When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's on your radar this spring / summer?

By-Tor

It changes on a daily basis, but today it looks like this:

Reps

1. Pam 187

2. Pam 183

3. Pam 239

4. APROO Safari

5. Ingy

6. SOSF white dial

Gens

1. Steinhart Nav. B-Uhr

2. Steinhart Triton

3. MKII Sea Fighter

Long list, (and an even longer strap list!), but I'll whittle it down to a couple of reps and one gen...........probably all change tomorrow though ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Breguet Trans-Atlantique but only in rose gold. Also, it's hella expensive. I suppose once the bracelet starts a-peelin' I could swap it for a strap, but then I need a pin removal tool, and a strap with matching buckle which will be impossible to find - it's just too much effort for a timepiece with such huge flaws.

@By-Tor: when I compared my brushed Link Chrono with a gen at the AD window it occured to me that not only the pushers have a different shape/size and the crown has too few teeth, also the bezel is too big. Maybe it's modelled after an older version of the gen I'm unaware of.............

Nevertheless it's still a gorgeous watch.

Also mine was sold as a high beat 7750, but Ziggy found out it wasn't. Seems that most TAG Links these days only have low beat movements.

Good to know.

The datefont used to be an issue too. But I doubt they're using that original (horrible) font anymore.

@Omni: That's funny... I didn't mean 36 is old, but I guess it's old enough to see some of your tastes slowly changing. :)

The datefont used to be an issue too. But I doubt they're using that original (horrible) font anymore.

The first release had that fugly Times Roman font. The one I have has a better font, but I've swapped it for an ETA wheel :)

As a bonus mine came with single AR which actually look quiet nice.

@Iceberg: I love that Patek!!

Damn this hobby! It's only May and I bought six watches already:

Rolex Vintage Daytona

Rolex Retro GMT

Rolex NOOB Black SUB

PAM Black Seal SS

PP Nautilus Brown Dial/Leather

IWC ST. Exuperry RG/Brown

On the Radar:

Breitling SFSO Heritage/Brown and Blue Joshua/Andrew commissioned coming out next month

IWC ST. Exuperry SS/Brown

Chopard MM GTXXL

and still waiting for a DRSD and Pepsi GMT from TTK

I'm nuts.....we're all nuts!

I just got my Oris CC limited edition from Silix. Awesome watch! For the summer......

I can't wait to read some reveiws on the Graham Swordfish, black with orange numbers!!!!! I really hope the reviews are good that one. If the reviews are bad then I will settle of for Chopard XXL.

We'll See.

On the horizon I would like to get a gen PO big size, it seems to be one of the only watches around that I would spend real money on.

As to reps, I am thinking of not getting any really - but maybe build a couple of pam hommages - I would like a skeleton, but not sure it is me, so that would be one of the hommages. As to another, something plain in a sandwich dial with a date font, possibly power reserve, but in manual wind. Maybe in a radiomir case.

Yes we're nuts !!!

:bounce:

I have nothing else on the radar but the projects:

a perfect sub, oops, a best sub, 16610

a beater "16800"

Finish that bloody 1680 couple

a Marina Militare Destro very aged

put a 6 MM crown on RepAustria's 16710

As for a new gen purchase I'm still thinking about a SnowFlake of course.

Reps: it will depend on what comes out but I'm really a Rolex guy so I doubt I would buy anything else.

For me the priority will have to be the AP ROO - it's always been my grail watch so I hope they rep it well!

If the Big Pilot ever appears then that will make my list.

However while browsing today I noticed the Sinn 657 Pilot and it really caught my eye:

B106_Sinn_657_c.JPG

Latest model from Sinn, iutstanding quality watch at entry level pricing. This is a well designed watch produced to high standards by Germany's best known watchmaker. It is the Sinn Flieger 657 automatic pilot’s wristwatch. This is a modified version of the Sinn 656, which is one of Sinn’s best selling models. It has been modified to include a pilot style rotating bezel. This is a bi directional ratchet operated sturdy rotating bezel. Like the rest of the dial design, the numerics on the bezel are big and bold and symmetrically laid out. The dial is likewise symmetrical and even, with a strong emphasis on design. It has 4 large prime hour numbers, jet black with white markings and hands giving maximum visibility and clarity. The design is based on an aircraft clock. As well as being a lovely practical looking watch, it is highly functional and is extremely resistant to magnetic interference, and has a strong well finished crystal and case. There is a small date window between the 4 and 5 hour markings. It is small so not to interfere with the numeric symmetry of this beautifully designed watch. Sandblasted stainless steel case and bracelet. The watch features a Swiss made ETA 2824-2 automatic, screw down crown and case back, 10 ATM water resistance, high quality stitched leather strap and signed buckle, stop seconds for accurate time setting, sapphire crystal with anti reflective coating, presentation box. Width is 40 mm at widest excluding crown and 43 mm including crown, Lug to lug is 45 mm, Thickness is 12 mm. Ref SIN 39a Price

I'm having VDB make me a vintage 6152-1 MM Destro. I'm also starting to dream about a Cortebert/Rollie/Angelus-powered 6152-1 with a tobacco Luminor Panerai Dial and Grail-like vintage accuracy. I'm willing to sell just about every rep I have (except my VJ72 Daytona), or maybe even my Gen Tank Francaise to get it. If anyone's got one they want to sell...

