When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Mark XVI

k2222

yeah that's first problem, any other options?

Yep... i already covered that in my post... there's a Chinese copy of the 2892 which might fit the dimensions. I don't have such a movement here however so i can't measure it.

I'm pretty sure it must be in one of Ziggy's post or maybe someone else knows it...

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a pretty simple watch to build for them. It must be a 1:1 case and dial (bracelet would be nice too, but just the watch would make me happy!)

I love it!!! This is some great stuff, a lot of interest, a lot of quality information, a lot of noise!!! Let's keep it going, IF THEY BUILD IT, WE WILL BY IT!!!

And what are people looking at outside?

Not such a beauty, too classic, not noticable on the wrist as a "top" watch.

The Mark Series have always been hugely popular in Asia. The zen-like simplicity is the allure. The dial was, without a doubt, designed with using the Golden Section. These dials have some sort of weird magnetism or draw. They are perfectly balanced. It is actually odd and strangely compelling. Own one and you will see what I mean. The Mark XV is a perfect watch in every way. I know of no other watch that is perfect like this. The MK XVI, although different, is build upon the same base as the other MK Series. It is a nice 'young son', of MK XV so to speak. And I do believe it is a hot seller since the XVI is flying off the shelves at various ADs I've visited around the world.

Remember this: the Mark Series have a devoted and dedicated worldwide following. They have ever since the caliber 89-powered Mark XI M.O.D. Type 48 (made to 6B/346 spec) was made!

Bring on the Mark XVI!!!!!

These dials have some sort of weird magnetism or draw. They are perfectly balanced. It is actually odd and strangely compelling.

Monsieur Euno, I agree.

I was not clear maybe.

We, on the forums, do love that dial, that watch.

But rep makers aren't looking at us only: they are looking at masses and for sure this watch isn't what masses are looking for as first choice....

I too cast my vote for a Mark XVI rep, but it has to be a SUPERB copy. Even the slightest tell on a simple, classic design like this will be GLARING. This rep should be good enough to make up for the sins of the abysmal Mark XV rep.

In fact, the existing Mark XV rep bracelet should be a perfect match for the XVI. The XV rep case was 39mm (incorrect for the 38mm gen XV, but correct for the 39mm gen XVI). I believe the lug size was accordingly larger as well. The most they would have to do with the bracelet would be new end links, if anything.

They should DEFINITELY use the Seagull 2982 movement. Rep makers have to STOP using the overpriced ETA 2824. It was a fine movement when it could be had for under $50, but at its new $125+ street price, it is outrageously overpriced. If you have to use a 2824 in a rep, use the very fine Chinese copy, or go with a Sellita equivalent if you must have Swiss.

If a factory could make a flawless rep of this watch with decent AR and sell it for under $150 with an Asian 2982, there would be no stopping the sales. It would be an instant rep of 2008. It boggles my mind that the rep makers go to great lengths to make complicated reps for which there is virtually no market (like the DeWitt's, for example), yet they ignore the simple Mark XV and XVI.

The gens can be had fairly cheap (under $3,000), so they should pick one up and rep it 1:1. All they need to do is get the dial and case right, use the S2892 movement, and assemble the case like the gen (not the joke that is the XV rep), and they'll have an instant winner!

I've wanted one of these since trying one on at a dealer last summer. I would definitely buy one if they come up with a high-quality rep of this watch. Seems like a consensus is growing here that this would be a popular model... I hope the dealers are paying attention.