When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rolex models from the Basel 2008 Show

piratedzeus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carlsbadrolex

Is it possible to change my user name from CarlsbadRolex to.... lets say Carlsbadthrewupalittleinhismoutbecausethesearesofugly ?

Im ashamed... simply ashamed! I hope that the value of pre-2008 debacle Rolex watches skyrockets!

new submariner is absolutely beautiful!! Big and chunky is in nowadays. Quality and finish are also much much better, bezel is engraved etc...You cant justice them just by seeing them in stands, you need to try it on your wrist.Im sure they all would look awesome and better than old models on wrist

A few observations........

After the initial shock subsides & a few of the more senior members of TZ purchase these new models, they will be accepted & even preferred (over the models they replace) by the majority of WISs.

For modders of modern Subs & Seadwellers, it looks like MBW is out (as the base upon which to begin your mods) & Canal Street is in. The CGs & width of lugs makes these new models look like copies of el-cheapo fakes. Add the wide 'mud flap' lume markers & garish colors on the dial & you have a winnner.

Rolex's recent design direction towards 'Vegas Baby' (bling) is just another reason why vintage is the way to go.

Wow! A genuine relax with blue dial and bezel on a silver colored watch!

A guy gave me a few replicas like this and they looked so goofy that I hid them away.

...except for a couple that I gave to kids.

I guess I need to dig 'em out because they are In-Style-Now!

sub1gc0.jpg

Even the pearl looks like a fake on the new Sub (too tall). It is truly amazing how this new watch not only incorporates, but seems to celebrate many of the 'inaccuracies' that we have come to accept as distortions in the world of low-end rep watches (the exception being the ceramic bezel, which is a good idea & 1 that was long overdue). When you consider the new Basel models in the context of the recently released Milgauss, Yachtmaster & others, you get the sense that there is a consistent pattern developing that denotes a sea change within Rolex's design works. Clearly, Rolex has decided to turn away from their traditional, (mostly) understated market niche in favor of a more glitzy, Swatch-like approach ('Vegas, Baby!!!!') -- adding eye-catching bling to the entire line & for no other purpose than to catch new eyes. Somehow, I just cannot envision any of these new Rolexes on the wrists of men of classic style like Cary Grant or George Clooney, Rolex's traditional target audience. But I will bet that Bruce Willis & Snoop Dogg already have their orders in.

The end of the true gentleman's tool watch.

On the other hand, every time Rolex releases a watch that deviates significantly from the previous model (the Daytona Cosmographs come to mind here), there is an initial repulsion from existing customers that lasts about 6 months. Then, a few notables buy them & slowly the tide changes & the new models come to be accepted as modern (& worthy) updates of their elder cousins. That is exactly what happened after the recent Milgauss release & I would expect nothing less with these new Basel models. And, to be fair, I do kind of dig the new Yachtmaster, Daydate & no date models (the ones with circular sections in the center of the dial). I would never wear any of them in public (like mopeds -- fun to own, but you would never want someone you know to see you with 1), but I can appreciate them for what they are - (Rolex) quality, state-of-the-art bling-bling.

Yeeeez, I like the rep better than this new super deep SD. :lol: I think it's a mistake for rlx to move away from the slim cases of old. The new sports models are getting so far removed from original timeless designs that they are losing their resemblance to the rlx brand.

At a thickness of 18mm, the new SD should make a Pam feel like a toy in comparison. :o

J, terrific 1675. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I agree that these vintage beauties will continue to escalate in value.

Smurfmariner and PlanetoceanYachmasterIIDweller - Thank god I bought my Gen subs when I did don't like these designs at all!!!! All the sub needed was a ceramic bezel and Maxi-markers for the entire sub line. How f*cking obnoxious who is doing the design work FUBU???