When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's frigging freezing up here Sir Hillary...

JoJo35

In the conception of ordinary watch lovers, Explorer I was specially launched by Rolex just for commemorating the Everest expedition. This watch was with British explorer team consisting of Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay etc on 29th, May of 1953, achieving a great task of human being climbing. This story is definitely magic and attractive, but it still has a certain distance to the real fact. Firstly, Rolex indeed had supported Himalayan expedition since 1933, and later in Everest expeditions, Rolex had been always the official supporters, so Rolex supported each explorer team with its wristwatch. However, Rolex was not the only supporter, it is said that when Edmund Hillary climbed up on the top of Everest, what he wore is a watch from the British supporter Smith. But what Tenzing Norgay wore is indeed Explorer. On 19th, July of 1988, this watch was auctioned in Sotheby

Is there a watch anywhere more perfect than a 1016? What a gorgeous piece.

EDIT: Wait a minute here... did you say this is YOUR watch? Holy smokes! :notworthy: I thought it was photos of the actual Everest piece from a museum or something!

*jaw drops on the floor*

Fantastic piece. 1016 is one of my all time favourites as well.

Now I hate to be controversial but I could swear that I either read, heard or saw in a documentary that there was a falling out between Hillary and Norgay because Hillary broke their agreement and told somebody that it was he who first stepped on the summit. Like I say this info is from memory only and I could be mistaken but its there in my mind for some reason. Anybody else heard this?

Pfff, what else can be said but "I AM JEALOUS"?

Jojo,

The title is great, the writing is splendid and the work is unbelievable.

From the hunt for inforamtion and the parts to Ziggy's production, all this is very exiting. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That watch is very nice and I surely love it.

I hope I'll be able to fly to you to see it in the flesh.

Thanks for sharing and congrats to both of you,

Stephane

Now I hate to be controversial but I could swear that I either read, heard or saw in a documentary that there was a falling out between Hillary and Norgay because Hillary broke their agreement and told somebody that it was he who first stepped on the summit. Like I say this info is from memory only and I could be mistaken but its there in my mind for some reason. Anybody else heard this?

I haven't heard that story, but it's pretty clear to me that Hillary never could have gotten as far as he did if he didn't have some non-air breathing sherpa like Norgay with him! At that point, who gets to the top first is really unimportant, IMO.