When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Big Bang Ayrton Senna Watch

warbody

"Remember when the Hublot Big Bang watch seemed really, really big. These days the watch is about the same size as everyone else's but that doesn't make it any less interesting.

The latest special edition of the Hublot Big Bang watch derives its punch from a sleek cloak of black enlivened only by a slash of a red signature and a colorful split second hand.

The Hublot Big Bang Aryton Senna All Black Rattrapante sports the Ayrton Senna Institute, a non-profit institute founded by Viviane Senna, the sister of the deceased Brazilian racing driver, the Ayrton Senna.

The watch is a Chronograph Split-Second with Power Reserve indicator in black with Ayrton Senna's signature in red and the Brazilian flag in green and yellow on the Split-Second hand which can be used to record an intermediate time by means of the two chronograph seconds hands. The push-piece on the watch is red. The watch is the first Hublot to go on sale in Brazil.

The 44.5 mm case is done in polished black ceramic resin details. The movement is the Hublot HUB44 RT mechanical chronograph Fly-back with automatic winding. It has a black rubber strap with the Ayrton Senna signature in yellow on a green stripe on the inside. There are 500 numbered pieces and it sells for $25,000."

BigBangSenna1.jpg

BigBangSenna2.jpg

BigBangSenna3.jpg

Cool looking watch overall, just a little too dark in the tint on the sapphire. One of the benefits of a wristwatch is being able to see what time it is. :huh:

Is it really 7750 based? And $25,000? Must be quite heavily modified. It's actually cool looking I suppose...just think it's funny to imagine an F1 driver trying to use an all black watch while driving. But hey, it's got the split seconds and he has a whole lap to peak down and try to figure out what it says. :)

I'm not a fan of the HBB, but even I can see this is a shameless take on the Black Magic with a crappy Brazilian coloured second hand, the (admittedly better) strap from the Luna Rossa and a dead (albeit great) man's signature on the featureless dial.

Considering Senna was a Heuer/TAG Heuer enthusiast and ambassador, I'm not sure how well this sits. It's just an abuse of the name IMO, sister's charity or not, so I must agree with the marketing bullsh*t/one-hit wonder comments.

Hublot have been approaching EVERY charity....august body...fashion house they can....with the sole objective of aligning themselves with said bodies....Carlo Crocco must be wringing his hands in glee....JCB has with unabashed shame....did everything to put Hublot on the map....and succeeded also....he's done his job......but a 30 year old insignificant lacklustre and vainglorious history will not a great marque create...,,,not based around ONE plagiarised design...( badly done ).....and the use of a mundane but sturdy easily obtainable out house movement.....!

Hublot is a fashion brand and will go out of favour sooner rather than later....JCB recognises that fact ....hence the reason he has recruited Gerald Genta to the design team at MDM Hublot......the foremost designer of most of the world's great watches....!

No Big Bang for me.....I like good design.....Hublot is just like a pair of Victoria Beckham jeans...still denim but with a little glittery pizzazz on the rear pocket.....for the fashionistas....andwe all know that style is constant and fashion changes....!

Doesn't do anything for me, and clearly not worth $25k! The HBB Ceramic I like, but this is just too monochromatic for my tastes. I agree that it seems like Hublot are milking this design. It will be interesting to see if they can come up with a decent follow up or whether they will indeed be one hit wonders.

Hublot have been approaching EVERY charity....august body...fashion house they can....with the sole objective of aligning themselves with said bodies....Carlo Crocco must be wringing his hands in glee....JCB has with unabashed shame....did everything to put Hublot on the map....and succeeded also....he's done his job......but a 30 year old insignificant lacklustre and vainglorious history will not a great marque create...,,,not based around ONE plagiarised design...( badly done ).....and the use of a mundane but sturdy easily obtainable out house movement.....!

Hublot is a fashion brand and will go out of favour sooner rather than later....JCB recognises that fact ....hence the reason he has recruited Gerald Genta to the design team at MDM Hublot......the foremost designer of most of the world's great watches....!

No Big Bang for me.....I like good design.....Hublot is just like a pair of Victoria Beckham jeans...still denim but with a little glittery pizzazz on the rear pocket.....for the fashionistas....andwe all know that style is constant and fashion changes....!

