When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anybody else lost the fever?

andreww

I've noticed over the past half year or so that I have all but stopped wearing Pams. My lovely 192 and Mini Fiddy seem to be just taking up space. I've also noticed that at least half the watches in the sales sections these days are Pams. Interestingly enough I find myself wearing Omegas exclusively as of late, and even my beloved Breits sit unused. Anybody else get in these sorts of ruts?

...I do agree....have the same feelings. As you are obsessed by Breitlings, my only watch-interest was PAM...had some 50 pannies in the past....most of them went to new loving homes....now I built an APROO collection, but as I do have nearly all existing models right now (and some pieces even double or triple) I fear to loose my fun for them.

I think this will never stop....its an UP and DOWN, a LOVE and HATE....but thats part of the fun...no?!

Theo

As a self-confessed PAMophile, I'll have to say no to that. I do, however, seem to have gotten over my PlanetOceanitis ;)

I guess at the end of the day, PAMs are the best suited to my personal requirements in a watch :)

I've noticed over the past half year or so that I have all but stopped wearing Pams. My lovely 192 and Mini Fiddy seem to be just taking up space. I've also noticed that at least half the watches in the sales sections these days are Pams. Interestingly enough I find myself wearing Omegas exclusively as of late, and even my beloved Breits sit unused. Anybody else get in these sorts of ruts?

That's funny you post this today, especially when you say you have lost interest in PAMs in favor of Omega.

I've been waiting for 6 months to get an appointment with the Ziggmeister to install a gen date wheel, gen crown and tube, and service a "sticky" movement in my Omega SMP chrono. Well, I received notification today that he was ready for me to send my watch in. After a nice email exchange with his assistant, I have decided to forgo the work for now, withdraw my place in line and spend the money I would have spent on this service on my current obsession, a PAM 104. I already have the "best" trusty version and will purchase a DSN version with the money I was going to spend on my SMP. Between these 2 watches, and with the purchase of other parts (yet to be determined), I hope to get back in line with The Zigmeister so he can help with this project as needed.

I think it's natural to switch back and forth.

I'm sure there will be a time when I kick myself for not doing the SMP service, but my watch fund is not unlimited and I'm just into PAMs these days. Besides, I can always reschedule the SMP work.

Have any nice PAMs you want to trade for an SMP and parts? :) (Just kidding. I think I'll keep the SMP)

Edited by mjmurphy926

I came here looking for a sub and that's the one I wear the most. Though its not a modern sub anymore but vintage.

I have some Panerai and a Breitling, but for the most part they get weekend time. I wear my 1680 pretty much all week

I find that I have been too broke for too long. My pay is suffering as I am paid on commission and the slow economy and weak dollar is not helping things. I have a long wish list for some new reps that I just couldn't afford to buy.

Of course me having 4 children I kinda brought some of this on myself. lol

I have my second interview tomorrow with another company and if I get that one, I will be buying like a man possessed. :) I am very nervous tonight though.

I came here looking for a sub and that's the one I wear the most. Though its not a modern sub anymore but vintage.

I have some Panerai and a Breitling, but for the most part they get weekend time. I wear my 1680 pretty much all week

I find that I have been too broke for too long. My pay is suffering as I am paid on commission and the slow economy and weak dollar is not helping things. I have a long wish list for some new reps that I just couldn't afford to buy.

Of course me having 4 children I kinda brought some of this on myself. lol

I have my second interview tomorrow with another company and if I get that one, I will be buying like a man possessed. :) I am very nervous tonight though.

Best of luck with the interview :):good:

Probably half the problem is I haven't bought any new straps lately for my Pams. I always find that a new strap can be as rewarding as a new watch.

That's it for me...

Just received a new Strap [Culture] this week for my 188...

I've worn it two days in row now...

Double T

Originally Pam's were one of the only super reps around. Now there's tons more top quality reps, so only natural that our collections evolve to reflect that. PAM's are now 'old school' in our world, and there's lots of other stuff to try out. I expect that they will reach a balance with the other brands, and they are a lasting, classic design, as much as Omega or Rolex. Right now I'm fascinated with more 'summer' style watches, such as the rubber-strapped Porsche flat 6 or the B&M Riveria "magnum" on rubber, or the uPO on Nato. But I still also wear my DSN 177H on black waterproof strap, and my 183H on oxblood cordovan, and my PAM FER011 on yellow Nylon panerai dive strap. I don't wear my Breitling Evo's at all, too bling for summer, same for the HBB's. Wish they'd hurry up and release those AP ROO's w/secs at 12, those are great summer watches.

That's it for me...

Just received a new Strap [Culture] this week for my 188...

I've worn it two days in row now...

Double T

You know TT, I've been searching for a gen looking deployant for my 192 Tantalium and have not had any luck. Every time I start looking at Pam straps I just get frustrated. Until I find the perfect butterscotch calf I don't think I'll be able to settle for anything else.

BTW, just got hope and removed my UPO and put on my new SMP chrono. The rut continues :p

I recall when Pams first came out,.. I thought them too bulky, something I would never wear.

However as time does here, they grew on me, and I purchased a few, loving my 196,

considering it the most handsome watch I had ever owned.

Then about year ago, during one of those periods when I would catch my reflection, and

think that they were simply over done, size wise,...I sold them off,...and never looked back..

Though I will purchase an even larger Heritage, to see if the low profile and curvature will make

the difference,... 40 to 42mm classics, will remain my choice, as I think they will remain untouched by

the limited shelf lives of fads...

i think the time of 44-47mm watches is over... 40-42mm watches comes back ;)

Yes,,,I was into huge watches for a while (I even had a 50mm+),,,but after selling off all the 47+ and keeping with 42-44,,,If I put on a fiddy I have to say It would just seem silly. My 41 seamaster seems just right and I just ordered a 39mm Mkii vantage, so 42 is a good size IMO.

at one point almost my entire collection was some sort of pam or something similar. Now, not a single pam like watch in the collection.

Pams are still my favorite brand hands down. Even though i puchased my gen pam a couple days ago, it hasnt gotten much wristtime as i still love my SSD. It's bullet proof.......surfing, pool swimming, washing dishes, working etc. I bash this thing around and it looks even better everytime. 42mm-44mm is my preference but 40mm is very versatile.

Pams could be worn everyday...........with a strap change ;);)

i have my 177h with the V strap - its awesome. I actually have like 6 super awesome watches - my biggest problem now is, i dont' get to wear enough of them often enough :) - i'm waiting on 1 more strap and some parts and my collection will be complete - for now

i only brought 3 watches away with me, a 177, the ingy and the speed master, the ingy and speedy are getting a lot of use but i am missing my fiddy fridays, i only wear the 177 for heavy manual work days.

I was 100% into watches and this forum for a few years, now its more like 30%

the reason? I have simply bought and had the opportunity to own most of the watches i wanted to own.

I am now concentrating on just a few special watches that i think are the ones that i really like and can wear anytime, now or in the future.

Another reason is the current price trend for new watches that are coming out, did you see the new Graham oversize chrono at $420 ish with an asian 7750 movement. Its a great rep, not my taste but $420 is very expensive for a rep 7750 watch.

Compare this to the Oris Carlos Coste at about $260, where can the extra $160 be justified? it cant, thats why my interest has gone.

A reason why my interest in Rollies has actually increased is due to the Noob ones that are available, Noob Sub, Noob LV Sub and Noob YM, at $78 and most accurate out of the box is just great, i own all three!

I think general interest has been lost due to increasing living costs as of late, mortgages, fuel and food prices, then the increase in watch prices.

Just my thoughts