But most of all, I hope to get MY DAMN GEN 5512 BACK FROM MY WATCH GUY. HE'S HAD IT SIX @#$^% MONTHS.

I'm a big fan of Zenith, and I'd probably buy anything from the classic El Primero line. But that Defy Extreme... well, it's really extreme. Maybe a bit too much for me. :)

I'm not familiar with its specs, but do you really think the factories could replicate that one properly?

I think Zenith took a step backwards with their new design.

Give me ANYTHING from the old El Primero lineup (especially the Flyback Rainbow) and I'm all over it. Chronomaster T, Port Royal and Grande Classe are all fine, but the other new ones... hmm...

But then again, I have a conservative watch taste.

I'm not familiar with its specs, but do you really think the factories could replicate that one properly?

from what i hear, they are repping some from the defy extreme series. the only problem

i see they will have is the subdial spacing....just like the ebel.

i would also like to see the zenith aero repped, but again, i see them having a problem with the subdial spacing...

i really could care less...i just want to see some quality zenith's repped. im a huge fan as well.

img14defy2qv9.jpg

i would also like to see the zenith aero repped, but again, i see them having a problem with the subdial spacing...

i really could care less...i just want to see some quality zenith's repped. im a huge fan as well.

That's the spirit!

If I really like the design of some particular chrono, I want to buy it. I don't care about the spacing issue, either.

It's not technically possible to mimic the spacing on many watches, so that leaves two alternatives: Replica with wrong spacing or no replica at all. I'm really glad the BTR got repped, and would like to see some Zeniths too.

What do I want to get??

The Stephane super aged SRSD - Amazing art work aging on the lume markers, rusty hands, flat 3's, gen parts up the yin yang...slick:

RolexSDSingleRedMM_PS800_09.jpg

SQL_PL's 16520 - another project grail watch with gen parts, Ebel guts...all the good stuff and the glory!

12489956fb3.jpg

BUT...as I am a failure and didn't retire at 17 because of the success of my Dot Com enterprise...I have to stick to reps. What reps would I like to get??

Lanikai's Ebel is looking great. I don't have a 3-6-9 configuration, and I think this is an interesting design using this version of the A7750. I like the carbon fiber like textured running seconds dial contrasting with the smoothness of the rest of the dial. It has an interesting clasp design, the quality according to Lani is great...which is a key factor for most of my rep buying (finding best of breeds):

csc0020op2.jpg

I'm really becoming fond of the 1655. I would love an Oli uber-Franken...but that's too much work and cost for me. TMG's version is looking good as a first Franken Project using the Omega hands, and probably a cheaper Clarks crystal. I like the orange GMT hand, and the vintage look to it. Too bad a rep 7836 bracelet doesn't exist...I'm not so fanatic as to pay huge bucks for a "gen" that may in fact be fake. TMG's is pictured below:

DSCN4548A.jpg

I also like the incorrect 6263 from Joshua (picture below from Elprimerozen). Incorrect symmetrical chrono-pushers, big ROLEX printing on dial, but that acrylic tach ring...what's not to love??

DSC01295.jpg

...and another one of these...they make great gifts! If you give someone a gift of a fake Rolex...they might look at you weird if they aren't really into watches, and don't understand why you would give somebody a good quality, well designed piece that wasn't genuine. However...give them a Crazy Hours...and they'll be too busy laughing or being amused by it to even think that a genuine of the thing actually does exist. Click the image for my review.

CrazyBackground.jpg

I also would love a good rep of the new ceramic Rolex GMT with the larger case, maxi dial, ceramic or plastic bezel...I think that is an interesting departure point for Rolex design, before they get silly. Who knows if this will be made.

I also like the Oris Carlos Coste...but it's too big for me.

I'm a big fan of Zenith, and I'd probably buy anything from the classic El Primero line. But that Defy Extreme... well, it's really extreme. Maybe a bit too much for me. :)

Same for me.. I really like the Classic and Crhonomaster line, but not really the Extreme.. Look like a plastic watch :(