When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pisssed off with the price of new reps!

ajoesmith

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, someone explain me why chinese dealers as Josh,Andrew or king are selling non crhono ETA reps for + $300/350 when you can buy the exactly same watches at the chinese street markets for $100/120.

Don't even dare to ask the same for chinese movements, as no one would be able to explain it when you can buy them at Guangzhou for $15.

I wonder where the good Chinese street markets and shops to get these, I was thinking of visiting China next year....maybe I'll just go completely off and get like 10 watches.

With this much money being made hopefully some other places pop up that can provide good service with less markup.

I wonder where the good Chinese street markets and shops to get these, I was thinking of visiting China next year....maybe I'll just go completely off and get like 10 watches.

You live in USA, right? so how you will bring them at home? Customs will see all of them that are rep, they will confiscate all of your watches :busted_cop: remember Midnight Express movie ! ;) anyway, good luck !!!

If u are travelling overseas. and if u can find the place to buy them.. then u can buy the watches and ems to

urself instead of bring them back in person.

If it is true,.. u can buy a $ 300 watch for $ 100,... then u can buy 3 times as much ,....splitt it in three lots.

even if one parcel gets lost. U still receive the oher two which means u still come out in front ..

Good point about the fun factor being diminished.

One down side of the higher prices is that it's agonizing trying to choose a watch. Then once I get the rep, if it's got issues its a hell of a lot harder to just live with it, knowing that it wasn't actually all that cheap to buy. Finally I care more if I damage my more expensive reps.

I have always said that I go for quality not quantity. But sometimes I wonder if I should change philosophy on this, at least for a few of my purchases.

I have always said that I go for quality not quantity. But sometimes I wonder if I should change philosophy on this, at least for a few of my purchases.

Hmm, interesting thought. I could afford about 3 chinese movement Panerai's for the price of one swiss movement one . . . But then again if the chinese ones only last 1/3 of the time I have to deal with the hassles of re-ordering 3 times . . .

I agree that some prices have become a bit unbearable. Fortunately I have already collected most of the watches I always wanted to own. Nothing can stop me from enjoying the ones I already have.

And besides, there are lots of nice reps in the cheaper price ranges. Watches with standard Asian 21J movements, etc. Those watches can be just as enjoyable as ETAs. The price difference between 21J and ETA is often outrageous.

I don't understand the Hublot prices, either. $1K is totally insane. I'm amazed that some people even consider those... but apparently there IS a market for them.

Jip I agree the wacthes are to expensive!! The dealers are saying that the prices are higher beacuse of some economic problems blablabla. But when the problems are gone are they gonna lower the price of the watches?I don't thinks so... I've an idea. I was thinking about to become a dealer myself. But I don't know the exact connection to buy the watches. If somebody has some ideas to become a dealer please PM me.

I have the feeling I am going to be in the minority, but I for one would rather see my dealers enjoy good profits.

Would a struggling dealer be able to bring us quality merchandise? Our dealers deserve to prosper I declare.

The prices for a Mercedes even in GZ are very high.

I agree with you in the concept. I like the idea of our dealers getting rich... doing "HONEST" business. The problem here is when some of them (the holy trinity cartel mostly) claim qualities or features in their watches that are NOT true, defective or non working, and here is where i don't understand someone charging me a 400% for something that is not as advertised... or cracked.

HBB's $1000 would be a fair price if the watch would work properly for at least 5 years, had a serious guarantee, would have a serious quality control so you wouldn't find wicked letters or screws falling down or crowns jumping out like a rocket, and would be sealed at least so you could get a comfortable shower without finding steam under the glass. $1000 for HBB's they are selling can just be called SCAM.

I don't think Josh's Mercedes-Benz is falling in parts... so it seems he got a quality product in accordance to what he paid. That's the only we need with our reps.

Dear all,

First I would like to state is I agree with BT and Pug.

Stop focusing on Eta.

My Asians are still running too and most of the members say the same, they are great even if not Swiss.

Isn't the Best Sub the TTK Noobmariner with Asian for 100$ ?

Oh, yes, I did get a MBW too, you're right. But I had to put a Noobmariner dial in that MBW :blink:

On the other hand, how the hell can a serious mind look at buying reps (not even modded) for 1K ?

Those HBB are just a joke. I'm so happy I don't like them.

A genuine great Omega can be found for 1.000$!

The prices going up have had two consequences on my behaviour:

- I only buy what I know I will wear instead of buying every single one I "so so" like and might want to add to my collection.

- I buy second hand from members and start mods with genuine parts.

As a price example, my 16610 modded with all it's genuine parts (except mvt of course) costs only 200$ more than some Ultimate out there.

Now, an optimistic note: my last purchase costed me 174

We should stop jumping on these "new improved Cousteau" or whatever.

Or we should not complain if we buy a first release expensive watch because we couldn't wait. If the Aquatimer turns out to be junk, I will not regret having bought it first as it is my choice to be impatient and an early-adopter.

So, if you're going to jump on the first big new thing before it's been reviewed, you forfeit the right to complain too loudly. :D

A genuine great Omega can be found for 1.000$!

Stephane,

Recently I purchased a tired old Omega Geneve, in an estate auction for $15.

A polish, service, and new dial/O rings etc, at a total cost of $25, ( plus my labour to service and polish.... Lets be charitable, and say $250) ...voila, bloody nice Omega for under $300.... AND GENUINE.

Concurrently there are threads about " Top ten reps" and this one, which I read with more than passing interest.

