When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Can Anyone Like This Watch?

Victoria

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Saab of the watch world. People with money to buy the usual suspects buy one of these instead just because they want to be different.

I find Graham watch pretty offensive and I haven't found anyone who thinks to the contrary.

The Saab of the watch world. People with money to buy the usual suspects buy one of these instead just because they want to be different.

:mellow:

My keyring:

303943-303.jpg

I find Graham watch pretty offensive and I haven't found anyone who thinks to the contrary.

Why, Tom, just the other day we had someone post in a tizzy, asking what kind of watch was shown in a pic. It was of course, a Graham.

Ugh, hate those crown guards. They took the Panerai ones, and made them look like extra-terrestrial pirate hooks.

g7.jpg

2OVAS.B02A.K10B.jpg

That looks like a bloody hole punch, Narikaa. :lol:

Even the Swordfish maligned in the OP merits a second glance in the real world

Ugly enough, here in South Beach I have rarely seen a Panerai, but frequently (well, okay 5 times or so) have seen Grahams.

There are some watches that are worn by men for the sake of fashion. I grant you, Panerai can be considered one.

But Grahams ARE DEFINITELY the worst part of that trend.

Strange, but I appreciate an enormous Breitling, can tolerate a Bell & Ross, a Chopard Mille Miglia is passable (did you check out Silix' price? Wow), but the Graham Chrono...no can do, I'm afraid.

Looks like Mae West starring in a remake of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. :o

grahamchronozt3.jpg

The Graham Chrono Destro

I realise it started as a British marque, but it looks like a horological miscarriage.

The horological Marty Feldman.... (not that he was a miscarriage :blink: ...)

Grahams

Strangely in the flesh they are awesome

This one in particular:

2OVAS.B02A.K10B.jpg

Even the Swordfish maligned in the OP merits a second glance in the real world

Still, looks like a crossover between an old fashion fuel lighter an a hand granade.... :bounce:

The horological Marty Feldman.... (not that he was a miscarriage :blink: ...)

It's Frahnkensteen.

:rofl: :rofl:

Still, looks like a crossover between an old fashion fuel lighter an a hand granade.... :bounce:

Oh God, that was an awesome reference. I'll be laughing thinking about both quips all day.

I see the bad taste bears are still awake.....must be 'cos it's the weekend....!

There isn't a Panny made that can hold a candle to a Chronofighter....when you pick one up...there's a sense of purpose to the watch.....the oversized lever on the obverse side....so that a WWII pilot wearing gloves at 30,000 ft in an unpressurised unheated cockpit could push the chronograoh start and stop buttons is sheer genius.....it has a heft that not even La Bomba can compete with.....looks as tho' it was hewn from a solid steel block.....and the modern versions just ooze quality in a way that Panerai just can't....Panny have a false history....resting upon a single moment of glory for the Italian navy...which otherwise has had an ignominious history....a 'myth' has been built around these watches,,,,,undeservedly so IMO.....but hey...Hollywood gave us a revisionist history of the Enigma Project...U-571....and Sly gave us all Daylight.....:lol:

Here are some Chronofighters.....more beautiful than the Swordfish undoubtedly...but the Swordfish is no more ugly than some of Panerais offerings..difference being that MOST Panny's NEED an old patinated vintage looking docker's belt to lend an air of provenance about them....Chronofighters need no such melodrama....!

Still... some people do stick a Twinkie up their a s s to taste it.....!

2crbsb02aa22f-0002.jpg

2crbsb02aa22f-0001.jpg

2crbss01al80b-0001.jpg

2ovasb01ak10b-0001.jpg

Edited by TTK

My wife would laugh her as* off at me if I ever wore an abortion like that.

Abortion of a watch is the exact phrase I used originally! Then, speaking of polarising, I decided to go with miscarriage as less controversial. ;)

For that matter I'd probably commit myself for even buying it. I've never seen a collection of watches that tests the essence of bad taste as much as they do. My 2cts.

I'm afraid I agree.

Whilst the watches posted by our collector friends (PHOTOSHOPPED!!) have a modicum of better styling than the Captain Nemo watch I posted -- sorry V, can't see the attraction -- they are still...how can I say? Just OTT. Over the top.

I love Grahams and always have. If you are talking of abortions, you might want to look at one of the most popular watches on the boards these days, the Hublot Big Bang.

This comment is sure to chap the hides of newbies who paid $1000 for they Asian 7750 BB rep, not to mention owners of the gen... :lol:

This comment is sure to chap the hides of newbies who paid $1000 for they Asian 7750 BB rep, not to mention owners of the gen... :lol:

Really don't care. To each his own :D . I just think Grahams are built with a sense of purpose, everything is where it is because it logically belongs there. Hublots are built to look industrial. There is no reason for anything they have done with that watch, its simply a fashion statement, with a 7750 based movement. There is simply no comparison between it and a fine watch like a Graham.

Well I think they look great, even the first one that V posted.. They look big heavy and odd. And that makes them better more attractive and tastefull.

The world needs more oddball watches, soo many different personalities and yet everyone is soo brand-specific How many watches don't look like subs? or any Rolex's for that matter. It's why i applaud the Super Avenger the fiddy, the new Admiral's Cup the large B&R's (i don't agree on the Jacob 60mm ghetto fabulous watches)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Interestingly enough, it is the next watch on my list of purchases... Oh well, no one ever said I had good taste, but I think the Chronofighter is an incredible piece or machinery!

Interestingly enough, it is the next watch on my list of purchases... Oh well, no one ever said I had good taste, but I think the Chronofighter is an incredible piece or machinery!

Dont concern yourself as you are far from alone

Ordinarily when the Swordfish is mentioned on the forums it is along the lines of 'when oh when will it be repped'

Miss V - typically agree with you but have to differ on this one. I have always liked the Graham and have looked forward to the coming rep. It has been on my list since I learned of its pending arrival months ago. Something about them, classic, mechanical - I don't know. Just like them.

On the other hand, I have officially given up on Paneri. With all of the love, I kept looking at them. I would look at every one that came across the Member Trades. And finally, I said no... I just don't get them. Maybe that is why we don't all drive Volkswagons (the are the people car ya know).

Peace,

-B

Miss V - typically agree with you but have to differ on this one. I have always liked the Graham and have looked forward to the coming rep. It has been on my list since I learned of its pending arrival months ago. Something about them, classic, mechanical - I don't know. Just like them.

On the other hand, I have officially given up on Paneri. With all of the love, I kept looking at them. I would look at every one that came across the Member Trades. And finally, I said no... I just don't get them. Maybe that is why we don't all drive Volkswagons (the are the people car ya know).

Brep! Dude, you like what you like, and that's awesome.

There is a saying amongst WIS', as you know -- "it speaks to me". That's something indescribable, and really not about taste. It's about attraction. And attraction is always partly sexual.

If the Graham watches move with your insides, go for it!