When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

lazarini

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me like.

Me want.

Vintage.

Modern.

And hell yeah the JLC.

DITTO!!!!!!!

I suggested the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (and the whole line) to Angus last year already and he thought it was a definitive option. Of course i reminded him several times of this suggestion, but untill now no concrete reaction like a yes or no....

This doen's look hard at all to rep... what IS the holdup?? I would buy this over a sub/sd anyday!!

FF.jpg

I've been bitching about the lack of a rep of this since the day the gen came out... :)

My guess is that the holdup is the 10k the gen costs, the saphhire bezel, the 12 layers of superlume in the insert, the odd xtal shape, and the fact that, the issue of tase aside, they can buy a $2000 brietling, rep it, and sell 3000 of them to people who's only exposure to nice watches are ads is Sports Illustrated. Sorry to sound like a snob, but that's just the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...

This finally got resurrected today! I posted the exeact same thing yesterday! Anyho......I emailed Joshua about the chances of this particular model

being replicated?????? and the answers is.......

unlikely! Reasons:

size too small!

genuine not very popular!

but, if there's about 100 of us to start ans ask for it, they might do it!

waddaya think??????? someone post a poll on this?

Ok! I turned my post into a POLL....so, let's go: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78282

Hike

Ok so how are we going to get this repped?

Lets stop wishing and lets MAKE it happen. We pretty much did so with the HBB.

Obviously we need shitloads of people saying they will buy this, then we submit this "petition" to the right dealers.

Any ideas on how to mock this up?

Moi

:D

Blancpain.jpg

They really outta rep some of the new models, and some of those vintage models. But I think that a rep Milspec 1 or Tornek-Rayville kinda defeats the purpose. The best part about owning an original military/dive piece is the 1 of a kind provenance. That's not to say that I wouldn't buy one, or two, etc... :p

Another point is that rep makers don't care about gentlemen with distinguished tastes. They want to make money. And we know that the masses, in general, are 'tasteless'.

• 5 weeks later...
Seriously people ;)

i just did a search on this watch today and realized the status have not moved eg. no one heard nothing about this being made ...

I'm sure im not alone when i say i would get one of these either Vintage or Modern! This is a piece of history and a great potential also looks like not to be to complicate to do ...

Someone shed some light ;)

Modern:

FF.jpg

Gorgeous :wub:

Regards Laz

I agree whole-heartedly. There's no reason for not repping this watch- especially after the introduction of the ceramic bezel GMTII (which I own and admire).

THEY DO REP THE VINTAGE 50 Fathoms

- Pretty Well too...with an original Blancpain automatic movement.

-the only issue i found was the crown was non-screw down

-some experts scoffed at the caseback engravings though

-I see them at every NAWCC show (being presented as real <_< )

They cost around $600 if memory serves...had one for about a year. I'll see if I can dig up some old scans.

The gentleman who responded before me is absolutely correct. The 50 Fathoms is a professionally-done franken rep.

It is made according to some sources in Vietnam and not China, which is why our dealers here do not carry them.

There is a stockpile of NOS Blancpain movements used by this maker.

The cases and casebacks (and sometimes the crowns/stems) are new.

It would be cool if the CN rep factories turned their sights to these tool watches a bit more.

I love the IWCs, Jaegers, and other older mil-spec style watches.

Surely they could make some of these in China and we could then vintage-ise them :)

precista.jpg

That answers the question

WHO HAS THE BEST SUB?

BLANCPAIN DOES... :D

The FF is beyond incredible...another level altogether. :wub: I handled the exact same watch and 'visited' it at the Blancpain store on Madison Ave at least 3 times. The only problem to me was the size...especially the thickness of the piece. But that is a practical issue for me and has nothing to do with the watch itself. Personally, the vintage FF is more appealing... By the way, it is almost impossible to replicate...the quality of the dial and especially the bezel are simply too perfect.

Cheers ;)

Alex

Seriously people ;)

i just did a search on this watch today and realized the status have not moved eg. no one heard nothing about this being made ...

I'm sure im not alone when i say i would get one of these either Vintage or Modern! This is a piece of history and a great potential also looks like not to be to complicate to do ...

Someone shed some light ;)

Modern:

FF.jpg

Vintage:

FFVintage.jpg

Gorgeous :wub:

Regards Laz

I just tried one on at an AD and was really suprised with the bezel click. As I turned the bezel it clicked like a cheap rep. I have many reps that feel more gen like than the bezel on this watch. I asked the AD about it and after trying various other bezels from other brands in the case she too was suprised at this price point.

If they ever rep this watch I'm sure they'll reproduce the cheap bezel click perfectly, lol.

I love this watch too, esp. the vintage, but I don't think we'll see this one reppped, too esoteric.