When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy Crack'd

Victoria

This is incredible people. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Excitedly picked up my Fiddy package which I had bought from a member at RWI, and opened it to see this:

290110-5928.jpg

290110-5929.jpg

290110-5930.jpg

#4 Movement (edit)

290110-5931.jpg

This was the listing:

"For sale is a PAM 127 Luminor 1950

Worn once, still in mint condition. No scratches or

marks anywhere.

Keeping good time. Crown guard is solid and secure.

Originally from Andrew.

Specs are:

MOVEMENT: Asian Unitas 6497 Hand Wind

CASE DIAMETER: 47mm

THICKNESS: 16mm

DIAL COLOR: Black SandWich Dial

CASE MATERIAL: Stainless Steel 316L

BRACELET: Brown Leather Band with Big Pre-V Buckle

FRONT GLASS: Sapphire

BACK GLASS: Sapphire Display Case Back

BEZEL: Smooth Polished Bezel

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

CLASP TYPE: Big Pre-V Buckle"

[EDIT: Just read about how to tell if it's mineral glass, or sapphire glass. The "one drop" of water test. Well, it didn't bead up as with sapphire, but "expanded", so I'm guessing this is mineral glass. Which means, if this is true, that the listing was fraudulent...]

I also took a shot of the movement, to prove it's the right watch...

Just behind you can see the beautiful Kostas/V strap and the Greg Straps Crazy Horse on the equally fault-ridden PAM 199 from Paul. So far, V's strap was the best thing to happen to me, in a while. Thanks, darling. It's beautiful... :(

Contacted Andrew, and he said it's 100 USD to replace the crystal, if indeed Sapphire.

So, question, is this sapphire to begin with? Surely it wouldn't have cracked!??

And it's no where near mint condition. When taking the strap off, I noticed the lower lug screw is worn almost completely. Sigh.

P.S. (edit): For the sake of fairness, his shot of the Fiddy, which I had posted in the Fiddy Strap thread:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6898/pam1271ba7.jpg

...looks good there, doesn't it?

hey vee.. i thought mineral glass arent as prone to breaking as sapphire? :S.. but as to the water drop test.. from wat i can see that the glass is domed? if this is the case sometimes the water drop test dont work as in the case with my 3717 pilot.. it goes to the side when u drop it.. one other way to tell whether its a sapphire or a mineral is to see the clarity? coz with sapphire u can tell its like a real crystal glass (more shiny and clear, other word the glass itself looks very expensive) as for minerals it feels like plastic (u can see greeny tint on it and its not like an expensive watch).. so yeh im not really sure.. but anyway tap it with ur fingernails and hear the sound

hey vee.. i thought mineral glass arent as prone to breaking as sapphire? :S.. but as to the water drop test.. from wat i can see that the glass is domed? if this is the case sometimes the water drop test dont work as in the case with my 3717 pilot.. it goes to the side when u drop it.. one other way to tell whether its a sapphire or a mineral is to see the clarity? coz with sapphire u can tell its like a real crystal glass (more shiny and clear, other word the glass itself looks very expensive) as for minerals it feels like plastic (u can see greeny tint on it and its not like an expensive watch).. so yeh im not really sure.. but anyway tap it with ur fingernails and hear the sound

Plastic sound, all the way, now that you mention it. However, to be fair, could it be because the crystal is broken and thus the "resonance" of the sound is altered?

The reverse open caseback sounds similar, but not as plasticky.

I did the one drop test on my father's 007 SMP which I posted in the Omega thread. That for sure was sold as sapphire crystal. The one-drop beaded up and didn't roll or expand whatsoever.

I can't speak to the tint, as it's dark, and my eyes are tired. I'll check in the morning, out of curiosity.

I'm just going to ask for a full refund from the member, and possibly, stick to the RWG Trade area in future...

Thanks for your info, Armin. It has helped me a lot tonight.

It is also conceivable that it was sold to the seller as sapphire, but that it's mineral. I think quite a few were.

The issue of exploding fiddy's is also a real one (with sapphire).

