When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you say when people notice your watch?

fulanito_uk

What do you say?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say to workmates/friends that say "wow is that a Rolex?"

• yes it is real, you like it?
    • No its a Rep but a good one huh ;)
    • No its a Rep but I got the real one at home
    • I don't know, was a gift
    • you get good buys at Police auctions ;)

Hi all, I've recently been getting asked the question from a work mate, "Wow nice watch!" when I came in wearing my Tag Aquaracer chrono, and then another "Wow" from my Superocean heritage and fianlly a third "wow" when I came in with my Rolex GMT ceramic and finally got asked the question "where the hell are you getting all these watches from I'm getting paid like 4 times what you get and can't even think about getting a Rolex?!?!" I've only just got out of college and while I have a real Omega Seamaster (gift from Dad) it must seem kind of strange for a young guy to have so many nice watches. All be it the originals are not Super expensive a collection of my 5 decent Reps plus original Omega might rake up about $12,000 USD of original watch value... I brushed off the question with "ahh you know i like watches" kinda of thing and back to work... Dreading when I get yet another watch that i'll just have to bring in to work with me!

So when you get asked the question how do you reply?

Thanks for you time and your replies!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the "aah, I like watches" response or if someone's asking if it's a fake then I ask them to judge for themselves with a *wink*. Never telling anyone that it's a gen if it's not, however not overstating that it's a rep either (unless a close friend asks). When you tell people to judge for themselves they often believe it's real due to them not knowing [censored] about watches and/or replicas.

Few people have ever had the nerve to ask me about my watches.

However, I have been known to answer: "No, it's a figment of your deranged imagination".

That usually confuses 'em sufficiently to end the conversation :p

Thank you ... see ya

don't wanna be ya

:D

no but seriously if someone wishes to pursue the conversation i'm more than happy to guide them to rwg

last week i was waiting for a bracelet re-size @ the local watchsmith when a guy walked in asking to fix his rollie's crown

by the time our conversation ended i had scrawled rwg.cc on a piece of paper to him

Usually and rarely someone will just say "nice watch" my reply is "Thanks"......If they inquire in any detail. I always let them know it's a rep, then if their interested I'll pursue a conversation how the quality of reps has evolved in the last few years. Everyone close to me knows I dig reps :) .

Cheers,

Steve

I just say "thanks", and then talk about something else. It leaves the question open, but doesnt reveal much.

if anyone asks how i can afford it (not counting close friends and family of course), i always answer "i have my ways".

Being a dj and producer, no one knows how much i earn

Always keep them guessing :p

I typicaly stay 'Thanks' and see if they bring up more conversation about makes, models etc... If the conversation turns to where I know that the guy knows watches, I disclose its a rep. If not, I dont make a big deal that somebody noticed. More times than not, the converstation moves to something else after the inital exchange.

-K

So when you get asked the question how do you reply?

In your case I would tell the person you used student loan money or scholarship to buy them (probably somewhat true), and that you purchase watches as an investment like jewelry (probably also somewhat true). Most people wouldn't know how much a high-end watch will appreciate or depreciate.

As for me, I joke and tell people I sell drugs. Although, that's my legal job so I can get away with it.

I just say "thanks", and then talk about something else. It leaves the question open, but doesnt reveal much.

if anyone asks how i can afford it (not counting close friends and family of course), i always answer "i have my ways".

Being a dj and producer, no one knows how much i earn

Always keep them guessing :p

Same here... My watches get recognized often, but I barley have not heard the question if it is a gen. I guess the trick is to wear watches that fit (or at least come close to) your style, your age, your job, ect. Then no one will ask you.

I was walking down the street and this little old lady told me she liked my watch, so I said, "What f**k you! It's not fake!" So I went into karate mode and SCISSOR KICKED HER IN THE FACE! *WHAM BAM* Then I pulled her up by her hair but her wig came off, turns out she was bald! *GROSS* f**k**g old people. Then I picked her up by the ears and kneed her in the face muai tai style! *BLADOW* And I was like "That's what you get for walking so slow b**ch! AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU COULD KNOW MY WATCH IS FAKE, CAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S A MODDED MBW SUPER DUPER ULTIMATE SUB, AND IT'S REAL! REAL I SAY! IT USES THE SAME MOVEMENT MOST REAL WATCHES DO ANYWAY, IT'S SWISS ETA, IT'S A DIVISION OF SWATCH, PLUS I BOUGHT IT FOR A GOOD VALUE, NOT CAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A REAL ONE CAUSE I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON KARATE CLASSES, SO f**k YOU! OH, AND I DRIVE A PORSCHE WORTH MORE THAN YOUR GRANDCHILDREN!" *KAZAAM* Yeah, I showed her what's what. That's the last time she'll be calling me out on my watch.

I was walking down the street and this little old lady told me she liked my watch, so I said, "What f**k you! It's not fake!" So I went into karate mode and SCISSOR KICKED HER IN THE FACE! *WHAM BAM* Then I pulled her up by her hair but her wig came off, turns out she was bald! *GROSS* f**k**g old people. Then I picked her up by the ears and kneed her in the face muai tai style! *BLADOW* And I was like "That's what you get for walking so slow b**ch! AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU COULD KNOW MY WATCH IS FAKE, CAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S A MODDED MBW SUPER DUPER ULTIMATE SUB, AND IT'S REAL! REAL I SAY! IT USES THE SAME MOVEMENT MOST REAL WATCHES DO ANYWAY, IT'S SWISS ETA, IT'S A DIVISION OF SWATCH, PLUS I BOUGHT IT FOR A GOOD VALUE, NOT CAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A REAL ONE CAUSE I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON KARATE CLASSES, SO f**k YOU! OH, AND I DRIVE A PORSCHE WORTH MORE THAN YOUR GRANDCHILDREN!" *KAZAAM* Yeah, I showed her what's what. That's the last time she'll be calling me out on my watch.

No more gta for you my friend ;)

I've never heard anyone say "wow" regarding a Rolex but when anyone comments on a watch I'm wearing, I tell them what I think is interesting about the particular watch. If they go on to ask, "Is it real?" I can honestly tell them, "Oh, I can never tell anymore". If they continue and ask, "well, how much was it?" I reply, "I don't remember".

If they're a good friend or someone who appreciates reps, I'll tell them the details but otherwise, I don't really care what people think and I'm not about to give anyone fodder.

I've had people hold my gen Rolexes only to comment on how cheap the bracelet feels etc. I've also told them that gens were fake only to have them say "oh yeah... I could tell by the _____" Then I tell them it's real and they get all sheepish. Most people don't know what they're looking at or why a gen is better than a rep. I'm not here to educate the world anymore than I'm here to teach pigs to sing. I buy reps for my own enjoyment. I know- I'm self-centered and selfish.

:blowup: I guess you told her :) .

she didnt even ask if its fake rofl :D

its either "hobby" or "gift", but never submitting without being asked if its fake or real. Closest friends know my watches are fake, but if any stranger asks I ask him "what whould you tell, real of fake?". Then its only *duh*duh* and something like "nice watch" before leaving.

But I really do not care what they will thing of me if I addmit its a replica watch. I wear those for me and for me only ;P

If your lifestyle can't support it then don't bother trying to pass it off as real you will only look like a fool its that simple really otherwise slow down on what you wear in front of your friends and repeat the same ones - thats what I used to do when in college / first job. All else failing what piratedzeus did always gets the job done

9/10 people who know their watches wont be judging your watch for fake or gen but rather yourself to see if you can carry it off

Edited by exper