When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Roll call.. How many RWG members have a genuine Panerai?

V

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the other hand if you want to do what I did myself. I tried ALL the reps and bought the genuine of the watch I LOVED the most. Didn't cared about value for money or anything else. Just the watch I LOVED to have in my wrist the most.

It's the same story for me. I perhaps have not tried ALL the reps, but the 111 is for me THE watch i want, the real one , without any flaws, which brings me personal satisfaction to have it. And i am happy to have took the time for it, to be sure of my choice :D

So we reached 20 members in less than one day...

I am sure that at least 5 persons I know haven't replied and they are still more that I do not know of.

What that means?

Well basically that we are not here because we cannot afford the genuine watches. We are not 'cheapies' or pretenders... and that's probably what bothers most the 'purists', the elitist snobs of every brand.

Because the people who are passionate about the brand do not care about oem and reps.. They love Panerai (or any other brand) ;)

Well basically that we are not here because we cannot afford the genuine watches. We are not 'cheapies' or pretenders... and that's probably what bothers most the 'purists', the elitist snobs of every brand.

Because the people who are passionate about the brand do not care about oem and reps.. They love Panerai (or any other brand) ;)

Ohh, I see your motivation now. Good one.

As you can see from the Finepics/Risti saga, it's not easy to sit astride both gen and rep worlds. The gen owners think you're a low-life, if they find out you once owned a rep of a PAM, etc.

Whilst rep owners sometimes have a reverse snobbism, thinking they're so much more intelligent because they bought practically the same watch for peanuts.

Both attitudes leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth. :yuk:

The only thing I can say with 100% conviction is that I would NEVER have known of and fallen in love with Panerai, if not for the rep forum. I'm sure that's true of SO MANY OF US here. That I shall become "legitimate" soon when I buy the 111/005, is inconsequential.

What matters is that rep or gen, we love and treasure the marque -- Panerai. E basta!

Well purists may think we are low-lifes but they are happy to take your money. :lol: And make no mistake many drool over some of the vintages folks put together here.

RWG is a diverse place. There are many folks who came here out of purist forums and with a history of buying gens. And in truth playing with reps has caused me to buy more than one gen. So I guess rep forums really do benefit the genuine manufacturers. :lol:

I agree.. I would have never think of buying a GEN Pam without being to RWG and owning some reps first. NEVER.

But trust me.. most of the Paneristi I know are great 'GREAT' guys.. They are those few elitist snobs that have more money than brains that scare the others and create a bad atmosphere about reps.

Loving the brand is one thing. Showing off is another ;)

No AD would do 'milling' of cg. :o

They send the watch to service center in order to replace the cg (which is a 30$ cost for Panerai service).

I have my 112 for almost 2 years as my daily beater and I have really abused it. I have scratched the case but the glas is still immaculate.

I find scratching the glass very difficult unless you throw it from a balcony or something similar.

well Wempe did it - and i was very happy - i bought the watch from the gray market

not from them - and hearing so many horror stories from the panerai service centers - they did prob a better

job then the service center would have (and without months of waiting to get the watch back ;) )

cheers,

Frank

well Wempe did it - and i was very happy - i bought the watch from the gray market

not from them - and hearing so many horror stories from the panerai service centers - they did prob a better

job then the service center would have (and without months of waiting to get the watch back ;) )

cheers,

Frank

Frank, Wempe is one of the very few ADs who could probably undertake that job.. :)

Apart from that, the Panerai service wouldn't even think of milling a cg because they would have replaced it with a proper new one with no cost for them. (And yes it could have been months of waiting)

I think Victoria and Kruzer summed it up that there are the single-minded "righteous" members from both sides of the fence who think they know all the answer of why whom does what.

Funny how it is always easy to dwell on the negative rather than to focus on the positive.

I'll take an article on an Omega purists' website (sounds like 'ethnocentric') that says this about us rep buyers:

"We have no regard towards the dseigns of the original manufacturer".

If the argument were true, this forum would not exist. Sure, we'd buy the reps and then be done with it. But no, we fix, fix, and fix just to make it faithful to the original. So I'll say that we don't fool, but we are faithful.

And that the elitists that need to prove themselves are usually more insecure than others.

Kelster- You are a braver man than me to let an AD try to grind down your crown guards. Sorry to hear about your watch. I know base PAMs are not COSC, but they should still preform at that level. My sapphire is still good, but I have seen quite a few on TZ that had chips especially around the edges.

Tech- I really wanted a G series 111, but I had an opportunity to get an F series with 5 straps included so I took it. I just love the Panerai, Panerai, Panerai engraving. Not to take anything away from the new engraving, I just prefer the older.

I'm not crazy about the sandwich dials....have always preferred the thickly lumed dials...my 252 was super thick with SL...

The new engravings on the movements are nice but I too preferred the older engravings as well...

;)

Its funny....i thought for sure I would miss my pannies...that hasn't happened at all...they were addictive at first...but not anymore...the only thing addictive are my reps...

B)

RWG is a diverse place. There are many folks who came here out of purist forums and with a history of buying gens.

Here's something to ponder:

Just like there are kids out there who never saw a home without a computer, and never held a 78" record, there are some youngsters whose very first watch ever was a rep. And probably they will never own the gen version...

...because they grew up in the Golden Age of Replica Watches.

Doubt I would've been one, had I been born in say, 1990. I think you need to own a gen watch first, to appreciate the variety of reps. This seems the opposite of what V is saying, but actually, if you think about it, not really.

If the argument were true, this forum would not exist. Sure, we'd buy the reps and then be done with it. But no, we fix, fix, and fix just to make it faithful to the original. So I'll say that we don't fool, but we are faithful.

Hey Anton. :)

The moment I read that, I realised yet another reason why you guys who mod watches, love it so much.

The problem is that gen watch owners look at mods not as tinkering, but as trying to get a watch closest to the original, so you can go around saying it's a gen. Or not even that: just the fact one wears a rep watch is inherent in trying to pass something off as a gen.

One doesn't have to say a word. The "Rolex" or "Panerai", say these purists, says it for us.

They could be right, but secretly, I think that's an excuse to be snobby about something. Never underestimate the happiness people have to SHUN.

No Gen Panerai But I do have 4 Genuine Rolexes ( Sub LV, Sub Rolesor, Yachtmaster Rolesium, and New Ceramic GMT steel) I also have a gen Planet Ocean, two Invicta COSC Reserve pieces which i very much like!!! And Drumroll please........................ A Gen RXW MM20 with the elusive Sapphire Crystal and even more elusive tight crown guard and lever. I have had and sold in the past year (also Genuines) a James Bond Seamaster, A Doxa Pro, A Speedmaster Moonwatch and a plain Jane but mint R series Rolex Submariner date (love the Kermit much more)

Gotta say between the RXW and my two rep Pams I really have no desire for a gen Pam. If I did it would be a base model. I much prefer spending my big watch moolah on Rolex. In fact I passed on the new Milgauus as I am on 3 dealers lists for a Daytona. If they come out with a new Daytona as is rumored at Basel I will definatley get it.

I've got 4 genuine watches.

1. 113

2. submariner

3. tag heuer monaco

4. iwc pocket watch

Ironically, I usually DON'T wear them. Because

with submariner, everyone is asking "is it a replica?" :), I don't like heuer square style... 113, I sometimes put this on, put prefer my black replicas :)

2,3 and 4 passed down from my grandfather in 2005. So even I don't wear them, I won't sell any of them.