You're having some [censored] luck! :wounded1:

As for replacements, if you take that road, I think DavidsenJPN would be a better route.

It is also conceivable that it was sold to the seller as sapphire, but that it's mineral. I think quite a few were.

The issue of exploding fiddy's is also a real one (with sapphire).

Blimey. That is bad news. By the way, I am in contact with Andrew about this. I think he originally thought I was blaming him or wanted a refund from him. *g*

I assured him that it wasn't his fault at all. Just wanted some info about the crystal replacement.

You're having some [censored] luck! :wounded1:

As me old Scottish grannie used to say, "Aye".

(Actually, she would never have said that, but it sounds good on paper)

As for replacements, if you take that road, I think DavidsenJPN would be a better route.

I would like to, but cannot afford him despite the fantabulous quality. Also, I want to piggyback on an shipping order I have with a dealer, so will probably buy one with him...

Hey, Cornerstone, thanks too. So very much. You know, it's funny. My recoup time in 'disappointment' is much much better than the first disastrous Paul mini-Fiddy, under a month ago. Then, I was devastated. It sounds silly, I know, but I'm human. :brow:

Though I am still so very sad now, I'm better just one hour from when I posted this.

I realised that there is a solution, be it refund, or what have you. And as for the Fiddy, there'll be others.

Shame, because the Fiddy which looks SO BAD on so many butch guys, looked fabulous on my dainty wrist when I put it on, cracked sapphire and all. B)

The exploding fiddy saga goes on. Thats a bummer there VB, the glass on your fiddy seems to be synthetic mineral for sure. Davidsen will send you a sapphire version, for replacement. His fiddys do not blow up and they are real sapphire. Because the fiddy glass cover is so large and curved, it has a much higher stress point, hence the explosions, and need for quality materials.

The exploding fiddy saga goes on.

At least it didn't happen in the middle of a restaurant, like with another member! That's not as callous as it sounds! Or is it... *g*

Thats a bummer there VB, the glass on your fiddy seems to be synthetic mineral for sure.

Yeah. The sound is just very different from my father's 007 and the other sapphire rep watches I have.

Davidsen will send you a sapphire version, for replacement. His fiddys do not blow up and they are real sapphire. Because the fiddy glass cover is so large and curved, it has a much higher stress point, hence the explosions, and need for quality materials.

When Andrew quoted the replacement price, I was gobsmacked. So much? He replied, it's domed, Vic. And so it is.

After posting this, I coincidentally saw a thread on this very topic on RWI -- is the sapphire in watch crystals really sapphire? You can read the very scientific reply given there.

Again, would love to go with Davidsen, but will probably stick to the collector I have in mind in order to take advantage of a package being sent Monday. At least this happened before then... :yuk:

Very nice watch by the way. The Fiddy is a rockstar. :thumbs:

I thought Davidsen's crystal was $65, or is that price years out of date? Another member might also have one for trade.

Ahh, but factor in the watchmaker's fees, and shipping and handling...rather just get a new Fiddy. When I'm a little more advanced, and can take apart my watches, that should be more of an option.

Right now, every time I put on a new strap on my watch, I feel like Abraham Louis Breguet himself. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Rotwild has a 208 that he got as a bargain from doc and that glass is minearal and much less clear then my glass on 217 ... from the picture u posted the glass looks the same as he has so i woud be 99 percent to clame its noth sapphire ... pay in mind thats just my 2 cents ...

Sad to hear that ...

Hope u can source a replacement one for good price ...

Ps i think rotwild was searchin for the saphire replacement on the boards last week as he prefers the glass that i have ... someone droped him a pm on the davidsen one for sale .

U can contact him to point u in the right direction ...

regards laz

Ahh, but factor in the watchmaker's fees, and shipping and handling...rather just get a new Fiddy.

Is Andrew offering to install it for you? I figured that was just for the crystal and shipping.

Do put the word out there, there are a few of these crystals floating around.

