When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Surely double AR defeats the object of having sapphire glass

Spoooooonz

To a certain extent you are correct. However the AR is there for a purpose, it reduces reflectiion quite considerably, and makes the dial much more easy to read. Especially on watches that you use for ding/aviation, with a good AR coating it makes them mcuh more readable at a quick glance. It's like having a saftey catch on a gun, you use the gun for shooting, but the safety catch still serves a purpose.

To a certain extent you are correct. However the AR is there for a purpose, it reduces reflectiion quite considerably, and makes the dial much more easy to read. Especially on watches that you use for ding/aviation, with a good AR coating it makes them mcuh more readable at a quick glance. It's like having a saftey catch on a gun, you use the gun for shooting, but the safety catch still serves a purpose.

Excuse my typo above, for those of you that have never been 'ding' before, it is very popular in the UK. You may also know it as diving :)

True, the double A/R is prone to scratches here and there if you are not careful with the watch. However, I did notice that my double A/R on my flat crystals do not scratch compared to the double A/R on my round crystals.

That's pretty much the same argument that I made in this thread, spoooonz. But that was before I had a crystal coated by Chieftang! (Incidentally, I had asked for the first crystal to be coated only on one side, and it was mistakenly double coated...a "mistake" that I'm quite happy about now ;) )

It only takes one look at a Chieftang double AR equipped watch to determine that the benefits significantly outweigh the risks! Now my attitude is if the AR becomes scratched, and it starts to look bad, I can simply polish it off of the exterior (and I'll still end up with a more visible and attractive dial :thumbsupsmileyanim: ). I believe that this is the same approach that many genuine Planet Ocean users take as well...

AR should be on the interior of the glass only. Exterior AR can scratch quite easily. Seems stupid to have a sapphire crystal with easily scratched coating on it.

basically we all can "read" the time without AR.. granted AR makes it easier on the eyes..

but if you are attracted to the "Dials" then the double AR brings out the aesthetics of each dials "art work"

As for your calling it "stupid".. try using the thesaurus..it may help in your posting B)

I would rather see the dial than the crystal ??? Now that is "Art"...... it trancends from just being a timepiece

poandsmpchrono019xo6.jpg

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs. I like to wear an undershirt under a T-shirt. I like double AR on my sapphire watch crystals.

"Stupid"? Don't know. Don't care.

I like to were undershirts under t-shirts too?? you like your crystals AR'd do you??? but I like salsa on ma eggs... Maui onion salsa or mango salsa.. :D oohh.. with tobasco..mmmmmm

Double ar is the norm on many gens. lanikai smp is a perfect example of how it brings out the dial.

Btw, that is a very nice watch. :D

I have several pieces with bulldogs ar on them. When he does a next run I`m in with a couple of gen crystals for his treatment. It`s that good and would recommend it to all. My pics of a recent purchase that has double ar not from the makers.

Along with a few other treatments.

ezew157kt4.jpg

ezew161wj7.jpg

I like to were undershirts under t-shirts too?? you like your crystals AR'd do you??? but I like salsa on ma eggs... Maui onion salsa or mango salsa.. :D oohh.. with tobasco..mmmmmm

Totally OT, but you mentioned mango salsa and my mouth started watering because it made me think of "Puka Dogs". I like mine spicy w/ mango relish and lilikoi mustard. Have you had one Lani?

I've had them at the original store (actually more of a stand) in the Poipu Shopping Village on Kauai, but I understand there is one in Waikiki now.

I'll throw in a little salsa from time to time with my eggs too... And, yea, always tobasco with either one!! Never had a Maui onion, though. That sounds tasty!!

BTW, Spoooonz, if it's not obvious I'm joking around to make a point... A lot of people love what the AR does for a watch. It really makes the dial pop. And other people would rather not have a coating that can scratch on their crystal... especially gen owners of dive/sports watches (who actually use them for diving, etc), like the Planet Ocean. They'll sometimes go as far as to remove the Omega AR coating from the exterior surface. It just depends on the person. The idea itself isn't stupid. And personally, after first utilizing this new AR coat, I've found it a little painful to wear my uncoated watches. It just makes the watch IMO.

100%. Lani has nailed it. When a crystal has AR, durability is only ONE element to consider. AR comes in many colors and strengths. Coating both sides of the crystal obviously increases its intensity. For me, I have always leaned to the artistic side and the way srong AR just MAKES the look of the watch by bringing out the rich color of a dial - particularly black ones.

In the spirit of this discussion, I offer my gen PO against a rep PO with no AR that I got from Andrew's site. On another note, even most China single sided AR is not AR at all, but rather purple colored crystal with little or no anti-reflective properties. Anyway, these photos illustrate what great AR does to bring out the black in black dials. I can honestly say that I would not be interested in owning the gen PO if its crystal didn't have AR. I chose the gen PO over a gen Sub as my black - bezel - dive - watch - category - watch because of the AR...literally. I wouldn't own it otherwise. AR is just a must visually for many watches.

PO1.jpg

OMG0001A.jpg

basically we all can "read" the time without AR.. granted AR makes it easier on the eyes..

but if you are attracted to the "Dials" then the double AR brings out the aesthetics of each dials "art work"

As for your calling it "stupid".. try using the thesaurus..it may help in your posting B)

I would rather see the dial than the crystal ??? Now that is "Art"...... it trancends from just being a timepiece

poandsmpchrono019xo6.jpg

Aloha~Cheers

Lani