When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why not a genuine watch section?

t

I know this is a rep board. But i think some things are changed over the years. Many members started as young guys with a low budget. But many of this guys wear now also genuine watches and more and more RWG members comes also in the taste of genuine watches. I see also many RWG members now registired on genuine watch boards... and more and more RWG members own a genuine watch.

i have no reps and no more interested in reps... maybe for "fun" but not for collecting. But i will not miss this board... have many friends here and like the discuss.

I think we should have also a small "genuine watch" section...

i am the only one???

I think it's an excellent idea. While we are rep lovers, I think many of us are plain watch lovers at heart. And a recent thread with "gen only" wrist shots proves it. I don't think there needs to be animosity between either world, and support your suggestion 100%. There could at least be a special segment of the photography board reserved for sharing pictures of gens.

I would say let's keep it more oriented towards "fun" because anything more, especially technical model-specific advice is probably still best found at timezone or another manufacturer specific website.

Some of us aren't young guys,

and we have a big budget compared to you.

But it's still a rep board. And you just don't get it.

Stay on Time Zone if you wish but don't wish this board to be TZ.

"But i will not miss this board... "

And we will not miss you either. Goodby!

Carl

I think it could be a good idea, I personally don't really like browsing TZ and would never post there, WUS is easier to navigate but I wouldn't post there either. If it is a small section I cant see why not.

@Carl I think some of that is lost in translation, I dont think he is saying we should be like TZ but a section like the rolex or panerai areas for gens would be nice.

This idea has been kicked about in the supporters section with positive results. However, I question the need for it here. Most members read and participate here to learn and share knowledge about replicas. After all, it is a replica board first and foremost. I have no objection to starting a gen watch section but, I will venture to guess that it will not get the traffic that many envision.

@Bazz.... read it again.

He's done with reps and wants to move a part of this board to gens.

"i have no reps and no more interested in reps."

He doesn't have a use for us otherwise.

Carl

Bloody crap people are so judgmental and cynical! It's clear the poor guy doesn't speak good English, so give him a friggin break. I think the "I won't miss this board" just means something else than what it says, because in the CONTEXT of the rest of his message, it doesn't make sense at face value. So let's clarify first, instead of attacking people and asking questions later.

PEACE!

i have no reps and no more interested in reps... maybe for "fun" but not for collecting. But i will not miss this board... have many friends here and like the discuss.

Just a gen section just to keep you here...this is what I understand? :huh:

But i will not miss this board...

Useless comment, we don't need this <_<

Obviously were a rep forum, but a venue here to talk gens would be nice. We talk gens vs reps all day long so it`s no big change. A place for everyone to discuss new and old pieces and see what kind of knowledge that maybe untapped would be a benefit for all.

What`s the big deal...

i am the only one???

Translation:

I don't have any replicas anymore, and am generally not interested in taking reps to the "n'th" level of realism anymore, but maybe will still consider them for cheap beaters. But, JUST LIKE I CAN'T MISS THE BIG GAME, I HAVE TO COME TO THE BOARD, I NEED MY FIX... I HAVE MANY FRIENDS HERE, AND THE CONVERSATION HERE IS ENGAGING, AND OF HIGHER CALIBER THAN OTHER AVAILABLE FORA.

Therefore, I think we should add a small "genuine watch" section to the forum, to continue the tradition of better information in all areas...

Am I the only one???

Answer:

No friend, you are not the only one.

Hasn't the "genuine watch section" always been an underlying forum within the forum? I mean, we have categories with respect to the various watch manufacturers.

It does not say "replica rolex, replica panerai, etc." but rather "Rolex, Panerai, etc."

When you look over the various threads in their respective categories, we discuss much like the other gen forums about ge models and their upcoming release; what user's thoughts are about it; our new gen "toys" and how the next big movement will be.

Granted, not many of us are at the level to discuss Haute Horologerie (there should be a category discussing high-end and AHCI brands), and lots of intelligent watch discussion is lost either in the "other brands" or "general discussion" sections.

"RWG"...it's just a name, right? I see us as a "watch group" rather than a "replica watch group". We couldn't be the copy of a copy, since we are our own identity, right?

We have the brand-specific subforums already. People can post gens there as much as they want... they always had. :)

I really don't see the need for a gen watch section... creating too many low-traffic sections won't serve any purpose (imho). It makes browsing the forum extremely difficult, and finding information too. Look at the front page guys... there are already too many sections and subforums people rarely read.

All the most user friendly forums are extremely basic and simple, and have as few subcategories as possible. That's the direction I'd take the RWG, not constantly increase the subforums (unless there's an absolute need for them). That's the same reason why we have rejected other (in principle) good ideas, like the vintage forum.

I think everyone has raised good points. When I read the 1st couple of posts, I was thinking 'There is already a TZ where people can go for gens, so why do we need another 1 here?' But then it occurred to me that while TZ is a great place to post & look at watches, it also has so many rules & regulations that literally squeeze it dry of alot of information that people want & need. And then it occurred to me that what TZ lacks in openness RWG offers in spades. So maybe it might be a good idea to add 1 additional forum for ALL gens. I cannot imagine that 1 additional forum would cause too much confusion, but it would give people a reliable place to ask those questions that tend to get blocked or deleted on TZ.

I cannot imagine that 1 additional forum would cause too much confusion, but it would give people a reliable place to ask those questions that tend to get blocked or deleted on TZ.

People do it all the time.

They ask Rolex gen questions in the "Rolex forum" and Omega gen questions in the "Omega forum", etc.

Supposedly we had a "genuine forum" for all watch brands. Now it'd be full of Rolex questions, Omega questions, TAG questions, etc.

What would be the gain from this? Instead of searching the information from one forum, now people should search the information from two forums. Doesn't make any sense to me. The brand-specific subforums are brand forums, also for gens. They're not like "Rolex Replica Area", they're like "The Rolex Area".

The brand-specific subforums have LOTS of gen questions. Sorry guys, but I'm at a loss why we should create a misc. duplicate forum to mess up the search function... just for the sake of creating a "gen forum". :)

Actually it didn't even cross my mind that members would like to discuss brands like Seiko, Invicta, Citizen and Alpha there. Cheap brands that we don't have replicas of. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong and there's a demand for that here, but I doubt it. :)

Guys, we'll discuss this in the admin room.

PS: Believe me, we'd love to do anything that pleases our great members. But one of the best things in RWG is the brand specific subforums. We're quite proud of it, and how well everything is seachable and organized. We don't want to mess up with that, and that's what "duplicates" could do. But perhaps it wouldn't be as big problem as I originally thought.

Actually we have touched this issue many times in the past (Thomas has also mention it recently).

The reason why we need a Genuine Subforum is because there are many watch brands (with excellent movements) that they range from 300 to 1000 USD.

If it ain't broke don't fix it... the two cannot coexist in seperate entities on a rep forum.. suggest maybe building another forum for genuines.. but put it here and your defeating the purpose ..... tired of reps.. there are alternatives ..

We talk about it and reasearch it.. but we are not "it" ;)