When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep wearing etiquette

turbox7

What is the general rule and etiquette when wearing a rep? Some questions:

1. Do you rock it and flaunt it, or keep it modest?

2. If people ask for authenticity, do you insist it's a gen or do you come clean and confess it's a rep?

3. Should you get busted for wearing a rep, are you concerned with your overall validity when it comes to gen pieces? Like if you owned a Gen X and Rep Y, and you get called for wearing a rep, are you concerned that people will think your X is also a rep?

I personally keep it very low key and modest. I recently purchased a PAM 111 and been wearing everyday. But it was a purchase for myself, so I admire it for me, but I don't flaunt it or try to rock it as a gen. I actually feel a little self conscience when people comment or check out my watch. I get a few compliments, and I respond with a modest "thank you", but in the back of my mind I'm telling myself - "I hope I don't get called for wearing a rep!" Is this normal?

I was wondering how more experienced rep collectors wear their pieces and handle such situations.

It's been discussed lots before. My feeling is that if you start the lie and insist it's a gen and do get called out...boy do you look like a stump. If you lie once...you'll just have a string of lies to manage and maintain that sooner or later you'll get called out.

If people ask if it's real or fake, how I respond depends on who they are. If they're people I actually care about...I tell them it's a rep and try to explain the difference between high end and low end reps, ETA type based movements, serviced, modded, etc and explain the value of the design and mechanics. It's a stupid question to ask if you have no relation with the person so, if it's somebody I don't care about or know...I either ignore them, or just ask them a stupid question back or ask them what they think and leave it at that without an answer.

Never wear a rep into an AD and try and pass it off as gen though. Most AD staff don't have any expertise in identifying rep or fake, but it's bad taste and brings un-needed attention to the hobby.

My experience is that it almost never comes up. Close friends and some people at work know of my interest in reps and they will sometimes ask, but it's not by way of busting me. Generally it's because they're fascinated by the quality of reps. I always tell the truth to these folks. Knowing that I own both reps and gens, some people are interested in seeing if they can tell the difference. If I was ever asked by a stranger my response would be, "it's a real watch", which is absolutely correct and truthful. In all likelihood my rep would be a better watch than the $70 seiko he would likely be wearing. Personally I don't think you owe someone rude enough to ask a stranger that sort of question the truth. And btw, the number of people out there who can spot reps of the quality that we buy is very very small.

I like to call my watches hommage or novelty items. I have never claimed that they were anything but what they are, if I have modified or upgraded a particular watch, I mention that. But I never say it's a genuine one, because it isn't, nothing to gain by lying.

No different than driving a kit "replica" car, no one would think any different of you if you had a Speedster based on a VW Bug chassis...

RG

Some answers I've seen most commonly coming up to those questions during my time here :)

1. Flaunting a watch (rep or gen) is only going to draw negative attention, and get the wearer branded a poseur. That's not to say a watch has to remain hidden under a cuff, and only ever peeked at with a theatrical gesture and looking down the sleeve, but equally, doing things to deliberately draw attention to the watch is more likely to leave people with a negative impression, than being impressed or interested ;)

2. Honesty is the best policy. People who actually try and pass reps off as gens deserve the ridicule of being caught out. However, that's not to say, as mentioned above, that anyone who just happens to ask, needs to be given an apologetic justification of the watch... In most situations, a simple 'Thanks' is all that is required to any compliment. To be honest, if somone outright asks if a watch is a fake, then that is just showing their lack of manners, so they don't deserve the justification. By all means, a simple 'Yes...' is certainly one answer, but if the person is just trying to make someone look bad, it's better to ignore the question entirely, simply because it is distasteful.

3. I may be wrong, but I believe many collectors who own both reps and gens, really don't care what others think about the providence of a particular watch, and are just as likely to say that a gen is a rep :lol: Sure, I can understand that a watch snob who only bought a gen because it cost X amount, and doesn't actually have an interest in watches in general, sure, they likely would get very irate at the suggestion that their beloved Rolex might be considered a fake, but for someone who actually loved watches, and collected reps and gens, I don't think they'd be too bothered.

I simply wear the watch I want to wear that day. Rep or gen and whether anyone else sees it is of no particular interest.

If someone did notice the watch and it was a rep - IF it was queried as to what it was - I simply tell them the truth.

Funny thing is if I'm sporting a rep they believe me when I tell them it is a rep (not that they would know the difference anyway). But if I happen to be wearing one of my classic gen's they usually look skeptical....LOL You really can't win... B)

Edited by Bossart

i just leave it up to peoples imagination. All my close friends know what i wear, but people i interact with, have no idea.

If people compliment on my watch, i say thank you very much, and continue talking about something else.

Some people will automaticly think its a fake, and often they will openly say so in a jokish manner. These people i just give a smile, and say something in the lines of "for you anythings fake" if they continue i have on occasion added "even my smile"

It's kinda like tattoo's and piercings, I'm able to hide all my ink but have a few very visable piercings. You always get the dumb questions, does it hurt, why would you do that to your self etc. I wear my tattoos because I love them and they all have meaning to me, same with watches, I love all of mine (some more than others, but shh, don't tell them!) I wear them for me not other people. If asked gen or rep, I tell the truth.

I got so many compliments about my reps, but not one time the question if it is gen or not. I think it really depends on the combination of the watch and the one wearing it.

If you are wearing a 50000 dollar watch, as a 23 year old kid, thats got a job at the gas station, people just might not believe you. I also see a lot of greed in business... So driving a too big car and wearing a too expensiv watch might not always be helpfull as well. So if one got the watch also as a status symbol in business, maybe one should think of a watch he really could afford as a gen and go maximum one price level up to reach the next step. People will look at you, like you deserve to wear a watch like this, cause you did a great job... If you're working at the gas station... what the heck, get whatever you like... but be prepaird for silly questions :blush:

Just my 2 coins...

