When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The old and the new...

JoJo35

Like Stephane's beautiful pair of red and white 1680's, this pair has traveled the long dusty road to completion. The builder however, is none other than the Master :)

Both are complete frankens, built to the hilt, and with nothing spared (except for maybe a $5000 gen red letter dial, although I was tempted).

I know many of those who read this will ask why go through the trouble? To that I would say this hobby for me is just like any other hobby I have ever had. In that I mean the fun of researching and putting something together is more fun than just buying something. This was true for my scale models as an early teen, almost every one of my cars, the house, the boat, etc.

I wish I had a quarter of the skill RG does, because even with years experience in airbrush technique and painting, I still cannot fathom how he has the ability to create the beauty in the dials that he does. Take a good look at the red sub dial, and you'll see what I mean. Magnified how many times in these photographs, his hand painted lume is spot-on and absolutely perfect. I am in awe just thinking of it.

Not only that, but his expertise in rebuilding genuine forty and fifty year old (or older) movements is without question. Both of these watches have genuine 1570 movements that have been painstakingly disassembled and rebuilt by RG.

Absolutely magnificent. Ziggy's the only one that's been inside my 6536 ... his skills are that good.

Congratulations! As soon as you're tired of that Red, please just send it to me. I'll cover the postage. :tu:

Absolutely magnificent. The Zigmeister's the only one that's been inside my 6536 ... his skills are that good.

Congratulations! As soon as you're tired of that Red, please just send it to me. I'll cover the postage. :tu:

Thanks Nanuq!

I agree the red is a work of art, and IMO, the dial looks even better than the untouched gen white dial :)

A work of art for sure.

Congrats, once again, to Ziggy.

Jojo, you surely have balls to go till the end. :o

Gen dial and gen movements, wow, that is a serious investment.

But I must recognize that I should start to hunt for movements too.

It is definitely making the watch so close to the gen that considering a gen is almost useless :D .

Fantastic project. :1a:

And you are so right saying the hunt is fun.

The wait is making our hobby so exiting. :victory:

All the best,

Stephane

Thanks everyone for your compliments :) Both watches are fantastic, and it is truly a struggle to decide which one to wear!

Silvio, both crowns are correct. The "new" is a late '70s 1680 with the 7030 crown/tube, newer version T127, and lume pearl replaced @ RSC. The "old" is original, complete with twin-lock, old flat top 127, and original tritium pearl ;)

They look great, I am so glad to see them completed and in your hands.

And for anyone who is considering something similar, keep in mind that there are always things that don't work, or fit, or look right, and that have to be sorted out to get the end results you see here. Not one of these watches has gone ahead without issues that had to be worked around and solutions found. My only participation is the final assembly, servicing, and finishing touches, all the hours of research and finding the necessary parts was done by JoJo.

Thankfully, I have not only had the pleasure of meeting JoJo in person, we chat on the phone regularly and have a great working relationship. That is mandatory whenever you are working with 50 year old movements and attempting to build one of these watches. There will be problems and issues that have to be sorted out, without trust and understanding on both ends, this wouldn't be possible.

Wear them well.

RG