Or, as you say, you could flip what you have to someone more savvy and just buy a replacement. Or the seller could step up and mitigate the problem perhaps if it was mineral or packed by an eeijit.

At the end of the day, the straps are the expensive bit anyway :lol:

What can I say..............sorry you are having a bad run but welcome to the rep world.........just another thing I'll bet my house that the crystal cracked in transit and the seller has no idea it has happened.

Just a quick OT.......I live in Victoria Australia and our favourite beer is.......you guessed it Victorian Bitter, more commonly know as VB..................spooky huh :D

Ken ;)

Happened on my 212 as well. Those domed crystals are under tremendous pressure when mounted up. If you like the one you got than buy a Davidsen glass. Then you know what you are getting and as far as I know it hasn't exploded on anyone yet.

VB ... i second Kruzer on this i had my EL glass explode and had a davidsen sapphire put on it ... it is heavy on the AR if you don't mind that but you will be getting the real deal with his crystal . did you get the PM the other day??

Lanikai

What can I say..............sorry you are having a bad run but welcome to the rep world.........just another thing I'll bet my house that the crystal cracked in transit and the seller has no idea it has happened.

Just a quick OT.......I live in Victoria Australia and our favourite beer is.......you guessed it Victorian Bitter, more commonly know as VB..................spooky huh :D

Ken ;)

Who doesn't know the VB series, KEN!?!? ;)

Well, if you like cricket, which most North Americans do not...shame, shame. It's a beautiful game. Mind you, so is baseball, so we all win, yay!

P.S.: Trying to keep it light guys, today. Not posting much since I'm licking my wounds. PayPal funds pending with the member, so all is well along those lines, but the disappointment lingers this rainy Sunday. Anyway, will be back bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on other threads tomorrow.

And don't worry, Lanikai. I would never walk out looking like Bozo the Clownette. Pics to follow, crappy sapphire and all. ;)

P.P.S.: I really dislike "VB" as a rule. Victoria is so lovely, feminine, yet commanding, and Vic or Vicky is lovingly warm. Mind you, VB the beer is excellent, though I'm a Tres Equis girl myself.

Vic, so sorry to hear of yet another failed attempt at getting what you want. I would guess that the crystal cracked in transit, as per Ken's suggestion. Temperature changes apparently plays a part in these things as well. Had a friend with 2 cracked crystals on his 50. Look at this as an opportunity to do your first mods--looks like you need a cannon pin anyway, so I would send it off to one of the "Big Four" for this mod and installation of a nice new crystal. While it's at the spa, get it lumed. Your watch will come back better than when new and you'll finally feel good about your watch. :)

If you decide you want to sell your Fiddy, and start from the beginning, I'd probably go for the Davidsen.

V i would also use this as a start point to get a nice fiddy built, get a DSN crystal and hands, send it off to flav or ziggy or who ever you chose, get a tall cannon fitted and you will be grinnin from side to side when you get it back a month or so later. I know it can be expencive mine runns me at about $450 to 500 but to me it is a great watch aand to me worth that much, about the same as the gen is worth $500in all honesty.

Some times a nice custom bike. car starts with crashing it!

V i would also use this as a start point to get a nice fiddy built

As I said guys, this Fiddy is going back to its owner, having had the PayPal moneys refunded to me (albeit still pending). So I'm going back to Stage 1.

I would PROBABLY buy a DSN Fiddy, despite the enormous cost which I can't afford now..., but he doesn't take PayPal. And for me, no PayPal, no deal. With anyone. Full stop. I just don't feel safe with WU, having had problems on eBay too many times with it.

Here is the wrist-check before I send this Fiddy back!

290347-5845.jpg

SWEET WATCH.

And what is it with me and Panerai, that I can pull off first a 44mm ginormous watch, and then the chicken-house 47mm???

Or am I foolin' myself? Be honest, please.

P.S.: My mother looked at it and said, wow, that looks great on you, which I had to agree. Maybe it's my long fingers, and generally dainty look which doesn't make me look like a lorry driver wearing a walkie-talkie on her wrist? :)