When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An open letter from Ziggy to the members of RWG.

RWG Technical

Today is the darkness day for our family. Today is the most painful day for all of us. :mellow:

Although I'm a newbie join this family; but I had been taking good care from all of our senior members. I grow up fast & health. I become knowlege & could protect myself to being scam by the bad guy. Still remember when I start join here & deeply attract by mighty The Zigmeister movement review; I read them over & over again + I printed them out for my keeping.......

Now, we just lost one of the most valuable asset in our family. We're sad & lost our way; but we'll respect the decision u made The Zigmeister.....Please just take a long vocation & then came back with us, OK? For all of us.

U always be the greatest watchsmith in our heart; noone could replace u.

Best Regards,

Raymond

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear The Zigmeister,

This is a sad day for all of us. You're the best asset we have on this forum. Your critical input, movement breakdowns and advice makes this forum stay ahead of all the other watch forums (at least imho).

I do however understand your reasons to withdraw, but I truly hope that this turns out to be temporary.....

Thank you for all the support you have given us and happy holidays!

P.

For me this is not goodbye as I am fortunate enough to know I can call on Rob any time, but RWG is a far poorer place today because of this announcement.

I hope that some people are seriously re-evaluating their position in this community right now.

Let me tell you what this man, this valuable resourse did for me over the past 2 weeks. I bought a Breitling Navitimer that had the dreaded backwards B on the chrono second hand. I emailed the dealer who sent me a replacement and shipped both off to Ziggy for the swap. Zig informed me the tube on the replacement second hand was too short as it was a replacement ahand for the shallow, standard 12,6,9 layout and not the geared up tri-compax setup on this watch. I informed the dealer of this (who has dropped out of sight) but he was out of options. Ziggy further took the watch apart to see if a replacement gear/post assembly might work with the hand. No avail. He then removed the tube from the defective second hand and attached it to the second hand with the correct B and voila, the watch is perfect and beautiful. The price....well I won't divulge it here but with the time invested, you would think >$100...nope...>$50...nope...I'll say no more. The fact that this man brings his incredible skill to the replica watch world is remarkable. I'ts like we have Rembrandt doing our family portraits.

I admire and respect men with principles. It seems The Zigmeister is part of these, and that's why I fully understand and agree with his thoughts. That's also why I think (hope) he might be back one day : because a minority can't beat the vast majority of those who (although it's a strange hobby we have there) love this place and appreciate what you have done for the community.

We don't know each other personnally The Zigmeister, but I wished to thank you however :)

Truly The Zigmeister, your loss will be the greatest loss of all to this forum. I can personally attest to your craftsmanship with the work you did on my two watches and look forward to your return here when it suits you. Good luck sir.

Rob as I said to you privately, there is a time for us long-time members where you need to take a step back and see the things into a different perspective.

The Christmas spirit seems like Grinch spirit this year at RWG and I believe that this period of time is the best for you to take a break.

Enjoy your holidays and when you will feel re-freshed I am sure you will be back ;)

Hi The Zigmeister, I am a new member here and I came over to this forum from another forum for a similar reason. I felt that my contributions were no longer appreciated, dispite the fact that I had really helped to build the forum and was one of the first "core" members. What I found was that the more members join a forum, the less likley that forum is to be helpful and meaningful. You just get too many "trash" posts.

I have also just bought a "perfect" anniversary sub from Andrew and had planned to ask you to do some mod work on it. So if you wouldnt mind letting me know when you are available, that would be great. I was hoping for gen crown/stem, hands and dial. He claims that he sent out the movement for service already, but unscrewing the crown feels very "rough", so I may need some kind of modding on the tube as well. ALthough I have been here for less than a month, I have very much enjoyed your posts. I absolutly understand your position and feeling as I litterally left the other forum for the same reasons.

Happy Holidays and I hope I can still get to work with you as I respect you as a person, an RWG member and most importantly, as a watchsmith. THank you and good luck!

~Craig (Supermoves)

Why don't we take Rob's subtle suggestion to have an "authorised watchsmith/modder" section, with the description of the specific capabilities?

I think this would help members not to be scammed, since a bad modder or watchmith is not less "scamming" us than a vendor?

I do not know if somebody else out there has the feeling that if Rob is away from this forum all the members are more subject to these scammers :o

hi rob,

I tried emailing you yesterday, don't know if you got it or if your email address has changed. just wanted to ask a question or two on luming a sandwich dial. don't pay attention to the ignorant comments of those who know little or nothing about proper watchmaking. Hope you have a restful and joyous Christmas season.

