When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pisssed off with the price of new reps!

ajoesmith

Im really Pisssed off with the price of new reps these days

Why do people continue to buy reps above the $300 mark?

The time has come to STOP!!!!!

STOP BUYING AND THE DEALERS WILL HAVE TO REDUCE THEIR PRICES!! SIMPLE!

This has to be a complete forum effort. We are all simply giving the dealers more excuses to increase the price even more.

Look at the New Breitling blackbird, ok a new movement, with secs at 3 and a big date, so what!! and its an ASIAN MOVEMENT!! NOT SWISS. $400 is too expensive.

Am i alone in thinking this??

I repeat

STOP BUYING AND THE DEALERS WILL HAVE TO REDUCE THEIR PRICES!! SIMPLE!

Are we all mad. if you were to carry out a survey a year ago and ask:

'would you spend $400 on a rep with asian 7750 movement'. Most of the answers would be NO.

On another point if you were to carry out a survey a year ago and ask:

'would you spend $600/$600/$1000 on a HBB rep with Asian 7750 movement'. EVERYONE WOULD SAY NO

Guys and Gals this HAS TO STOP.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we can still be 'paying' the same relatively speaking with the weak US dollar... Not that this helps, and it is why my last purchase was in the $100 range; I would love to get the new Bentley 6.75 but at that sort of money, not at the moment. I've got bills to pay...

We've been at this position for almost a year and we're screwed now. We had our chance and we blew it.

We, as a group, cannot stop paying whatever they ask and we've demonstrated this, unfortunately. I rallied against it and then bought a SFSO and 3717 and I've got my Aquatimer on pre-order.

Let's face it, we're humped. :D

We've been at this position for almost a year and we're screwed now. We had our chance and we blew it.

We, as a group, cannot stop paying whatever they ask and we've demonstrated this, unfortunately. I rallied against it and then bought a SFSO and 3717 and I've got my Aquatimer on pre-order.

Let's face it, we're humped. :D

What you are saying in effect is it is really you, Pugwash, single-handedly, causing the price rises. Now we know who to blame... :lol:

Now i'm gonna buy one replica, if i'm really very very interested, instead of two.

And with these new prices it will be more and more rare and most likely i'll lose interest in knockoffs ...

I'm not sure this pricing strategy will be very productive for our dealers but maybe i'm totally wrong, it's just my reaction.

I've noticed this price escalation as well and it's happened rather quickly. <_< Let's not forget the ever popular $30 shipping cost which used to be included in the price. I also sense reading posts that quality has not been the greatest either & customer service has taken a turn for the worse in some cases.

When I see Hamilton chronos with a genuine 7753 offered second hand for around $700, it makes it difficult to swallow the new prices. Add the cost a few mods and movement service (almost a requirement for the Asia 7750) and one is immediately in the ball park of quality used gens.

I agree with you, Joe. We shouldn't just keep buying over priced watches. It certainly takes the fun out collecting.

We have also lost some very reputable sources in the past year or so & this certainly has not helped the issue.

Like who?

Eddie Lee was terrific terrific in his day and carried the TW line. Order a watch, and you would receive it in 4 days. :)

River is certainly not as active as he once was and an excellent source for the TWs.

Homer. Was at one point very active on our forums.

King is now via email only. She used to flood this place with attractive offerings and specials.

I'm sure I'll think of others.

Tourby has a valid point. When the economic conditions change there is a level of financial discomfort to be felt and we are seeing the effects of it. Consider that we all demand more from our repicas with adds to the manufacturing cost as each new version is produced in a never ending attempt at perfection.

Also, we should understand that manufacturing cost are rising for the ETA suppliers. A new ETA 2824/2836 will set you back for over $100 and a 7750 is $450 from Offei or Borel and is destined to rise higher as the supply diminishes. We are not privy to all the inside costs, overhead, and profit required to produce and distribute the replica products particularly when combined with current economic trends so, I find it hard to call foul. Ajoesmith has one thing right, if you don't like the price...don't buy. Now that I think about it, this might have something to do with the reason that I am reluctant to replace my car this year :p

Edited by jdavis

That is why I have converted the majority of my business over to modding panerai watches. I pulled all my HBB listing down not due to SWF but due to the fact that the big bang ss should be $310 tops, period. Also, all the known problems with 7750 movements and they think they are going to sell these watches for $800 plus. Okay a sucka is born everyday, but I am not going to sell one.

Hmmmm......sounds familiar ....from an old post of mine.....waaay back last year on FR....for which I got howled down.....
Edited by TWP

Also, we should understand that manufacturing cost are rising for the ETA suppliers. A new ETA 2824/2836 will set you back for over $100 and a 7750 is $450 from Offei or Borel and is destined to rise higher as the supply diminishes.

This is true for new movements which are properly lubricated, clean & ready to go. My reading of The Zigmeister's posts and our conversations indicates that the ETA movements in reps (with the exception being the 7753 & 2893-2) are generally poorly oiled and not exactly assembled in a clean room. Some have been surplus worn movements that were not worth fixing and had to be replaced.

It's often luck of the draw with the ETA movements in these watches & most require a service which adds to the cost.

TTK, I clearly remember your post. I agreed with you then decided to pick up a few as a result. :D

US$ is down... quality has improved... blah, blah, blah...

Please, someone explain me why chinese dealers as Josh,Andrew or king are selling non crhono ETA reps for + $300/350 when you can buy the exactly same watches at the chinese street markets for $100/120.

Don't even dare to ask the same for chinese movements, as no one would be able to explain it when you can buy them at Guangzhou for $15.

Edit: Although Hambone maybe could give us a good explaination, as it/he/she seems to be part of the cartel.

Edited by luisik

Awesome math. Dollar drops 12% in a year, so I raise prices almost 27%

I think the price policy of Chinese dealers should be based on the fact that they live in CHINA

No what you're seeing is the effect that greed has on price

US$ versus Chinese yuan has only dropped 4%, that's FOUR PERCENT for all the stupid people:

dollar.jpg

...and how does that justify $400 for an eta watch? and what watch are you talking about that has a 7750 in it? The $1000 HBB has a fake 7750 in it. Those cost $50, not $450

good point friend...

i can