When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to wear to a new job

Pugwash

New job, first day, etc.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What watch should it be?

• IWC GST Chrono
    • IWC 3717
    • Omega Planet Ocean 45mm
    • Breitling Superocean Steelfish
    • Panerai 111h
    • Panerai 187
    • A cheap mechanical gen (Seiko, SUG, etc)
    • Another watch from my collection (please specify)

I say go with the Steelfish, it has alot going on on the dial so it may repel non watch fanatics to look too close, and a breitling makes a tasteful statement as well. It's not too flashy and might just blend into the mix if you want to be subtle and classy at the same time. If you want flashy whip out a diamond encrusted platinum masterpiece and reflect light glints off of it into your new co-workers eyes...j/k :p

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiny new Leopard Server v10.5 upgrade the first thing on the new departmental TODO list???

Nah, I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to server flavours. I'm running Leopard on my laptop, but I'm not fascist enough to impose my choice on paying clients; that way leads to less paying clients.

This is why Rolexes aren't even in the options.

Ah, but you did have an option "Other watches from my collection" for which we could specify. Technically, it might've been a consideration.

P.S.: OOH! One of the choices has inched ahead! Meanwhile the other one seems be have pulled up lame. This is better than the Derby.

Nah, I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to server flavours. I'm running Leopard on my laptop, but I'm not fascist enough to impose my choice on paying clients; that way leads to less paying clients.

Platform Agnostic? Not you... :o

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply you'd impose... just posing a hypothetical first day... hopefully you're not going to be mucking about in one of those "500k sites on 2-3 year old, half-patched, CentOS/WHM" messes... my last 'employee' job in IT was with Free-I, anyone remember them? Man was that a bad move...

Consultant/Web host myself these days, and the lesser of the former the better.

Congrats on the job! I'd suggest the IWC 3717, subtle and classy. You don't want to wear an 'in your face, look at my watch' watch. Let people get to know you and your ability with the job, not get known as the bloke with 'bloody loads of watches'.

Mind you 98% (not a scientific poll) of people aren't bothered by watches and won't notice anything on your wrist anyway!

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply you'd impose... just posing a hypothetical first day... hopefully you're not going to be mucking about in one of those "500k sites on 2-3 year old, half-patched, CentOS/WHM" messes... my last 'employee' job in IT was with Free-I, anyone remember them? Man was that a bad move...

Consultant/Web host myself these days, and the lesser of the former the better.

My first day will most likely be auditing all the servers. Or at least, it's what I'd like to do first just so I know where I stand. :D

I'm ex-Agency.com, ex-OnlineMagic myself. A decade of managing webservers behind me and I'm back doing it again. I love it, me.

Why dont you play it safe for the first couple of days and not wear any watch. This way you can scout out what everyone else is wearing and choose a watch from your collection that fits in. You never know....maybe their wearing the kinda stuff you like.

I was ABOUT to reply that that's a great suggestion. It normally would be.

But it's better that Pugwash serves notice that he's a WIS, and they get used to his watches from Day 1.

Congrats on the job, Pugwash. I too vote for the 3717 for reasons given by others. I don't think many folks will even know what it is but it won't be a "look at me, look at me" watch and neither will it be a vanilla jobbie. OTOH, like the sage VB says (I think), you could go with the watch which feels the most "like you" (the UPO?).

I would wear the Omega Planet Ocean. It is not to expensive and look ok in that environment. The bigger question I would want to know is what do you drive. That to me would be more important. As an employer I like to look out over the lot and see nice cars new cars. If I was to hire a guy for any type of mid level mgmt type position I just wouldn't want him drive something too low profile. It upsets the clients I notice.

My senior It guy drives one of those new lotus Exige and has an older Boxster. I also like the fact he isnt married. That just means I have some one to hangout with sometimes after work.

By the way he wears a gen solid gold sub!!

GO BIG OR STAY HOME AND SUCK ON YOUR THUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bigger question I would want to know is what do you drive. That to me would be more important.

You've not worked in many European cities then. Practically no-one drives. :D

I don't even have a driver's license; I've never needed one. The closest I get to driving a car is ... um, I ride a Ducati 748 and there's no way I'd ride it to work.

You've not worked in many European cities then. Practically no-one drives. :D

New York too. People are born live and die without ever getting a driving license. Let's at least hope you know how to drive.

I would have to say that Britain is an automobile-friendly nation, that is, its imagination is captured by the car. As are many European countries, whether or not their populace is able to afford a car. But this is neither here nor there to your predicament.

Hmm.

Now let's see...what watch would look best with you riding to work on the first day on a bicycle. Still think it's the UPO. It's a little more butch given the lack of wheels.

Now let's see...what watch would look best with you riding to work on the first day on a bicycle. Still think it's the UPO. It's a little more butch given the lack of wheels.

Pugwash...tight lycra shorts....cute little bell on the front of his bicycle...20km ride through the pissing rain every morning.

I'm guessing he might go for the bus or a lift instead. :p