Quoting Coco Chanel today, are we? ;)

I agree with everything you said, Neil. I am a fan of Senna, and I understand that the inflated price of the watch is due in part to the charity aspect. However, the overall design just doesn't do it for me. It just isn't something that will prove to be a remotely enduring design. I purchased an SS/RG HBB from a member, and quickly traded it back for a modded MBW 1665 SRSD. Although the HBB is impressive as a rep (though the rather laughable decoration of the back, particularly the movement, the lackluster finish of the clasp and strap, the sometimes misaligned numbers with a habit of falling out, as well as the screws that have a habit of falling out leave something to be desired), I just never warmed up to it. It was eye catching in the same way that a very trendy, fashion forward accessory or article of clothing gets attention. However, it doesn't have presence, something that only truly timeless designs can lay claim to. This newest release just solidifies my convictions.

I'm not a fan of the HBB, but even I can see this is a shameless take on the Black Magic with a crappy Brazilian coloured second hand, the (admittedly better) strap from the Luna Rossa and a dead (albeit great) man's signature on the featureless dial.

Considering Senna was a Heuer/TAG Heuer enthusiast and ambassador, I'm not sure how well this sits. It's just an abuse of the name IMO, sister's charity or not, so I must agree with the marketing bullsh*t/one-hit wonder comments.

Wow, I actually agree with everything you said. Not a first, but unusual enough to mention. ;)

But you know...the charity angle, even if I read a quote about Hublot having been cynical regarding its implementation, is not bad.

It reminds me when people complain about millionaires donating money just to name a hospital ward after themselves. So what? Let them. As long as the sick get the money, who cares.

I hope Viviane's advisors researched this well. IMHO, it was a savvy move because though HBBs are completely fashion watches, they are VERY MUCH IN FASHION now.

Thus, they may well just sell a lot, providing revenues for the charity.

Should I ever buy a rep of this watch, if it is ever made, sure why not, I'll give a little anonymously to the charity.

I'm glad a lot of rich Brazilians will be putting their hand in their pocket to help out disadvantaged children - there is an unpleasantly ethnic gaping divide between rich and poor in that country. Although call me cynical but I would be interested to know what slice of the $12.5m will go to the Foundation :brow:

The official blurb...

The Ayrton Senna Institute

A non-profit-making organisation founded and run by Viviane Senna, the sister of the racing driver, the Ayrton Senna Institute has been active for thirteen years in Brazil. It was created in tribute to the values and ideals of Senna, who dreamt of bringing dignity and equality to his native country, of which he was very proud. The main aim of the Institute is to offer young Brazilians the chance to build on their skills. It has therefore developed, tested and evaluated education systems specially adapted to children not only to improve their schooling, but also their social development. Eight million children and youngsters in 25 provinces of Brazil have already benefited from these programmes.

Association with Hublot

Hublot has always been an ardent supporter of the cause of disadvantaged children through its own Hand-in-Hand Foundation. Hublot thus occasionally takes part in Charity events organised by other Foundations to come to their aid, or to fight the injustice meted out to them. The Geneva brand's commitment to supporting Viviane Senna bears witness to their common values. Ayrton Senna bequeathed a message of hope to those youngsters, through his sense of humanity, motivation, determination and demand for perfection. According to Jean-Claude Biver, CEO of Hublot: "The supreme luxury is to be able to share. To share our emotions, our joy, our love... We are proud today to be able to share our success with the Institute and thus contribute to the aid given to all these children".

I'm glad a lot of rich Brazilians will be putting their hand in their pocket to help out disadvantaged children. Although call me cynical but I would be interested to know what slice of the $12.5m will go to the Foundation :brow:

Nonono. The majority of rich Brazilians wear cheapo plastic wristwatches bought from camel

Huge Senna fan here...and this just doesn't feel right. Hublot isn't even involved in motorsports are they? I enjoy the Tag Senna editions bearing his signature since he was a Tag ambassador, but it just doesn't feel right to see his signature on a brand he didn't endorse himself. I think a Senna foundation watch would be fine, but not one bearing his signature.