When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese New Year

Victoria

Guys, I've often read that our Chinese collectors are impossible to buy from during Chinese New Year.

As we approach our New Year, when do you suggest members start preparing for this slowdown, which comes later in 2008, on February 7? Does one just not expect anything to arrive in late February?

Can you share some "horror" stories about delays or dealings? Things like, are some collectors better than others, during this time.

Newer members could definitely benefit from the info. Thanks! :)

@Rodwc: Thanks! 2008 = Year of the Rat, BTW. Earth Rat, not Metal Rat...

Well for a start Victoria there should be no horror stories as members are advised in advance that nothing will ship for 1 week and in most cases it is really only about 4 days.

In fact for me at least this current Christmas break has been more of an annoyance than what the Chinese New Year will be.

Ken

I remember last year's delays weren't so bad. The undersea earthquake was much, much worse if I recall. Everything is pretty much dead for a week and then re-starts as normal. Really, unless you are doing business with China, for personal purchases like most of us do it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Unless some of us are so intense we buy 1 watch per week... hmmmm... not going to mention any names........

• 3 weeks later...
Unless some of us are so intense we buy 1 watch per week... hmmmm... not going to mention any names........

I'm bumping this thread, as the holiday approaches. I also just read a post by my beloved collector, Paul, where he states:

"Holiday start Feb 3 to Feb 15."

Not sure if that's China-wide, or just him, but that's more than a week. Given EMS' non-holiday problems, I fear placing orders during this time.

Do packages just not get posted, or do they sit in a warehouse until the reveries are over?

Me being a Singaporean (& a Chinese) myself, have gotten used to this time of the year... So I forcefully restrain myself from purchasing any form of reps during this period... :gathering:

Hi COOL! Maybe u culd help alant find a watchsmith in Singapore?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Raymond's timely post on CNY. Just to remind you: these dealers have posted on their sales during Chinese New Year already.

Kenberg: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry395390

He also said on the Shoutbox:

"For shipping purposes CNY runs from the 2nd to the 17th of Feb"

TWP: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=394551

PAM111: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=394079

(Just added)

PRECIOUS TIME: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=66977&hl=

PURE TIME: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=67059&hl=

Some trivia about CNY:

Good luck

* Sweets are eaten to ensure the consumer a "sweet" year.

* Wearing a new pair of slippers that is bought before the new year, because it means to step on the people who gossip about you.

Bad luck

* Buying a pair of shoes is considered bad luck amongst some Chinese. The word "shoes" is a homophone for the word for "rough" in Cantonese, or "evil" in Mandarin.

* Buying a pair of pants is considered bad luck. The word "pants"(k

Victoria love you new avatar babe! I have about 20 watches in stock that i need to post to get us through these depressing times. I am still waiting for

your 8 day so i can lume the gold hands for you unless you are ready for me to ship the other one with silver hands.

Victoria love you new avatar babe! I have about 20 watches in stock that i need to post to get us through these depressing times. I am still waiting for

your 8 day so i can lume the gold hands for you unless you are ready for me to ship the other one with silver hands.

Thanks TWP! I am totally ready for you to send on the 2 watches at your convenience.

I tried to PM you just now here, but Inbox full as ever (I've tried in the past!). You are a very popular guy. :p

P.S.: Also making inquiries about another watch, so come get some money from me. :)

i dont think theres going to be much of a problem. Like Ken said its only going to be a 4 or 5 day slowdown same as our xmas holiday season here in North America. Not a big deal at all.

dizz