When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm wondering too...regulars who don't contribute bucks

Another question, after I contribute, will that Ads be gone?

Used to... but not anymore.

I know these ads are bringing a lot to the forum (Admin said it once), but I feel uncomfortable having regular links to Exactreplicas or others, whereas they don't comply with what we expect from dealers here. Sorry to have to say that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. When I click on the upgrade button and the link to pay with credit card, I have to agree to setup a reoccurring payment. I won't do that. Especially with the way the USD has been performing lately. Who's to say the 30 euro won't be worth 100, or 200, or a bizillion USD in a year.

Exactly. I had to file a cease and desist on a very large, popular forum to get them to finally stop charging my account.

If I could make one time contributions here and there, i'd be much more apt to donate.

Fortunately, I have a sugar daddy that donated for me. :wub: SEXY!

WAIT...It says in your profile you are male?!? With a sugar Daddy?!?

:lol: I lol'd.

I'm male, thats my girlfriend in my avi.

There's people on this board that are very generous. A friend that I made here, made an extremely kind gesture to upgrade my acct. I didn't even have to tickle his :blink::blink: 's! Crazy Hawaiians. ;)

I stated in a prior thread like this (before I had supporter status) that next time I could afford to purchase another rep, I'd donate. I stated that I had been cash poor lately (my income was cut in half 12/07) and that plan made me feel better. If my idea made others feel better about it, they could consider the same approach.

I looked into donating (still haven't bought another rep since my SFSO), wanted to throw $20 at the board at the least (again, prior to supporter) and saw the only option was for reoccuring payments. I had an extremely hard time getting this to stop at another forum I chose to support (see my prior post).

That being said, I really think a "one time" sort've donation option should be considered here, I think it might bring more support than if left as it is currently.

Seriously some of you guys need to realize you have way more cash to throw around then others, and these threads should be the responsibility of the mods and admins. Just my .02. No offense to the OP.

Let me throw in my 2 cents. Rep collecting for me is a hobby that I enjoy. I am certainly not well off, and extra money to spend on watches is very scarce. In fact, I have not bought a "new" watch from a dealer in well over a year. I am able to pick up the odd fixer-upper from fellow members when the timing happens to be right. I can't however commit to an ongoing payment plan, no matter how small, as there is always the chance that I may not be able to meet my commitment. I would guess that many of our members are young guys, without children to feed, cloth, and provide for, a mortgage, property taxes, etc, etc.

Do I feel as though I am "leaching" off RWG? No, absolutely not. I made the decision a long time ago to make my contributions in the form of reviews, photos, and a constant input of information. I dare to say that there are very few of you out there that can equal the contributions of time and effort that I and several other members have made. My Navitimer guide took well over 40 hours to complete. I'm not saying that giving cash is a bad thing, but its not always the main thing.

Cheers, Andreww

Edited by andreww

Why have I not contributed?

Lazyness is number 1 - and has just stopped me a few minutes ago, as my CC is out in the car, it's 10 mins past midnight and I promise that I will upgrade tomorrow (honest).

Seriously though, I tried to upgrade months ago and there was some silly complicated system that simply wouldn't work for me. Payment was supposed to be made as a subscription to an obscure magazine or something and I simply couldn't get it to work.

I think it took me a while to put my hand in my pocket , but I found myself spending more and more time here and it seemed the right thing to do, especially after I bought a great watch from another supporter here.

I think I hesitated at first because I thought the Admin team might be a bunch of crooks who would run off with my credit card details. Stupid Old persons attitude to the tinternet and the wobbly web i guess.

Though I had my own reliable dropshipper before I found RWG, the community has given me so many more opportunities to induldge my watch needs. I would never of found collectors like Narikka and Davidsen if it were not for RWG and for that I am grateful.

Though my own contributions are pretty poor , there are others who are really inspiring with respect to Replica watch collecting, and I have found the contibutions by likes of Stephane and Rolli to really spark my enthusiasm and interest.

The support by other members has also been in my mind priceless and I think the recent POTR auctions are really reflective of a positive community spirit.

Sadly though, I really miss some of the positive posts of our missing member :( and the place is just not the same since we are no longer able to Gold star members and offer the odd Zing here and there. I Know our IT Dept had valid reasons for removing the grade system but it really did differentiate RWG from other Forums and that is why this place got my money.

Given the Stats though I'd say the number of supporters is looking pretty healthy of the 143 online currently 50 are supporters so thats around the 35% mark which is not bad.

Unfortunately there has been a recent shift in tone about RWG which though it may be useful for some, has made my enjoyment of the place much less than it once was and I will have to consider if I feel I want to contribute financially again

Cest la vie

If feel you can, you should , if you can

Thx for the info Corgi, I haven't found how to... Any tip ?

