When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there any better than a MBW 1665?

torresp

I`m glad to show you my latest proyect: a 1665 comex with the famous 1665 case from Vietnam. The watch shows has:

+ 1665 vietnam case with "standard" DRSD caseback plus a comex caseback

+ 1665 comex dial vietnamese too

+ 702 gen tube + crown

+ gen tritium insert fadded

+ rolex 1570 movement with fist batch of silver datewheel (more "white" and bold than moderns)

+ gen 93150+580 bracelet

For those who think about the worth of that cases (considering they are f**ing more expensive than MBW cases) my thoughts are:

+ Case is 100% accurate, but the bezel correspond to post-1974 period (is slightly tinner than previous)

comex1.jpg

comex2.jpg

bezel.jpg

+ Crown and tube matches perfectly with the case, just like the real deal

crown.jpg

comex_side.jpg

IMHO, that crown make a big difference...

702crown.jpg

+ the engravings inside the lugs are very well done, close to gens as well as the inner writing in the caseback:

Serial.jpg

Model-1.jpg

+ the dial is similar to MBW but with a important difference for me: one of the problems when you use 1570 movement on MBW dials is the size of the date window, in MBW dials the window is smaller (0,2mm or so) than gen, that makes that some days (ie 31 ir 10) seems very close to the borders and that thing never occurs int the gen. This vietman dials has the correct size as you could see:

dialcloseup.jpg

Finally some pics comparing my "ultra-mod" MBW case (modded by repaustria and me) with my new viet case (on top in each serie):

HevViet.jpg

HevMBW.jpg

HevViet2.jpg

HevMBW2.jpg

BackViet.jpg

BackMBW.jpg

InnerViet.jpg

InnerMBW.jpg

Hope you like it ;)

That watch is amazing...if I'm correct about it's origin, I lusted over it myself personally. It is hard for me to see the gen bezel, as it reminds me of the difference between the rep and gen crowns- the genuine has a crisper, deeper cut to the teeth. Maybe...just maybe, I'll go for a gen bezel, without the insert for one of my vintages to see how it works.

A really good re-dial can be damn near as good as the genuine. This is where I'm curious, is the vietnamese dial a complete replica, like the MBW? Or is it a re-dial? I've got what I believe to be a re-dial from classicwatchparts from ken or whoever does them there- and it's very well done. I can't tell if it's a rep, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. This dial looks very good. With something like the comex, it's got to be a rep dial all the way. I suspect mine could be a rep, as why would it make sense to do a re-dial on a genuine base?

$1450 for the 1665 case does seem exp... I have been quoted $900 for case and $350 for dial...

He may be wheeling & dealing to move some items, but here is the price quote from the website

Sea-Dweller case (without dial)

Model 1665, Fit Caliber 1570

Release valve Water proof

Original crown & tube Original crystal

$ 1450.00

He may be wheeling & dealing to move some items, but here is the price quote from the website

Sea-Dweller case (without dial)

Model 1665, Fit Caliber 1570

Release valve Water proof

Original crown & tube Original crystal

$ 1450.00

sorry if i did not made it clear, but i meant i was quoted those prices from someone else... hope i did not confuse anyone...

The prices are steep indeed... other website indeed have prices around $1,000 or $1,250 for a 1665 case (ND Trading for instance). But could someone please explain the difference with those other websites?

I just look at these pictures and the watch does look magnificent... but i can't just say within a minute what the differences are.