When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Geroge's Mbw Watch Site

Guest aclaimsman

I know the name watchmaker9, it was discussed on the old site at one stage but I can't remember in what context, if someone is on the old site they might want to do a quick search.

Ken

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i meant that you can do better price-wise. i wasn't referring to the quality, per-se because in fact i have no first hand knowledge of the quality of these at all. if you tell me that one could scale mount everest or recover the remains of the ss titanic with these, i'd believe you and that would be fine.

and yes i was serious.

Thanks for the tip! How do we contact the REAL George? What did you think about the prices and quality?

Cheers :drunk:

Alex

I went ahead and sent him an e-mail to confirm. I guess we will wait and see. :D

You can do better? Are you serious? What other dealer sells a watch that you can do this with?

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

Those subs are worth every penny.

I doubt watchmaker9 makes his own watches. he probably sells the same as everyone else. FYI my PT Sub is also waterproof up to 5meters (13feet), I didnt go any further, maybe it will survive 125ft also. Nothing special about that, a properly manufactured sub should be waterproof for at least 200meters. Even my g-shock which has chrono buttons is safe for 200meters.

i meant that you can do better price-wise. i wasn't referring to the quality, per-se because in fact i have no first hand knowledge of the quality of these at all. if you tell me that one could scale mount everest or recover the remains of the ss titanic with these, i'd believe you and that would be fine.

and yes i was serious.

I have his Yachtmaster, from way back when he was Watchmaker8 (seriously). A couple of flaws, including skinny minute hand and ticks that stop short of the edge of the face. However, this is one of the highest quality reps I have seen, in terms of fit and finish. After 2-3 years it looks great, gains about 10 seconds per WEEK, and is guaranteed water resistant to 100 meters.

My MBW white SD cost as much and was delivered with the O-ring sticking out from under the back (but concealed by the end link so I didn't notice until after it got wet).

I wouldn't buy again at Watchmaker9 prices (except maybe the modern Seadweller, look at that thick crystal!) but he shipped very fast from US, easy payment options - I have nothing bad to say about George (but he is not THAT George).

Michael

MBW watches are based upon TW best models and have the best crystal height and rehaut of any Sub rep. Also they are the nearest in dimension.
that is what i have always thought but i have never figured out where gen parts fit in. i know i have seen el say many times that if you want a sub to keep for your self, buy a tw best. even the gold plating process is very diffrent. something about heating the metal so it bonds into the poors of the base metal and it will ware for many years. i forgot the name of this process but it has been outlawed because it is very hazerdous to the person preforming the job.

that is what i have always thought but i have never figured out where gen parts fit in. i know i have seen el say many times that if you want a sub to keep for your self, buy a tw best. even the gold plating process is very diffrent. something about heating the metal so it bonds into the poors of the base metal and it will ware for many years. i forgot the name of this process but it has been outlawed because it is very hazerdous to the person preforming the job.

What styles do the TW subs come in? I inquired to EL about an LV version only to find that htere isn't one.

I want an LV with deep rehaut and correct case dimensions.

Guys,

Apologies to all as I saw the wrong photo album.. =P

I did not see that there were 2 different photo albums. The Vintage Watches on:

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k53/watc...20watches/1680/

is MBW quality definitely. The reason for the sureness is the THICK Tropic crystal which is not found on the other watches. As for the 16600 and 16610, the quality is OK.. =)

Have fun!

Edited by trustywatchguy

For those of you unfamiliar with MBW's...

How to identify a vintage MBW 1680 and 1665.

Original post is here....

With all the talk of MBW's vintage Rolex models, I thought I'd do a small little write up on two popular models (the 1680 and 1665) to outline a few key tell-all characteristics on how to identify a genuine MBW from the others.

Starting with an MBW 1680 Red Submariner:

92495-27977.jpg

Here are the first key characterisctics- s/n L341455:

92495-27978.jpg

92495-27979.jpg

And the Ref. number. Note the purposely mispelled 'POLEX':

92495-27980.jpg

92495-27981.jpg

Now we move on to the actual construction of the bezel assembly. The MBW's bezels are put together just like genuine:

*Retaining ring

*Bezel washer

*Bezel ring

*Bezel insert

92495-27982.jpg

Retaining ring, which holds the crystal down, and keeps things water tight via a gasket underneath the seated lip:

92495-27983.jpg

The bezel washer, which allows the bezel ring to rotate bi-directionally, but allows enough tension to keep the bezel ring to spin freely:

92495-27984.jpg

The bezel ring itself:

92495-27985.jpg

And the bezel insert installed (in this case, a genuine insert):

92495-27986.jpg

And, of course, one other characteristic- Genuine Rolex parts fit, no muss, no fuss.

