When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Gift of Rolex

HauteHippie

My brother recently received a Ph.D. that has been a loooong time coming. Over the past year or so I've been collecting the parts for a gift to present to him at graduation, and finally it has almost come together. He's not a "big watch guy" and doesn't know much about watches in general, but I know his style and that this is something he'll very much appreciate. So here are the stats and a quick pic:

Franken DateJust recipe:

Genuine 16200 case (w/ lug holes) + caseback

Genuine smooth bezel

Genuine rhodium DateJust dial with roman markers

Genuine 295C crystal (on the way; currently a poor stand-in is in place)

Genuine 24-603-0 crown and tube

Genuine 78360 oyster bracelet

Genuine 558 end pieces

Genuine 3055 date wheel

Replica no-lume hands

Longines (ETA) 2892-A2 movement

Stilty spacer ring

The Zigmeister's tender and loving touch. Lots of Stilty's advice. :D

Result:

fdj1_rsz.jpg

Comments:

The case set did come with what was supposed to be a gen crystal, but there's no question in my mind that it's not gen. Plus, the cyclops is currently crooked. That'll be remeied, hopefully this weekend if the new one arrives.... I would have preferred to use a 3135 date wheel instead, but the 3055 is what was available at the time and the font is VERY VERY close on inspection. So I'm happy with it as is.... The bracelet is fantastic. Genuine bracelets (having many noob sub bracelets) are so under rated. It's hard to describe.... Lastly, the dial. The pic simply doesn't do it justice, and I'll be taking more (hopefully better) pics before shipping it off, but the rhodium dial is IMO absolutely gorgeous in person. I love the combo, especially with the fully brushed oyster bracelet.

NICE! I'm glad it finally came together, it has been a long road. That is a great photo too! I'm sure your brother will love it. And congrats to him!

The 3055 disc is very, very close to the 3135, and I doubt anyone would know the difference unless they were told. Besides, it is a genuine disc, so the print quality cannot be beat.

Beautiful watch, Chief! The list of parts alone is superb. This is the ultimate Franken, IMO. The 2892-A2 makes for a great workhorse inside, and everything else almost is gen Rolex.

It's interesting to note that the dial has no lume markers, so therefore the no lume hands.

Great job.

Thanks for the kind words, all. It is truly a wonderful piece, one that I now almost don't want to give a way... Regarding the date wheel, yes, it is correct for the ETA movement and advances in the correct direction. I had accidentally labeled it a 3035 in the original post, but it's a 3055 and I've updated the post. :)

Brian, that is NICE! Your brother is going to love it! And even though he's not a "big" watch guy, you may have just started a new hobby for him. :victory: