When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Gen 2-tone Submariner

ferrisbueller

Hey Guys,

I joined the forum a few days ago, i've been looking at reps very closely and instead today I decided to bite the bullet and go Gen..

I picked up this '95 model Submariner up on eBay for $5300

How can I tell if its not a rep? It seems like a reputable dealer with papers, if I take it to a rolex dealer can I get them to verify its real?

Let me know what you think

Ps. Did I get an OK deal? :)

post-16561-1222336369_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336406_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336421_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336455_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336468_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336495_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336513_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222336527_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

I joined the forum a few days ago, i've been looking at reps very closely and instead today I decided to bite the bullet and go Gen..

I picked up this '95 model Submariner up on eBay for $5300

How can I tell if its not a rep? It seems like a reputable dealer with papers, if I take it to a rolex dealer can I get them to verify its real?

Let me know what you think

Ps. Did I get an OK deal? :)

Hey FB,

Their nice watches alright, I really like the black TT's.

I know where you are coming from with the purchase. I bought a gen 95 W serial 16610 off the bay in Jan this year. I did a ton of homework, including asking our esteemed hawk eyes here, to make sure it was all original and genuine before I bid. Having said that though I still wasn't %100 relieved until I unscrewed the back and gazed upon the 3135 movement with mine own eyes.

It was there alright and in perfect condition.

I bought the proper ring tool for specifically removing Rolex case backs off the bay also. I cost me about $20 I think, but the peace of mind was well worth it.

@ferrisbueller,

i'm certainly not an expert but i don't get the GEN wow experience at once.

As Greytash said opening the caseback can also give a clue.

But don't use the cheap Bergeon or Horotec copies you can buy out on the bay.

Buy a original Bergeon or Horotec tool to open the caseback because they don't slip and don't damage/scratch the case back.

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ferrisbueller,

i'm certainly not an expert but i don't get the GEN wow experience at once.

As Greytash said opening the caseback can also give a clue.

But don't use the cheap Bergeon or Horotec copies you can buy out on the bay.

Buy a original Bergeon or Horotec tool to open the caseback because they don't slip and don't damage/scratch the case back.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Yeah my SS 16610 has the lug holes. That's good advice from Cats about the cheap ring sets. Mine was cheap and it was a little difficult to remove the back. I had to push the ring down quite hard to stop the ring from slipping. Then again the movement hadn't seen the light of day in 12 years, so I guess I did just fine.

If you do have a rep, you won't want to wait too long to open a dispute. A report from a Rolex Service Center (RSC) is also very good advice and carries the appropriate authority.

Actually, what are we talking about...whip the bacelet off the Six O Clock side and tell us what's engraved between the lugs

Edited by Greystash

That can't be a 95 model.

That bracelet is the newer model with gold thru clasp vice steel clasp.

The dial is Super Luminova not Tritium which is found on a 95 model.

The case has no lug holes which isn't correct for a 95 model.

Your watch looks gen but more like a 2005 model perhaps? Need to check you serial number on the lugs as already pointed out and match it to the paperwork...if it all checks out than $5k for it ain't too shabby.

It's hard to tell from those pics which are from the seller...some pics look gen, others are suspect. This doesn't necessarily mean that your watch is a rep, it probably does mean that the reps are that good.

A real quick way to tell if your watch is gen is to set the time. When setting the time on a gen rolex, you turn the crown clockwise to advance the second/hour hands...just like a manual wind ie: your 44mm pams.

Reps using the standard ETA movements/Asian movements like the sub reps are the opposite. When setting the time, you turn the crown counter clockwise to advance the hands.

This is the easiest way to quickly tell whether you need to worry.

It's hard to tell from those pics which are from the seller...some pics look gen, others are suspect. This doesn't necessarily mean that your watch is a rep, it probably does mean that the reps are that good.

A real quick way to tell if your watch is gen is to set the time. When setting the time on a gen rolex, you turn the crown clockwise to advance the second/hour hands...just like a manual wind ie: your 44mm pams.

Reps using the standard ETA movements/Asian movements like the sub reps are the opposite. When setting the time, you turn the crown counter clockwise to advance the hands.

This is the easiest way to quickly tell whether you need to worry.

This is true, I have a gen sub and I just got my first rep sub and that was the first thing I noticed. You spin the crown counter clockwise to advance the time. The gen spins clockwise to advance the time.

Can anyone tell me why this is? They spend so much effort on making the watch as authentic as possible but this one thing blows it out of the water.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. You bet your sweet ass i'm dying for that package to arrive next week!

I closely studied the latest generation rep vs those pics and one of the more noticeable differences is the second hand, take a look at the size of the round decorations on the the second hands on the rep vs the ebay pic:

post-16561-1222376560_thumb.jpg

post-16561-1222376606_thumb.jpg

That watch is definitely genuine. Look at the case, crown position and bracelet. It's newer than 2003 because it doesn't have lugholes, but absolutely no doubt about it authenticity.

Come on... where are our Rolex guys... I'm disappointed of you. It took more than one full page to verify this obvious gen. :o:)

That watch is definitely genuine. Look at the case, crown position and bracelet. It's newer than 2003 because it doesn't have lugholes, but absolutely no doubt about it authenticity.

Come on... where are our Rolex guys... I'm disappointed of you. It took more than one full page to verify this obvious gen. :o:)

Dont get too excited....lol....he doesnt even have the watch yet!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. You bet your sweet ass i'm dying for that package to arrive next week!

Post the pics when it arrives and THEN you will know what you have paid for....