Genuine Tropic127:

92495-27987.jpg

And, as mentioned above, the genuine vintage inserts simply snap right in :lol:

92495-27988.jpg

92495-27989.jpg

And now the 1665 White Sea-Dweller:

92495-27990.jpg

The s/n- 5790134 (The DRSD uses s/n 5790358):

92495-27991.jpg

92495-27992.jpg

This time, the Ref is simply stamped 'REGISTERED DESIGN':

92495-27993.jpg

92495-27994.jpg

Bezel assembly is the same as the MBW 1680 and Genuine, except the profile is stepped, and not flat like the 1680's:

*Retaining ring

*Bezel washer

*Bezel ring

*Bezel insert

92495-27995.jpg

Profile is stepped, and thicker. Like the 1680, the retaining ring has a gasket under the seated base:

92495-27996.jpg

Bezel washer:

92495-27997.jpg

Bezel ring. Much thicker than the Sub (same profile as genuine):

92495-27998.jpg

Genuine insert snapped in:

92495-27999.jpg

Genuine Tropic39 installed (non-superdome):

92495-28000.jpg

Genuine crown/tube and springbars:

92495-28001.jpg

92495-28002.jpg

92495-28003.jpg

Based on what I see in George's photogallery: The Double Red, vintage white SD, 1680 and Milgauss all look MBWs.

The modern Sub and SD are the "TW classic" models. EL and River have always offered these same models. I see them outdated in many ways, but the SD might still be the best one available (although still inaccurate).

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Thank you triple!!!

Alex

I sent an e-mail to George asking him to clarify whether or not this is his site. He gave me the following URL:

www.watches-photogallery.com

My .02 cents to the mix.

Its a different George, i have order from Watchmaker9 before and his subs are nice, I also have a sub from one of the dealers here, and i can honestly say they are not in the same ball park reference to Quality.

Need to hold and feel both watches in HAnd to compair instead of looking at pictures.

Eddie

Its a different George, i have order from Watchmaker9 before and his subs are nice, I also have a sub from one of the dealers here, and i can honestly say they are not in the same ball park reference to Quality.

Need to hold and feel both watches in HAnd to compair instead of looking at pictures.

Eddie

HI Eddie, please post the photo of your watch from Watchmaker9 for us !!!

Eddie, can you give us some more information about the differencees between Watchmaker9's and our dealers Subs?

Thanks!

Guys,

And if you think the so called MBW in the photo gallery showing the 1665 DRSD, 1680 Red Sub and the others are top grade.. You can also find them at Joshua website (Perfect Clones)and mine (Trusty Time). Those vintage series are all made by a maker whom Joshua and I knew all along. =P

Have fun!

Dear Andrew,

As you may or may not know, I hold Joshua in very high esteem. We exchange e-mails almost every day and I happen to know he thinks a lot of you - an opinion that carries enough weight with me that I am inclined to speak up for you here, and say that I do not believe that you are deliberately trying to slime competition that you cannot compete with.

I don't know what you sell, but having bought at least one, and in some cases several, of everything Joshua sells in the way of Subs and Sea Dwellers, I think you would do well to get your facts sraight before George's supporters, of whom there are many, slap you around unmercifully.

In case you went to the wrong web site (and browsing thru the threads, I am pretty sure I see what has happened here), let's be sure we are all singing from the same page:

Georges Web Site

If you cannot see the difference between the pictures of George's vintage watches and the ones that Joshua (and presumably you) sells, a closer look that will show you the difference, I suggest you go here:

Randy's MBW Lesson

If you pop the bezel off the watch that you sell, you will not find the retaining ring and washer system like the MBW. What you will find is a wire tension spring inside the bezel . . . if you cannot get the bezel off and need picturs, I'll send them as I took mine apart to compare.

Further (and I tried this as well), you cannot simply swap them out. The MBW fits the gen crystal, the Chinese watch does not.

Being the resident detective here, I feel pretty sure I see what has happened and I think I knjow how you got confused, but since it's your mistake, I'll leave it to you to explain it.

Bill

HI Eddie, please post the photo of your watch from Watchmaker9 for us !!!

Here you got forgive my photo skills they are not the best will try to take some better pics tommorow,

SS sub is from our dealers here, TT sub from Watchmaker( solid 18crt gold links, bezel, crown)

My SS sub from watchmaker my son has so cannot get pic of it.

eddie

post-2229-1153837505_thumb.jpg

post-2229-1153837861_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Apologies for the post earlier. I saw the wrong album and apparently the Vintage Subs, SDs are MBW quality. 100% true. As for the Sub 16610 and SD 16600, they are quite normal. =)

Thanks

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

I don't know what you sell..... I'll leave it to you to explain it.

Bill

The time is everything!!!