When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rating system back online

Admin

IMHO "rating" or "grading" is it the same?

Is it a popularity contest?

Is it a "trade" of compliments?

Does it give a feeling of control or power to be able to "not grade" or grade everything?

When someone grades almost every post .. does it give members the "feeling" of .. what?

When stars can be given out randomly does this then become in appreciation or a matter of acceptance into a group or group of members?

Just some questions I ask myself as to what is the rating or grading system really do.. does it create negatives or does it "motivate" the positive, in the overall information process of the forum ?

Does it enhance the social significance of: be with us or be without us ?

Does it enhance Politics or is it just a fast way to compliment ; is the star warranted or just a "feel me" signature?

Just a way of massive fast posting?

Intent and purpose .... Short fall .... ????? Who knows.. everyone has their own intent and purpose.. i guess time will tell if we are here to be graded ... appreciated .. just be apart of the whole.... or whatever.. maybe it's about replicas..... :lol: ...... B)

Just food for thought :rolleyes:

Thx Admin !

On the other hand, this system avoids useless posts (negative or positive). It should someow help the database to be lighter.

Pix,

Sorry to disagree here.

No posts are useless, all are welcome.

Don't you like when they tell you how great your photos are?

More reactions are what we all are looking at...

"stars" or "wtf" are not making this place nice and friendly at all.

Again...only my two cents.

Stephane

@capice

You can only rate others posts.

@all

The rating system puts several different kind of "loads" on the server. Instead of giving you a very technical explanation (unfortunately, this is very complicated :() I'll just say that the older version of the rating system was not so tightly integrated into the forums built-in caching system, while this version is supposed to be better. But a fast board is more important than ratings, so if there are no improvements or if the system start using lots of system resources, it will be removed again.

Pix,

Sorry to disagree here.

No posts are useless, all are welcome.

Don't you like when they tell you how great your photos are?

More reactions are what we all are looking at...

"stars" or "wtf" are not making this place nice and friendly at all.

Again...only my two cents.

Stephane

Sure St

Intent and purpose .... Short fall .... ????? Who knows.. everyone has their own intent and purpose.. i guess time will tell if we are here to be graded ... appreciated .. just be apart of the whole.... or whatever.. maybe it's about replicas..... :lol: ...... B)

Just food for thought :rolleyes:

You have a valid point here. Although the rating system can be very motivating it also has its drawbacks. Not only can it provoke people with the 'spam', 'disagree' and the 'wtf' signs, it also facilitates a certain laziness. I don't think an 'agree' would help any discussion further, but only make it a kind of contest who's more right or more wrong. A disagree rating without motivation can be very rude in my opinion.

Most of the time I use the rating system in the wristchecks and only to pics or reps that I really like. I prefer that over repeating other peoples pictures and cluttering the thread.