When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aviation type chronographs!

importr

Hi, Some of you (from RWI) probably know my style by now, i just love chronos! :D

I also had an interest in aviation - although I've not got around to starting any flying lessons! I guess life's just too damn busy.

I had some spare time last night, where I managed to take a lot of pics (albeit a bit rushed);

some of which are my best watches - with relevance to aviation....hope you enjoy....

First up, the IWC 3717 Pilot . How apt! Bought from Precious Time UK around 1 yr ago. Still running strong, looks very clean and crisp. I fitted the ETA day & date wheels to this. It feels very solid and dependable, for a rep. (yeah yeah, I know about the fibre thing on the bezel!)

S5002104.jpg

Next, a genuine Breitling B-1. I've had this for less than a year, bought from a US dealer on eBay. Looks very bling. Extremely accurate and versatile. Very comfortable on the wrist without being too heavy. The bezel/slide rule mechanism is wonderful!

S5002105.jpg

Gen. Breitling Navitimer - some would say the pilots watch. This one, a Serie Speciale Fighters Edition, bought from the same US eBay dealer about 2 years ago. I had owned a series of Navitimer replicas, but in the end I was fed up of the flaws and dead movements. This one came with a brushed Navitimer bracelet, very comfortable, but it looks better with the calf leather. I've just sent this off for a service with Breitling UK.

S5002106.jpg

Gen. Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch. Bought from a Japanese eBay dealer also around 2-3 years ago. Like the Navitimer, I had various replicas, but again I gave way to the gen. This feels old school when I wear it, in comparison to the other watches I have. Classic styling perhaps? So well made, this feels bulletproof. Apart from the Hesalite crystal...

S5002107.jpg

Breitling Chronomat Evolution, apparently the Italians had influenced the design of the gen., therefore a nice stylish dress watch. Bought from PureTime a while ago, when the Evo2 rep was first released. This one keeps good time, although it was not entirely without trouble. The dial @ 6, needle moved in proportion to the main hour hand - although it has gone back to 'parked' for the last 6 months or so. The Date wheel doesnt quick-set anymore. Maybe this needs a service....? I modded the bracelet and strap horns with a brushing wheel. The rep croc strap was later bought from eBay, a very nice combo. I was gonna buy a Blackbird...but they look too similar??

S5002108.jpg

Ah, yes. Another Navitimer! :roll: This one being the hi-beat 7750 Serie Speciale Fighters rep. I did a comparison a long time ago between the gen and rep, the differences being quite noticeable! :lol:

This one was bought from King about 1 year ago, the original movt supplied had died on the first day! I dropped the watch onto a boarded floor as I was unwrapping it. Blast <_<

While swapping in the new movement, I decided to go the whole 9 yards and brush everything, Navitimer bracelet too. I also fitted the ETA date wheel. The strap in the pic is a Hirsh Liberty. It feels like seriously good quality hide. Love it B)

S5002109.jpg

Here is a Bell & Ross BR03-94, bought recently from Perfect Clones. I love this watch. The wide band and case being the essential fashion accessory. Very accurate, as you'd expect from an ETA quartz. I've not needed to mod this at all....yet. Can't see any reason to try to 'improve' it?

S5002110.jpg

Umm....another B&R!! Sorry if you hate B&R...but its literally like a cockpit instrument clock! De riguer!

This BR01-94 is another favourite of mine. Reason 1 being the all black stealthy & tough look. Reason 2 being the price I bought it for - $140! ...for an ETA! :) (bought from an auction site, new) The leather strap, although not looking entirely accurate to the gen, is very comfortable... I was surprised to find out.

S5002111.jpg

"IS THIS THE FRICKIN BREITLING SECTION?!" haha.. no....but another example of a rep with mods!

This Navi was an early model low-beat 7750 tricompax. I trimmed a genuine dial and shoehorned it into the case. Strap is a BOB (Waccex.de) croc with tang buckle. The movement packed up recently... :rolleyes:

S5002113.jpg

I got this from Canal Street, NYC! My first B&R - and fitted with an AltStraps calf leather - worth more than the watch! :lol: The Miyota OS20 not being to everyones rep taste, but it's a nice souvenir that reminds me of my trip to NY with the wife :) ...and dragging her around Chinatown !! :whistling:

S5002114.jpg

Now....my latest acquisition....a gen. Breitling Chrono Avenger. Not quite an aviators watch....but then why not? It doesnt need to be worn with a 737 pilots suit...how about an AH-64 jumpsuit?! ;)

I just luuurve this watch. Really really well made, it pisses all over the rep - in every aspect. I might take this to the Andes this summer...

S5002116.jpg

Finally, another gen that I bought recently, an Oris TT3 Ti chrono. I was about to pull the trigger on the rep;

but the flaws put me off, and the gen price on the Net was to good to miss. So I got this. Another great

sports watch, feels very comfortable and light - I often forget that I'm wearing it. The quick-lock crown is a great idea too, stops all that thread stripping paranoia.

S5002118.jpg

So, thats it! For now.... :)

My collection of gen & reps...

S5002169.jpg

S5002170.jpg

Edited by Importr

Interesting collection :rolleyes: and i love what you did to the Navitimer series speciale.... i guess you're the first i see who has brushed the case and bracelet, which is correct of course!

Could you please tell me what the flaws where on the Oris? Thanx in advance.

Cheers all ;)

a few more pics of brushing the Fighters...

BEFORE:

S5001030.jpg

AFTER:

S5001368.jpg

BEFORE:

DSC00276.jpg

AFTER:

S5000006.jpg

gen & rep comparison....

ScotlAug06004.jpg

ScotlAug06008.jpg

ScotlAug06007.jpg

AKAIK, the flaws with the Oris TT3 chrono rep are:

Lack of engraving on the case back

Wrong rotor shape

inaccuracy of printing on the inner bezel

missing red tip on large seconds

Titanium not used?

21,600 vph asian movt...

Great collection!

I am amazed to see that you have managed to insert a gen dial in a Navitimer. I have thought about doing that, since Ebay for some reason is flooded with quite cheap Breitling dials.. :)

I wonder if the dials had come from the era when Quartz was all the rage...? When the Swiss watchmaking industry was on its knees...

You have very good taste and your photo skills are excellent! I love chronos too.

Your B&R 01-94, may I ask? What is the case size, 42 or 46 mmm?

Also, from whom did you get it please?

PM if you want to keep it discreet.

Thank you!