Kind regards,

watchwatcher (Jim)

Sorry to read your post Ziggy, but i can understand it completely. Too many trolls trying to earn a buck while they have absolutely no skills at all. I will miss... and actually already missed your posts like you used to to. I guess 2007 wasn't a great year when it comes to sharing the joy of watches and trying to strive for perfection.

Personally i am also disappointed when it comes to reviews... for me this is also a huge part in enjoying the rep scene. Most reviews go skin deep and the only comment is "wow... nice" ... not enough good comparrisons IMHO.

A very sad day. Those are well-spoken heart-felt words and I understand your frustration. I do hope you return and it is sooner rather than later. I also hope that people take his words to heart. Modding is now an ever more integral part of our hobby and accordingly the forum needs to be just as vigilant with people offering services. Hopefully that is the one good thing that comes out of this.

Very well said Kruzer!

English Victorian era author Charles Dickens wrote this over 150 years ago but our modern day friend and sage, Ziggy, could have spoken these words himself:

"My meaning simply is, that whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do well; that whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself to completely; that in great aims and in small, I have always been thoroughly in earnest".

An open letter to RWG members.

EDIT: I am not retiring from watchsmithing, or modding. I will be available in January for new work.

I am stepping away from the forum, for how long, I don't know. I have decided it is time for a break. Replica watch forums are the first forums I joined, and to this day remain the only forums I frequent. When I joined RWG1 in Oct '04, I decided that my contribution would be in areas that I had some working knowledge

I am sure I will get flamed for saying this but...

The Zigmeister your work is among the best I have ever seen......no doubt about it.

I have spoke out about a certain subject of hand painted lume looking a little rougher than the machine stuff the gen factories use. For instance on the cousteau bezel. I preferred the rep machine lume to your amazing hand lume job(I have no idea how you even did it) just because human beings cannot get it as even as the machine and in daylight it looks different than gen. (that is my personal opinion, not a fact, most people prefer the lume)

In each post I was very careful to sing your praises but discuss the limitation of the human hand and if it was worth it.

You insulted me and belittled me in every post, taking everything very personally.

My point...you are too sensitive.

You do amazing work that speaks for itself. You need not ever be on the defensive for anything you have done. People will always question some things and you are not perfect. No one is......

Suck it up and continue to participate here because 50 times more people appreciate what you do then the few that might take issue with anything and most of those have been relatively polite about it. The ones that are rude should be banned anyway.

That is very, very sad news.... and I sincerely hope that once the dust has settled, this will only be a temporary absence from the forum because otherwise, RWG might have just lost one of it's most important assets.

It is one thing to discuss the look of watches, how to tell a good sub from a bad or which strap for this or that occasion, but what a watch forum truly needs, is someone with knowledge not only opinion.

Take a break, celebrate with the family, get the trolls out of your system and ...please come back soon!

RG-

I was your first customer and I plan to continue to be a customer until you hang up the tools.

More importantly I consider you a friend and an asset to this crazy community we have established here online.

I echo Kruzer and others in saying that I hope that your words are taken to heart here at RWG and that we begin to police and protect the membership from "those who shall not be named" that are doing a disservice to the community either through sheer ineptitude or worse.......deception.

We all came here to learn and share and nobody has done it better than you IMO :good:

Your invited too. i need a warm up bout! [censored]

Can I join in!

Wow! The Zigmeister, your posts were the first I read when I started! I learned about movements from you! I'm like a GradeSchooler who just

lost his favorite teacher!

Hope to see you here soon!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Wow! Just caught this. The Zigmeister, all the above comments suggest that you should think some more. You're sensitivity to the "less capable" shouldn't override your value to all the members who have relied on you for advice, caring and quality workmanship. I've never had occasion to use your services (lucky me, I have a talented local watchsmith), but your articles and comments have saved me and others many times.

Forget the negatives and accentuate the positive. You are the positive for most of us on this forum.

"Shane........Come back, Shane!"

Hey The Zigmeister,

I'm late as usual...but, I just wanted to chime in. Well, as you know, I've been here for a long time, but don't get to post much. I've known your name and reputation around here and I'm sad to see an Icon such as you leave our family. I wish you the best of luck...and with this admin team, I'm sure there could be a good solution for your return in the future. I've seen it done in the past.

Thank you for your unprecedented contribution to the board. And hope to see you online soon.