When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My final decision: Are the gen Rolexes worth the money?

By-Tor

That depends on the watch. I just purchased one as an investment and because I love the watch. I owned a gen Two Tone Omega Seamaster Pro but never fell in love with it. Sold it earlier this year. Now I have an "F" serial Sub LV that I really enjoy wearing. I have owned several reps of the same watch and the reps convenced me that this was indeed the right one for me. Yet, another reason to buy reps, you get to test drive the model at about 1/10th the price!

Nice photo BTW! I really need to get a better camera...

Of course they're not worth it. What's the old saying? "the world's most expensive $350 watch"

But by golly they sure feel good on the wrist. :tu:

Right now I'm struggling with NOT buying a vintage Doxa. C'mon it has a fricken cheap movement so where does the extra thousand bucks go? Same with Tudor and ETA movements. How are they different than Rolex movements?

Let's discuss that in, oh, 50 years.

THERE is the answer.

The same day I bought my GEN Carrera I tried the Sub as well. It was the "real" thing and felt way better than the rep I bought to try it out.

I have one saying that follows my life for everything: "You always get what you pay". Sure reps are good to try a watch (for a period of time) if it's right for you, but I can't wear a rep and feel OK. I always feel like I make a fool of myself. Well that's me anyway!

Great picture By-Tor as always! Lovely watch.

I have a hard time thinking of watches as investments - unless of course, you are talking about a real rarity, which of course, you will not know it is a real rarity or its appreciated value for a long time as Nanuq said.

I prefer to think of watches more along the lines of man jewelery and something to pass through the generations like a family heirloom.

Generations down the line will reap the appreciation value if there is some.

My view:

You have to be a real hardcore WIS to see the difference between the gen and best Rolex reps, such as WM9, Noobfactory ExpII or the new GMTIIc.

In my opinion, there is not much difference in "feel" at all. I think some people exaggerate this, trying to justify the gen prices for themselves. At least the difference is very small on these popular sports models. Just the very small details, like the rehaut/crystal shine, SELs fitting perfectly and better threaded crown.

After getting the gen I started to appreciate reps even more. They are VERY close to the real thing and after QC they actually have very good build quality. Just like Nanuq said nicely, the only significant difference is the value... and even more after 50 years.

Thanks for the comments, all. :)

After getting the gen I started to appreciate reps even more. They are VERY close to the real thing and after QC they actually have very good build quality. Just like Nanuq said nicely, the only significant difference is the value... and even more after 50 years.

Yup...investing is one thing. Getting a gen Rolex will maintain value or increase in value over 50 years...depending on the demand for that particular model.

If you are captivated by the SPIRIT of the watch then a gen adds so much more value.

If you are just captivated by the design...then a rep is just dandy.

Awesome pics as always...great lighting.

Thanks Toad.

@Gianton: I think you actually CAN have high expectations from a rep. But that requires a non-dropshipping dealer who checks out the crystal alignment, power reserve and things like fitting of the SELs, etc. I've been very happy with both Precious Time and Eurotimez. Let's hope they'll keep it that way.

Also, you have to avoid all kinds of complications, like the correct hand stack, seconds at '6 or '3 and preferably even the Tricompax on 7750. Keep it simple: all stainless steel, plain ETA movements and 12-9-6 7750 layouts for me... from now on. All my reps work perfectly, and the small issues (like oiling the rattling bracelets) I have fixed myself.

Can't see much difference between my reps and gens, really.

As I told in the past

a Gen is Gen its a perefect watch.

Especially Rolexes are a good investment and

they grow up in price every year.

If they are worth the money?

I really don't know, but best thing is if you ever invest

In a gen one, you don't loose your money in the future ;)

buy the way fantastic Picture.

You may not see the difference, you may not even feel the difference, but for the right watch you will appreciate the difference.

After just getting into reps I know that atleast one of my favorites will be replaced with a gen. (I agree with the test drive idea)

And I'm probably going to replace my Gen Rolex with 2 Gen Omegas/Breitlings (and use the extra cash for a couple new reps).

JW

Are gens worth it? Purely subjective, and depends on the person asking/answering the question :)

Based on the sales of Rolex watches though authorized channels (new) and secondary vintage and preowned, there are many people out there who believe they are. And, they'd be right.

However, there is something to be said about reps. While they may not carry the monetary value intrinsically, they are still loads of fun. I have more fun building my own watches than simply buying...

Indeed Ubi.

This is only the 2nd "studio shot" I took of my gen GMT. Somehow my reps inspire me a lot more... this community, the friendships and also the value of money they carry... and the "forbidden fruit" factor what these counterfeits have. They're fascinating.

And it cracks me up when people say that reps are "poor value" for money. I can't honestly tell any difference in "feel" between my gen and franken-ExpII, but I find the franken WAY more fascinating. And it cost me less than 10% of the gen value!!!! But I can tell a huge difference between a watch like Invicta and Rolex... some reps have been built and finished extremely well. You can't put all of them into the same basket. Try finding a watch like the rep ETA SFSO from ANY watch store for less than $1K!!!

Same thing with my other "super reps"... TAG Aquaracer, Ebel Discovery, SMP Chrono, etc. etc. they're simply amazing... and at the end of the day watch is just a watch for me.

My view:

.....After getting the gen I started to appreciate reps even more. They are VERY close to the real thing and after QC they actually have very good build quality. Just like Nanuq said nicely, the only significant difference is the value... and even more after 50 years.

Thanks for the comments, all. :)

I have to agree 100% with you on that, mate...

That was exactly how i felt after I got my gen SMP Co-Axial. :1a:

Congrats on that beauty! :wub:

Nice pic By-tor, is that the one from Eurotimez? Just kidding :p

Reflecting what others have said, the value of gens is purely subjective. The couple of gens I have owned I find have an emotional value more than a monetary value. My SMP certainly wasn't a whole world apart from my Skyland, and the Aerospace certainly wasn't worth extra

the truth imo- the feel of the gen rolex has never really been equaled by the

reps. but visually the reps can be very close- no average person can usually tell.

the gen prices have gotten ridiculous- and for them to raise prices again now with the world's

ecomomy faltering-really pisses me off.

btw- what is'WIS'?