When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1917 WWI Ammo Strap (Lots of Pics)

LifterCatcher

Let me start by saying that this was no easy feat. This was by far the most challenging task that I have done when it comes to making a strap.

The ammo pouch does not have very much leather to actually work with. It took over two hours to disassemble one pouch of the pack. I know understand why this pouch has held up through thick and thin. It is built like an army tank, big huge tight stitches all the way around the pouch, extra stitching at every joint.

Once I finally got the pouch taken apart, I studied the leather that I had to work with for some time. Mapping out the strap and where I would have to cut to make this work. I knew I only had one chance and that if I made just one little mistake the leather would be useless. I got it all mapped out and took a deep breath and made my first cut. Sat back mapped it out some more and made another cut.

It took eight total hours after getting the pouch taken apart to make this strap. I was exhausted after it was done and sat on my pouch with a Corona looking at this wonderful master piece. Well you guys tell me what you think :) I think this is my best one yet.

VintageAmmoStrapsand019Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand017Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand006Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrap002.jpg

VintageAmmoStrap005.jpg

VintageAmmoStrap029.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand001Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand003Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand007Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand011Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand013Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand019Medium.jpg

VintageAmmoStrapsand018Medium.jpg

It took eight total hours after getting the pouch taken apart to make this strap. I was exhausted after it was done and sat on my pouch with a Corona looking at this wonderful master piece. Well you guys tell me what you think :) I think this is my best one yet.

Doesn't that hurt?

Excellent strap, btw... think you can do one to fit me? At an hour an inch you might just need 2 Corona's and a massage when you're done.

Did you happen to find the ammo pouch on ebay? If so, give us a link or pic to what you started with.

-brent

Great looking strap, for sure. You'll really enjoy that one for years! But, that's a lot of work for ONE Corona!

That is Great work there ... also super nice pictures ...

Laz

Thanks a lot, I had a lot of fun taking those pictures.

Well worth the eight hours it took to make.

Beautiful strap.

Great looking strap, very well made congrats! What's the size of it?

I will measure it for you when I get off work and post the measurments

Doesn't that hurt?

Excellent strap, btw... think you can do one to fit me? At an hour an inch you might just need 2 Corona's and a massage when you're done.

LOL I pourch........... I can make one to fit you no problem

The strap is perfectly cool !!!! :clap3:

BTW, Do you have any pictures of the ammo pouch before it become the straps? :plane:

p_Swedish_ammo_pouch_005.jpg

p_Swedish_ammo_pouch_010.jpg

p_Swedish_ammo_pouch_001.jpg

Ammopouches021.jpg

Ammopouches004.jpg

A very nice looking and intersting strap, i like the way you have used the old fasteners to make the keepers.

Me too.....I think it;s the best part of the strap. Gives it a lot of character

Did you happen to find the ammo pouch on ebay? If so, give us a link or pic to what you started with.

-brent

See above pictures, found the pouch from a WW1 collector

Great looking strap, for sure. You'll really enjoy that one for years! But, that's a lot of work for ONE Corona!

Had more than one <_<

nice but it would be better to see it on a watch.

Will post some pictures with it on my 005. It would look really great on a "fiddy" to bad I dont have one :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for all the great comments everyone............... going to make a few more ammo straps this week. Shoot me a PM if you would like to buy one. I can make 4 more.

Catcher

Dude...that straps is a piece of history .....it's and yours.

It deserved the time spent on it and what a result.....excellent craftsmanship!!!

:fish:

Fish,

Thanks a lot, I agree it deserves all the time it took. I really had to think twice about cutting up the pack, because it is a piece of history.

Catcher