When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Am I the only one?

Bibbs

I started doing it when shooting.

From a prone position, holding a rifle, you can't see the dial face with it the "proper" way round.

Wearing it this way means that you can see the time easily without having to put the rifle down.

It's just been normal for me since.

Well... one of my grandfathers used to wear it that way, so I'm quite familiar with it.

The story is... he was a truck driver during the war, and that's the way he could easily check the hour without letting go of the steering wheel.

(Notice that trucks from the 30's where not so "human friendly" as they are nowadays... :) )

So maybe you're the only one alive... just kidding.

I see some folks wearing their watches like this on occassion- Usually the older 60+ generation. I've also seen those same individuals wearing their watches half way up their arm as well (bewteen their wrist and their elbow).

For the younger folks- If they even have a watch, it's usually dial side up on the wrist. I do notice that many seem to forego the wristwatch altogether and tend to rely more on their cellulars these days...

I have a friend who wears his that way. He bumps his wrist into things all the time while walking, and his watch has a non-sapphire crystal.

I've put my watches on girls' ankles for photos, just to do something different. Posted a few here a while back.

I'm surprised nobody here has made a custom band with another watch on it on the opposite side, so it's possible to wear two watches (e.g. your Fiddy and franken-Daytona) at the same time. ;)

When I was younger, (about 10-11) I did briefly wear my Casio on the inside if my wrist. It's not something I did for long, and to be honest, didn't really find it any quicker or easier to view my watch, (I only tried it as a friend did, and said it was quicker) but, given the examples folks have mentioned (ie shooting or driving) I can certainly see how it would be a practical way of wearing a watch in certain situations and circumstances :)

I always thought that wearing the dial on the inside of the wrist was a subtle way for gay people to identify each other. Seriously, I didn't know straight people did that.

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Since all the special forces guys that I know, wear it exactly like that, I though it very funny... :D :D :D :D

(they're a little sensitive about their manhood generally... :p )

PS. Their stated reason is that it's both easier to read when holding a rifle and to shield the glow from the tritium vials from the bad guys, most wear Trasers and similar.