Like a lot of (older) members, I have increasingly stopped buying reps, and searched for genuines.

And with the ever increasing prices, I could not be tempted to a rep again.

I think we have a huge number of different types of people here collecting.

Some are here enlarging their experience/ expertise, in modding and repair.

Some are singularly brand fascinated, especially about how close a rep can become to a gen.

Others truly enjoy constructing Frankenwatches.

We have photographers, collectors, repair experts, in fact a veritable Horological " Melting Pot"

And a more knowlegable group cannot be found.... anywhere.

Which is why I hang around, like a big sponge, soaking up the knowledge.

Still beats me though, when I see these guys paying $1k for ANYTHING that resembles a rep... geese, they must have IT bad.... even worse than me :rolleyes:

Offshore

I've noticed this price escalation as well and it's happened rather quickly. <_< Let's not forget the ever popular $30 shipping cost which used to be included in the price.

Well worth mentionning : the last 2 reps I bought on iOffer were sent by EMS (same as our dealers) for 19 USD... And guess what : it came exactly as quickly...

-_-

I will buy from those who have affordable nice reps, whoever and whereever they are.

This may include the "Cartel" dealers, or exclude them.

I was glad to deal with them always, for the reason that I felt much safer with them.

In the meantime I learnt that there are other reliable dealers who only ask to earn new customers.

Pug: agreed too.

I jumped on that Montblanc and never wear it. I can't blame PT for that ;)

OffShore: yes, this place is educating.

Without RWG I would have spent thousands on scam sites.

And yes, you are right again about gens. It is a natural move instead of continuing spending 1K in a bad rep.

I still prefer a 174

US$ is down... quality has improved... blah, blah, blah...

Please, someone explain me why chinese dealers as Josh,Andrew or king are selling non crhono ETA reps for + $300/350 when you can buy the exactly same watches at the chinese street markets for $100/120.

Don't even dare to ask the same for chinese movements, as no one would be able to explain it when you can buy them at Guangzhou for $15.

Edit: Although Hambone maybe could give us a good explaination, as it/he/she seems to be part of the cartel.

For the simple reason that they're rip-off merchants, and know that people are too blinkered to accept that, and know that they will keep buying from them.

As for Ham, he isn't part of the Cartel. Just their Number One Shill. Or was, until he recently realized he'd been lied to. At least he had the balls to stand up and apologize.

i havent bought anything but yeh.. i need others cooperation too.. i mean the cartels are ganging up on us.. why cant we reverse it? :S

Simple. People aren't prepared to go to less well known dealers, because the forums have brainwashed them into thinking that only the dealer names listed here, are the only honest dealers around. I say brainwashed, because the proof is there that A&J are liars and rip people off, and that Silix, while sending reasonable product for cheaper, is just a drop-shipper, and sends incorrect/faulty goods. I'm not sure how this mass hypnosis is being achieved, but you're absolutely right, this requires cooperation from everyone, but at the moment, I can't see any signs of current trends reversing.

With this much money being made hopefully some other places pop up that can provide good service with less markup.

As mentioned, customs would likely confiscate that many watches. Much safer to keep maybe 3 favorite watches on you (one on your wrist, two spares in your baggage) and mail the others home.

The prices these days for me are too expensive. I can afford them, that's not the problem for me. The problem for me is that it has turned from a hobby, that I could throw
Edited by TeeJay

One simple solution: "Stop buying the expensive reps" and we have to do that in a "United we stand" way.

For those who think 1k is a pocket change, please stop buying those "outragously-priced" rep so the price

can be affordable in the future so everyone can enjoy.

that is my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their own reason for buying a rep. At the end of the day as long as there are a variety of choices ( asian vs. swiss) and dealers we all win. We all make our own value judgements.

I personally think there are more choices now than ever, and, rep prices have gone both up and down. Who would have thought you could get a Noobmarier for $100 two/three years ago? It would have costs twice as much to buy the same model (Rolex Sub) watch that was only half as accurate as a Noob.

Starbucks or Maxwell House which do you prefer? Freedom of choice is a great thing!

I am getting very tired of reading posts about people pissing and moaning about high rep prices. Why are the prices high from the most prevalent dealers? Convenience. They take paypal or credit cards. There are fees involved with this. There are also chargebacks. They also replace watches seized in customs. They will sometimes replace a defective watch. Many people think they are the only options. Well they are wrong.

If you want to know the real deal on replica watches this is it. I still buy many of my watches the old school way. From a rep at a factory. He doesn't give me 20 pictures of every angle of the watch. He doesn't have a website. I pay him with western union only. I also pay $20.00 for shipping. The prices are much much lower. Gold evo is $178. TT evo is $188. Asian ETA Rolexes $50. 7750 daytonas $135. Swiss ETA Rolexes about $130. Few watches go over the $200 mark. I pay $40 to send WU online or $12 at a location. I usually order two or three watches at a time to average these costs down and bargain for a better deal.

I have a few of these contacts and they were made only with years of buying reps from different dealers and fishing out contacts. I also buy watches from some of the mainstream dealers. They advertise them first and I am sometimes willing to pay for convenience. Wal-Mart has cheaper prices than most retail stores but many people opt for Target because they have better customer service.

BTW, my first purchases of high end replicas were from TW dealers. I still have contact with a few and TW best Rolexes still go for $300 to $350. I remember when people were happy to shell out $400 for a swiss Submariner.

Quit whining about pricing. There are other alternatives but most people are too lazy to look or [censored] that a cheaper dealer isn't convenient enough.