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN THE ORDER LISTED:

1. Download (and install) the MOZILLA FIREFOX INTERNET BROWSER:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

2. Install ADBLOCK

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10

Click the "add to firefox" button to install this browser modification.

3. Install FILTERSET.G

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

...there you go... this removes 99% of banner ads, even the annoying flash ones, and even adwords.

Ok I tend to think there are a few misconceptions in this thread, first and foremost as Andreww has stated adding informative threads to this forum is as much (if not more) a contribution as any monetary one, it's this information that makes this a quality forum in the first place.

Second is the fact that our Admin has on an number of occassions had to go public to request money to keep the board afloat, this is not coercion but an honest heartfelt plea and one that I am sure any of you would recognise carries a certain amount of humiliation for him.

Why do we constantly need these funds?

Well the old timers from back in the old RWG days will remember how we got bombarded with attempts to close us down, both RWG and TRC had to split their trading forums from their boards and move the lot offshore for a while, what our Admin has done here is to make this the safest replica forum so we can keep the board together and this has come at a cost and a high one.

It can be argued that the other boards don't have these safe gaurds and in fact are simply based in the US and this is true, however if the attacks were to happen again we would be the last to fall....if ever.

In the perfect world we would have enough supporters that we don't need to be forever trying to rake up dollars and we were getting close to this before a series of Paypal attacks ended with all supporter accounts closed and in the end not enough renewed their accounts when other avenues were set up.

The only reason for automatic renewal of supporter accounts is the vast amount of work that gets lumbered on our Admin trying to keep track of them, we have a very many more supporters that are concerned when their account downgrades than we have that are upset about it's automatic renewal.

That said our Admin would not think twice about cancelling and refunding a payment from anyone if the felt they didn't want to remain a supporter.

At the end of the day everyone needs to look at their own reasons for contributing or not but one thing is for sure and that is the one man that should not have to pay for your pleasure of using this board is the man who gave it to you our Administrator.

Ken

For me it's the cash. Despite my master level chess playing ability, I only have one student. I can't live on what I earn and a more mature person in my condition would not have even purchased one rep. I bought twelve so far.

I suspect LifterCatcher would be my nemesis. It's how I survive.

If Rolex were to make a Shackdweller, they would name an edition after me.

Just to be clear, when I said about feeling coerced into supporting, that feeling was not in any way from admin's request for help with hosting fees, but wholy down to comments from other members, who seemed to make it their mission to 'encourage' others to support, or who simply deride non-supporters as being 'cheap'.

I agree completely with what Andreww and cib0rgman said, and could not agree more strongly with this comment from P4GTR:

Seriously some of you guys need to realize you have way more cash to throw around then others, and these threads should be the responsibility of the mods and admins. Just my .02. No offense to the OP.

Even a blindman could see that there is a lot of money on these boards. Sure, there are some young student members, but equally, there are many members who have very lucrative positions in business. I think it blows the myth, that people only buy reps because they can't afford 'the real thing', totally out of the water, and it is nice to see that people are here, not because of the desire to hook some cheap watches to look successful, but out of a genuine passion for watches, be they genuine or replica: It shows that we're all here because we all love watches. But. I don't think it would hurt for folks to remember than not everyone is as well off, or has the disposeable income that they clearly have.

It is easy to be generous with money, when it is an easy commodity.

I'd like to hear the rationale from long time members who don't support RWG through their fiscal contributions. Membership status can be had by throwing in less than $0.15 per day.

What are your reasons...sloth...oversight...it's not worth it...some other reason???? Is it the cash???

I don't contribute because I don't like being called out like this. Who do you think you are to try to put people on the spot? You've just made me change my thoughts from "may contribute" to "will not."

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN THE ORDER LISTED:

1. Download (and install) the MOZILLA FIREFOX INTERNET BROWSER:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

2. Install ADBLOCK

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10

3. Install FILTERSET.G

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

...there you go... this removes 99% of banner ads, even the annoying flash ones, and even adwords.

Have done it...excellent advice...many thanks

I don't contribute because I don't like being called out like this. Who do you think you are to try to put people on the spot? You've just made me change my thoughts from "may contribute" to "will not."

I don't know how you would consider my OP insulting or a call out. I was just looking for information. There was a thread related to this several months ago and I found the reasons from some long time members facinating...not from a "what an a**hole perspective, but strictly from the perspective that there are other points of view. Sorry it "tweaked" something in you so visceral.

I am a little confused...you don't contribute because you don't like being called out like this??? You weren't contributing before you interpreted this as a call out.