When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Can Anyone Like This Watch?

Victoria

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Graham watches are not the sort of thing you wear down the local ASDA. In fact, if I had one I'd not wear it often, however there would be times that it'd be precisely the watch to wear.

Much like the Panerai 187, sometimes you need something brutal to put on your wrist. The Graham fits the bill.

ps. All those who hate it will suddenly flip to loving it one day. It's odd. Me? I like some of them rather a lot, but think the ones with L and R on them remind me of kids' wellies or mittens with LEFT and RIGHT written on them.

Much like the Panerai 187, sometimes you need something brutal to put on your wrist. The Graham fits the bill.

Good answer. That begins to change my mind about the mindset of those who fancy the Grahams. I still find the watch I posted absolutely vile, though.

I collect vintage radios, and it reminds me of one known in the antiques trade as the Mae West.

maewestho9.jpg

ps. All those who hate it will suddenly flip to loving it one day. It's odd. Me? I like some of them rather a lot, but think the ones with L and R on them remind me of kids' wellies or mittens with LEFT and RIGHT written on them.

Using the logic explained in this thread, about why one should like it, there is only one reply:

Function, my dear Pugwash, function. Like a petrol gauge that tells you whether it's F or E.

Not that what you wrote wasn't :lol: .

I'm guessing that most who are posting negatively have not seen and handled these watches in person. It's very hard to completely appreciate or discount a watch based just on pictures. These watches are awesome, genuine "tool" watches, they are more than just a fashion statement watch but as was stated before a watch with real history and truly functional design. Although I love Pannies they are plain and and dare I say it, boring, (gasp! blasphemy) compared to the bold, striking design of Graham watches.

Looks like Mae West starring in a remake of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. :o

grahamchronozt3.jpg

The Graham Chrono Destro

I realise it started as a British marque, but it looks like a horological miscarriage.

Hmmmm

My initial reaction from looking at it. Immediate first impression, was actually:

"Hmm, that's not too bad... Looks interesting..."

But.

Then I looked again, and saw how overcrowded and cluttered the dial is, and indeed, certainly not a watch I'd find easy enough to read to want to buy, although, it would certainly be an interesting collection piece just so I could say I had one (even if it never got worn)

Those are not "Tool Watches" they are "Extra stuff to get caught on things and rip your hand off while you're distracted trying to figure out the time" watches...

Hmmm... considering my statement, perhaps the Chronofighter is aptly named... I just don't like fighting with my watches...

ROLEX invented the tool watch. IWC, in some cases, nearly perfected the tool watch. O&W made great tool watches. Blancpain understood tool watches. TIFFANY Divers were nice tool watches, Sheffield made some quite adequate, inexpensive tool watches, Seiko eventually figured out the tool watch...

Fit and finish may be excellent, the style may be appealing to some, but they are in no stretch of the imagination, tool watches.

However, they MAY be "Watches For TOOLS"...

I own a couple of Grahams and they are more for self defense than to use as timepieces. You get attacked just take off the watch and beat off the intruder with the crown guard. I bought them for the collection but would never wear them.

But on the other hand, I initially did not understand Panerai and now, 60+ Pams later, I am fanatical about these.