When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should impolite PMs be answered or ignored?

Stephane

And one other thing ... Use spell check ... it does help your message come across better.

There very few instances where we can say with 100% truth, but I think this is one:

No one likes impoliteness.

That's why I thought what we're discussing is a bit moot.

Other stuff, like spelling, grammar, and overall presentation are not strong suits on the internet. That's probably what makes RWG.CC's members so special.

The regulars and even the fly-by-night newbies seem to more well-spoken than others. THANK GOD. :victory:

But at the end of the day, being polite is not something you can judge about yourself. It's what others judge of you. And total silence as a "reply", is just as rude, IMHO. As an indolent correspondent, I know just how much it is, with regret.

If it's such a recurring issue, perhaps a .sig statement to the effect of, "I place great store in politeness in interpersonal communication. Do not approach me if you don't."

Or words to that effect.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just arrive after the battle, but just want to say that i totaly aggre about what i have read here.

Even if PM i received were a little bit rude, i always gave them an answer ..... perhaps in the same rude style i must say :p

But, the thing that makes me crasy is not to have an "thanks you" after answering, or not to have a "strap well arrived" when i sell one :angry:

A short story....

A long time ago on the old RWG I received a PM which came across as a cry for help, however the PM was titled something like "Looking for help from the best poster on RWG"

Yeah the idea was to try and pump the ego a bit to get my interest, yet I read on and the following story was quite plausible.

Basically this lady wanted to buy a Daytona rep for her husbands birthday and after wasting far to much time on the outside sites she had stumbled across RWG.

Now she claimed she would normally be more than happy to do her own research for the watch but she was now out of time and a watch needed to be bought within the next day if it was to reach her in time for hubby's birthday.

Now let me tell you straight off it was the story not the title of the PM that hooked me and I told her to leave it with me and I will give her an answer by the morning (my time), I then applied myself to some of the most intensive researching I have done on any board, reading each and every Daytona review and the like I could find until I was sure in my own mind who to buy from, I should add here that she quoted her budget was in line with what the outside sites charge so there was never a money problem.

Anyway I decided to check my findings off other senior members and what do you know I find she has sent the exact same PM to a number of senior members.........and with the same title!

So I contact this lady and tell her I am not impressed with her modus operandi and of course she comes across all apologetic and claims the story is still true and she promises to make a nice review of the watch once she can get it off hubby's wrist, I also suggest a small donation to RWG would not go astray seeing as she has utilized half the senior members of the board and then give her the details of my research which she verifies is the same as the others had told her.

So long story short, she gets her Daytona, we didn't get her review or small donation and we never hear from her again, so I ask all the noobs to please understand that there is often good reasons why senior are not keen to do your research for you.

Ken

@ Ken.

I would really like to meet you Ken.

Reading your story confirm how nice you must be.

In french we say "le coeur sur la main, the heart in the palm of the hand"...

It's such a shame that few are giving and so many are stealing.

Cheers

Stephane

@ Ken.

I would really like to meet you Ken.

Reading your story confirm how nice you must be.

In french we say "le coeur sur la main, the heart in the palm of the hand"...

It's such a shame that few are giving and so many are stealing.

Cheers

Stephane

Maybe one day my friend....we live in hope. :)

Ken

I've just received a PM on another forum, asking about the IWC GST. The sender mentioned he got a gen dial for 110 and was wondering if it's a good price.

Well, it depends what currency you're using. I'm European (British) and I have worked in Euros and pounds sterling. I make a point of my Eurocentricity in my profile, telling everyone under my avatar that I'm British. If you want my opinion, talk my language and either use my currency or tell me what currency you'rte using. Assuming I'm American will never get you anywhere.

110 for a gen dial? Is that 110 clams? Sovs? Octopi? Cowrie shells?

110 for a gen dial? Is that 110 clams? Sovs? Octopi? Cowrie shells?

By this description, you're assuming he's American.

