When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V's new CGs

jmt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know for a fact that you can get them made for around $15 each in the USA, not China. And by micro machinist using axis lasers with a much higher tolerance than any CNC. That's materials included.

Tootall,

I would love to know your source that can do small watch size parts for around $5 a piece in small quantities via laser machining (remember each CG is 3 parts) including materials. I ran the ID R&D Shop for one of the largest appliance manufacturers in the US for 8 years and outsourced intricate parts to numerous machine shops across the country when the workload was too high for my team to handle. Most of the time I was doing small runs of parts and there was no way in hell any of my vendors would have been able to meet my tolerance requirements, finish requirements, time constraint requirements, numbers requirements, been able to do 3 different parts by CAD then machine, delivered both the CAD data to me and the parts and been able to stay in business with the equipment they used, and the pricing you're talking about.

So please, if it is a legit business, I'd love to know who it is. Otherwise, :rolleyes:

To V,

Fantastic work and I'm sorry I didn't commit the first time. If you have any left or plan on doing more I would love to get in on the next batch.

gavidoc, I appreciate your comments. Thanks for sharing your experience in the field of part sourcing. I guarantee you the companies I talked with and got quotes from are all legit. Furthermore, I don't know when you worked for one of the largest appliance manufactor's, but there have been great leaps and bounds in the past couple years in machining. Heck you can get a 3d scanner for your desktop now for under $2,500. I don't think this is thread to talk about it though.

All I was pointing out is that pictures that V provided showed that the finish was not up to par with the gen. Many people seem to have gotten theirs and they love them. I am glad. I said it was a great thing he was doing in making these available to everyone. I don't have any in hand so i can't comment how they look in person. All I was going off of was V's pictures.

Tootall,

I would love to know your source that can do small watch size parts for around $5 a piece in small quantities via laser machining (remember each CG is 3 parts) including materials. I ran the ID R&D Shop for one of the largest appliance manufacturers in the US for 8 years and outsourced intricate parts to numerous machine shops across the country when the workload was too high for my team to handle. Most of the time I was doing small runs of parts and there was no way in hell any of my vendors would have been able to meet my tolerance requirements, finish requirements, time constraint requirements, numbers requirements, been able to do 3 different parts by CAD then machine, delivered both the CAD data to me and the parts and been able to stay in business with the equipment they used, and the pricing you're talking about.

So please, if it is a legit business, I'd love to know who it is. Otherwise, :rolleyes:

To V,

Fantastic work and I'm sorry I didn't commit the first time. If you have any left or plan on doing more I would love to get in on the next batch.

gavidoc, I appreciate your comments. Thanks for sharing your experience in the field of part sourcing. I guarantee you the companies I talked with and got quotes from are all legit. Furthermore, I don't know when you worked for one of the largest appliance manufactor's, but there have been great leaps and bounds in the past couple years in machining. Heck you can get a 3d scanner for your desktop now for under $2,500. I don't think this is thread to talk about it though.

All I was pointing out is that pictures that V provided showed that the finish was not up to par with the gen. Many people seem to have gotten theirs and they love them. I am glad. I said it was a great thing he was doing in making these available to everyone. I don't have any in hand so i can't comment how they look in person. All I was going off of was V's pictures.

I ran that facility up till Jan. of 2007 yet still work with vendors of these types to this day. That is why I want to know the names of the companies you talked with as I would have a vested interest in discussing work opportunities with them on a professional level as this would definatlely help time to market and save on some of my R&D costs which in turn means less of hit to my budget if they are legit and making educated quotes based on machine setup, machine time, finish time, programming time (if any), CAD/CAM time (if any), tolerance requirements, material costs, and time constraints.

A another big one is if you had a part in hand when you discussed making these parts with them or was it done over the phone and via pictures and if you went as far as a real quote or a guessitmate based on small talk. These are legitimate questions if you want to say openly that you could have had these made for around $15 after members have paid for them. What you do with comments such as these is make people wonder if V has taken them for a ride. While it might be out of interest in helping others, without substantiating your comments with hard facts (such as written quotes or the names of these companies), you do the opposite.

IF true I'll apologize for being a doubting thomas and eat crow but as Rod Tidwell says, "Show...me...the...money."

As for accuracy of the parts, while I see some variance in the very tip of the lever and what appears to be a difference of maybe a .5mm radius difference in the opening, I would personally call these a 1:1 replica taking into account tolerance variation which you will also find on the real product between runs and even within the same run.

I ran that facility up till Jan. of 2007 yet still work with vendors of these types to this day. That is why I want to know the names of the companies you talked with as I would have a vested interest in discussing work opportunities with them on a professional level as this would definatlely help time to market and save on some of my R&D costs which in turn means less of hit to my budget if they are legit and making educated quotes based on machine setup, machine time, finish time, programming time (if any), CAD/CAM time (if any), tolerance requirements, material costs, and time constraints.

A another big one is if you had a part in hand when you discussed making these parts with them or was it done over the phone and via pictures and if you went as far as a real quote or a guessitmate based on small talk. These are legitimate questions if you want to say openly that you could have had these made for around $15 after members have paid for them. What you do with comments such as these is make people wonder if V has taken them for a ride. While it might be out of interest in helping others, without substantiating your comments with hard facts (such as written quotes or the names of these companies), you do the opposite.

IF true I'll apologize for being a doubting thomas and eat crow but as Rod Tidwell says, "Show...me...the...money."

As for accuracy of the parts, while I see some variance in the very tip of the lever and what appears to be a difference of maybe a .5mm radius difference in the opening, I would personally call these a 1:1 replica taking into account tolerance variation which you will also find on the real product between runs and even within the same run.

Well then PM me. Like I said earlier I do not think this thread is the place for this discussion. V brought a great product to the masses and he deserves whatever he wants to charge for them. People are not complaining about the cost. So no concerns there.

Edited by tootall

Thx. So hard to decide on what to do with the CG. It's definitely a nice decision to research though. :)

I am with you Slai. I bought the CG without having anything to fit it to.

I am really interested to know if this will work with DSN's 111H. Anyone have an update on whether this fits a DSN case?

Tootall,

I would love to know your source that can do small watch size parts for around $5 a piece in small quantities via laser machining (remember each CG is 3 parts) including materials.

Seems like everyone and their grandma has a CNC shop these days, but the issue is, and will be for some time, setup costs. CAD work is not cheap, tool path coding for whatever machine the CAD feeds into is not cheap, tooling up is not cheap. The quotes I got included disassembly and scanning of a gen CG, the CAD & programming work, setup, and the cost of a special tool to do the pins. The actual cost of the machining was a fraction of the per-unit cost. tootall's quote doesn't include scanning and CAD work (or else he wouldn't need the file) but if it did I bet that cost would be somewhere between 40 and 50 bucks per guard, which is what I was quoted by a high-end (lot's of DOD contracts for small runs of precision fasteners). Nobody's saying V is taking them for a ride--after all, he's the only one of us who knocked them out. I believe the disagreement is between "zero variance" and "slight variance."

It fits my DSN's 112 perfect. Lever needs sanding though.

I am with you Slai. I bought the CG without having anything to fit it to.

I am really interested to know if this will work with DSN's 111H. Anyone have an update on whether this fits a DSN case?