW/MBW versions have superior case depth and crystals... and perhaps a bit better "feel". But other than those Nooby runs circles around all others.

The dial of this watch is amazing. And as you said the cg's are very good. This is a great rep, and at $100 it's a lot of fun.

I think all Asian Noobys have the same movement. Pugwash said it's a Seagull of some sort.

The ETA Nooby had perhaps a little bit lower rehaut by the way. Weird.

283685-9845.jpg

Thanks Stephane for the review.'

I'm on a holiday right now having a quick look in the hotel lobby on RWG.

Mine is on it's way for almost one month so i might be lucky when in return from my holiday Friday finding a simple note from the post office that a parcel arrived for me.

Regards,

Cats

Congrats! You got the legend. :)

Actually I also owned a ETA version of this watch, which (imho) is the best Rolex 16610 rep "out of box". The TW/MBW versions have superior case depth and crystals... and perhaps a bit better "feel". But other than those Nooby runs circles around all others.

The dial of this watch is amazing. And as you said the cg's are very good. This is a great rep, and at $100 it's a lot of fun.

And I can promise you its got a good new home :thumbsupsmileyanim: and a new insert and pearl :victory:

Great review Stephane

Nice watch but the movement is bad,my noob works for 1,5 month,than the movemnt was dead :thumbdown:

I've had my Noob for about a year. Gave it to my nephew six months ago and got it back a couple of weeks ago- dead. Took it to the watchmaker and he serviced it for $40 and it's going again. Now I just have to find a pearl to put in the bezel insert.

Nice pics Stephane. And the pearl in the 2007 noob looks better than the original pearls.

Talk about sick, I've got a noob, a begin (gave to the nephew), Paul's so called perfect and Rivers noob w/ the CN eta copy movt.

They really are a damn nice subs right out of the box.

Stephane.... another nice review... thanks and welcome to the NOC (Noobmariner Owners Circle) :victory:

Straight out of the box, TTK's noobmariner is the best value-for-money replica you can buy. I have two, one for the missus and one for me. Since one year, they run like clockwork :animal_rooster:. On my wife's I had to replace the insert because she scratched it badly. I found a seller on the bay (wholesaleoutlet990) whose "BEZEL INSERT FOR ROLEX SUBMARINER BLACK 16800 TOP QLTY" fits perfectly without any (sanding) adjustment. It clicks right in - I still used a little glue but more for old habits... At 12,40$, it's a steal. Great pearl too.

We all are kids! :p

Funny how we still can get exited for the NoobMariner when having Franken or MBW or Modded, genuine Subs for some members even...

This is not a hobby. It's kindergarden ;)

@Pirate: thanks for the shot. Obvioulsy the Begin is really bad :yucky:

@Chubb: great tip, thanks. Is the pearl better than the NoobMariner's one ?

Great review and absolutely beautiful pics, Stephane :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've had my noobmariner 2 weeks tomorrow and so far, everyone who didn't know for a fact that it was rep (because I told them), thought it was a gen - and that includes 2 gen owners.

It keeps incredible time; some days a few seconds fast, some a few seconds slow and some, right on the button with the atomic clock. Even though I swore it would only be a dress watch, it's become my daily wear.

-Fred

• 1 month later...

Can anyone school me on this ....

does the asian movement in noob or for that any asian automatic makes the date change exactly at 00:00 (midnight)

i know swiss eta will snap the date forward on midnight spot on but im intersted if thats also the case with some asian auto. movements . The one i had start gradual date change around 22 30 and switch till midnight ... for me really an annoying feature ...

regards laz