Unless he tipped his hand by saying "dollars", he or indeed, she, could be Canadian, Australian, etc. etc.

It's curious what ticks us off. Clearly we're getting into the realm of nitpickiness (you should hear what makes me bonkers).

Unless he tipped his hand by saying "dollars", he or indeed, she, could be Canadian, Australian, etc. etc.

Canadians are American. It's a continent, not a country.

You can see what time zone people are in and unless he was in either of the cold circles, he was from the Americas.

Canadians are American. It's a continent, not a country.

Ironically, no Canadian would EVER want to be described as American. If people think they're doing them favours by so noting, I think it will come as a surprise they don't appreciate it.

You still made as much an assumption as you say the person did, Pugwash. Your point is hanging very limpid in the wind at the mo'.

no Canadian would EVER want to be described as American

Umm....what about corgi?

I have always looked on reps as having one currency USD, yes I know we have Euro dealers but the vast majority of dealings and mods (and accessories :D ) have always been USD.

Ken

Umm....what about corgi?

If the other Canadian doesn't work out, I'm going after Corgi. Man after my own Captainess America-loving heart!

Mind you, they'd probably stone him in Ottawa.

I have always looked on reps as having one currency USD, yes I know we have Euro dealers but the vast majority of dealings and mods (and accessories :D ) have always been USD.

Fear not, dear Ken. It'll be Yuan soon. :lol:

You still made as much an assumption as you say the person did, Pugwash. Your point is hanging very limpid in the wind at the mo'.

I made an educated guess. You'll not convince me I'm wrong on this one.

ps. Where did I state he was from the US? You're inferring and then accusing me of assuming. Bad move ;)

I answer all PMs even if it is someone asking for a how to make a strap from the start to finish including how to chose the leather, i tewll them to do it the way i do, learn as you go, I must say i do not get a lot though. People should however learn how to be polite, not just in PMs but in every day life too! And i refer to all people not just members here who are in the main polite.

I don't think anyone can convince you you're wrong of anything, Puggy.

ps. Where did I state he was from the US? You're inferring and then accusing me of assuming. Bad move ;)

"Assuming I'm American will never get you anywhere."

It comes from observing you. I know that you'd never be outraged that a Brazilian or Bahamian were presuming you were an American; an American doing so especially elicits this reaction from you.

BTW, I found 15 Euros on the floor the other day. I think I'll go buy a yachtie! Ciao, Pugwash.

QUOTE (Pugwash @ Mar 2 2008, 04:42 PM)

I don't think anyone can convince you you're wrong of anything, Puggy.

ps. Where did I state he was from the US? You're inferring and then accusing me of assuming. Bad move

"Assuming I'm American will never get you anywhere."

It comes from observing you. I know that you'd never be outraged that a Brazilian or Bahamian were presuming you were an American; an American doing so especially elicits this reaction from you.

BTW, I found 15 Euros on the floor the other day. I think I'll go buy a yachtie! Ciao, Pugwash.

A little off the subject?

Maybe these 2 should simply agree to dis-agree, and not continue to sling off at each other. :D

Funny thing is...

Pugs [forum] attitude clearly reflects that of an American..

ie; USA'er

Sorry J...

But it's the truth...

You'd fit right in here...

Probably best in the Northeast...

B)

Double T

If you call me Canadian, I won't get upset. :lol:

I've been watching a lot of the travel channel in the past 24 hours. They were following a young guy who was traveling around the world for a year. Along the way, they were interviewing other young travelers he ran into on his trip. Apparantly, most of the travelers have a flag patch on their backpack to let you know where they are from. They commented that there were very few Americans (based on the flag patches) and a lot of Canadians. One of the Canadians they interviewed, was from California. :lol:

One of the Canadians they interviewed, was from California.

Funny you say that...

When traveling abroad...

I'm consistently embarrassed by American's [uSA] behavior...

And have considered on more than one occasion to say I'm from Canada...

Double T