When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Most Important Watch Function....

I used to say,

"If a watch does not have a date wheel, then I will not buy it.."

Then I got into chronos.. and that took up a large part of my collection...always

seeking ones with date however, that is until I saw the 212.. :D

Now I find myself enjoying mechanical alarms,.. which I use to awaken for my

pre-dawn drives..

I have changed, but still refuse to buy a watch for style alone.. it must have some

complication that is useful...

A tool watch of some sort,...

Some say Power reserve is the most important....

What is it for you ? & has your opinion changed over time ?

The most important is that it shows time. (sorry couldn't resist) :lol:

I don't mind a dateless watch. My Speedmaster doesn't have a date and it's ok, it's my special occasion watch anyway. Sometimes it's even nicer, you don't have to set up the date (and wonder about the am/pm thing) when the watch has stopped due to lack of use/winding.

I think the GMT option is pretty handy when you're travelling... but otherwise it's not so important. I never use stopwatch on my chronographs, those are just for the looks.

Getting comfortable fit from the bracelet is important. My SMP is probably the most comfortable watch to wear, I don't even notice I'm wearing it. I also like my quartz Ebel. It's always keeping time and ready to go when I feel like wearing it. I usually put that on when I go to the gym (or playing football).

I don't have just ONE specific important thing, it's just nice to have all kinds of different watches for different occasions.

Oh yeah...some watches go really well with a suit. I couldn't imagine wearing a GMT Master Pepsi or orange PO with a black suit...but Breitling Navitimer looks wonderful with a suit (that shiny, polished bracelet and black dial). Actually I didn't realize it until I tried it today.

Maybe this is a bit offtopic though. These are rather "watch specific traits", not really watch "functions".

Ubi... many a true word is spoken in jest.

I think that your erotic may have a GMT function.

Does it have a "military time" subdial? One that tracks the main hour hand, but reports in 24-hour time?

If it does, try this. Pull out the crown to the time-setting position. Wind the hands backwards.

The 24-hour hand will go backwards, too... for a while. But eventually, it will stop.

Now, continue to wind the hands backwards until you have achieved the correct time difference between your "foreign" and "home" time-zones - as indicated by the 24-hour subdial and the main hands, respectivly

Now, wind the main hands forward and set the time. The 24-hour hand will now advance... but will maintain the time difference that you have set.

Bingo - your erotic is now a GMT.

Well... it worked on mine - and on several other cheap watches that have a subdial giving military time.

Oh yes... back on topic... as if you didn't already know, my "must-have" function is a second time-zone. :-)

Edited by Highflyingclive

Power reserves are pretty useful, and they tend to look purdy too.

I've always been puzzled by the day-night complication. I mean, unless you've spent the last 40 hours holed up in a hotel room doing coke, does anyone really need one?

I've always been puzzled by the day-night complication. I mean, unless you've spent the last 40 holed up in a hotel room doing coke, does anyone really need one?

Santa Claus and Nanuq may need a day/night indicator :lol:

My daily beater, has just gotta have a date.

(I still wear my Mido daily JTB!)

But the other complication I really appreciate is multiple time zones.... one way or another.

From there , it is truly a matter of aesthetics... or the bigger hardon I get from looking at it, the better it ranks!

True, not too many rank at all as you get older :p

Offshore

I enjoy all complications.....but basically the only function that I demand from a watch is that it is able to tell time (fairly accurately)... :bicycle:

I used to say,

"If a watch does not have a date wheel, then I will not buy it.."

Then I got into chronos.. and that took up a large part of my collection...always

seeking ones with date however, that is until I saw the 212.. :D

Now I find myself enjoying mechanical alarms,.. which I use to awaken for my

pre-dawn drives..

I have changed, but still refuse to buy a watch for style alone.. it must have some

complication that is useful...

A tool watch of some sort,...

Some say Power reserve is the most important....

What is it for you ? & has your opinion changed over time ?

No function is not the most important - not at all. I started out that way. I used to think function was the most important. Then I slowly got bored of those functional watches. No - style is the most important. Style is what separates a nice watch from a $20 digital watch - not function. Think about it.