When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lug holes drilled on a sub today...

Omega

I asked myself if it's possible to drill some lugholes on a sub without some...

And yes it is, not easy but it's possible! Here is the result:

56acbd5f.jpg

BTW: It is a CN-Sub, and the lugholes are 1,28mm. On the macro-pics they only look bigger. Sorry for the bad pics, I will try to make better ones in the next days...

So what do you think?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Those are some of the cleanest lug holes I have ever seen. I have drilled several sets, and even with a press they did not appear that clean!

Congratulations!

T

I have a case that is screaming for this to be done. My 16800 awaits your reply.

16800 was projected, but I think it would be better a very rare 168000... :o

I will not use this case of course, the case was only a victim for my test. It is a good job, but I want a perfect job! The guys from GTG in cologne knews me, my watches and what I mean. ;)

f828adde.jpg

BTW: I did it with a drilling machine with 2400 r/min. First I pointed the correct position, then I used a 1mm drill to make a 0,5mm hole (lug must be in horizontal position!). It have to be that way, because the 1,2mm drill will not go in the material when the lug is in the (correct) slanting position!

Furthermore you need a quality-drill, if you have not the tools and knowhow to raze the drill again, you will need for every hole one drill! And of course it happens sometimes that the drill gets broken in the hole... <_<

Believe me, it's not easy...

Ah, but maybe your CN test subject would make a nice 14060 now with the smaller rehaut, so all is not lost, just opened another door.

Very rare indeed that extra 0 sub. I saw on TZ someone put an acrylic crystal on their 16800, looked good too.

There goes that. I dont see me doing this with my hand held, so I am back to begging you to do mine. :)

Ah, but maybe your CN test subject would make a nice 14060 now with the smaller rehaut, so all is not lost, just opened another door.

Very rare indeed that extra 0 sub. I saw on TZ someone put an acrylic crystal on their 16800, looked good too.

There goes that. I dont see me doing this with my hand held, so I am back to begging you to do mine. :)

Let me first do it on some cases to find out the best solution, I will then get back to you. Promised... ;)

Yes my friend it works

drilled them also at work yesterday ;)

I took a Noob Case for testing, but if you want

to build a F series with SEL its not the right case.

The Lugholes are too deep on the bottom of the case.

If you drill higher as it should be the SEL do not fit the

case.

You can see on the existing holes inside the Lugs what

I mean.

So a Noob Case is not the first choice for this.

But Non SEL will fit Needs some practice to do it right but it works.

As we all know Bobby is a nitpicker in those things.

He want it perfect and this is good :)

But you must have the right tools to do it right.

So now we know it is possible and maybe there are

some nice projects in the pipeline.

be continued...... ;)

Excellent work & pics, Omega.

You can drill holes through virgin SS using the setup described here.

Not really the best setup ;)

we took heavy industrial drilling machines.

You need to drill precise and the right U/min to get good results.

Also really good drillbits.

Every hole must countersink as Bobbie describes.

This is not easy to do on the outside lugs.

But with some technical know how it works.

Beautiful job Omega.

I have drilled my share as well, and know how difficult it can be, especially when the drill bit breaks off and the broken piece damages the lug...

RG

Yes, that's true The Zigmeister. That happens on my first try on a 1680 a year ago... ;)

But the courious thing is, that it is a bigger risk for breaking a drill by expanding a hole to a bigger dimension than drilling a hole in full material!

On a non-hole-lug it's only hard to find the correct position. I've done some HE-Valves, and the drill goes thru the steel like butter...

Thanks to all for the positive responses... ^_^