It's kinda like tattoo's and piercings, I'm able to hide all my ink but have a few very visable piercings. You always get the dumb questions, does it hurt, why would you do that to your self etc. I wear my tattoos because I love them and they all have meaning to me, same with watches, I love all of mine (some more than others, but shh, don't tell them!) I wear them for me not other people. If asked gen or rep, I tell the truth.

I have to admit, I've never really had any comments made 'out in the wild' about my ink, but it's mostly pretty much covered. How much that'll change when I get traditional Japanese sleeves done, I wouldn't like to say :lol: I'm like you, I wear a watch for my benefit, and not because of what someone will think of it :) My only concern now I've started wearing my customized GMT Submariner, is that because the dial says 'Rolex' will it attract more attention than my other watches simply because the brand is better known :lol: That said, during the year I only had a Submariner, no one commented on it, so I doubt anyone will now :D

Guest HaloArchive

Then, theres always the thing of hand-me-downs. I met a kid once at a friends workplace (the kid was about 18-22) and, he was wearing a Rolex. I said nice watch and he said thank you and went into how his grandfather recently bought it and willed it to him once he passed away. So, if a kid is wearing the same watch, its chances it has sentimental value to him.

So, in the end, it is better to keep your mouth shut about peoples watches as it is rude to ask. After i heard this kids story, i have never remarked on others watches ever again.

-H

To your question, I keep it modest. Before I bought my gen Navimeter I was wearing a very good Navimeter rep on a business trip.

On this particular trip, I had a passenger on the plane compliment it. To which I simply said thank you. He then proceeded to ask if he could see it. (Now this is where the situations get uncomfortable). 1.) If it were real, would you hand over a $5k watch to a stranger. 2.) If it a rep, do you hand it over to a stranger never knowing who or what that person does for a living... AD???

What would you do in this situation?

Here is what I did. I did take it off and hand it to him. Figuring, I would be honest if further inquiry was made. Instead, he looked at, and handed it back to me. No other comment was made...Thankfully...

On that SAME trip I had a VP level executive (who was wearing an Invicta Sub look alike) compliment it as well. A simple "Thanks" and "same to you" (re:his wanna be Sub) to divert attention. At lunch I caught him staring at it a few times. No further comments were made...

Finally, most recently, I had someone who half-ass knows watches see my Daytona rep. It is a 2008 model with the rolexrolexrolex around the rehaut. This is what he said "Wow, nice watch, I can tell it is "real" because it has rolexrolexrolex around the 'EDGE'". To which I said NOTHING and went about my business.

I am in agreement with everyone else here. Keep it honest amongst friends & family, and "glide by" on the strangers, being honest if necessary... Remember, also don't make yourself a 'mark'. It would suck to have a friend of a friend of a friend break into your home thinking you have a $$$$$$ watch to fence.

Edited by RoninQ

ya know...it depends on soooo many factors...wear i live, people will notice it as a "nice watch"...most only know media-hyped brands like rolex and tag...breitling?...probably not...AP, VC, Breguet, A.Lange& Sohne, IWC, Panerai, etc, etc -- 99% of the circle of people i befriend, work with, socialize with, have never heard of these brands...so for the most part, i get "that's a nice watch"...which i simply say "thank you"...

could i wear a rolex, tag or breitling in my social circle?...sure...i don't own a tag...i will own a rolex after i complete a datejust deal in a couple weeks - roman numerals, silvber dial, ostrich strap...my breitlings draw attention b/c of their size and quality; nopt necessarily b/c they are known to be expensive...since i wear a sfso or skyland - they fit my persona - and my social status would say "sure, he could own one"...

i own a hublot, iwc, vacheron constantin, a.lange&sohne, a breguet deal in process and a gen poljot deal in process...i can guarantee you that 98% of the people i interact with will only recognize the rolex...

i have attended board meetings in NYC where i know the directors/investors could/would know watches...so, i never wear a hyper-expensive watch like a VC, Breguet, Lange, etc...i will wear a watch like a breitling or something else that most woud think fit my "level"....

i'm seriously not all about me...i wear watches as an accessory -- something i enjoy...i have a tissot t-touch and a suunto observer that can tell you altitude and barometric pressure, blah, blah, blah...and many of my friends/colleagues like that these watches look great and "do things"...

all in all - i mix gens and reps...and enjoy them...but i am careful when i'm going to a place where i think there are people that might know a VC, IWC, Lange, Hublot, etc...when i'm with a "professional crowd" i wear something "appropriate" that doesn't draw attention...

to me...these watches are about design, function and quality...they are for me...and i don't have to justify "me" to anyone other than "me"...

(wearing a friggin IWC Ingy on black leather, sipping a glass of merlot, typing to you all on a laptop, as i watch some mindless crapola on my 60" low-key SONY...)

R-

• Like 1

I've never yet met anyone who was rude enough to question the pedigree of any watch that I have worn.

Tonight wearing a new Pam 196 From WatchMark, "See you've got a new watch Dale?" 'Yes, one I have been fancying for a while', " nice"... end of conversation.

I honestly think that for the unconfident the ethos can perpetuate, I know, so everyone else must know... Just chill and enjoy... Most people wouldn't know an omega from a Timex.

cheers, Dale

I have no concern with someone asking.

I am not worried if they think the gen is a fake, or vice versa, especially if they are someone I don't know.

I recently received an older gen 16610 that was my grandfather;s (loooong story!) and have been interested in replicating it ever since.

I find it fun trying to make a similar watch, it's my hobby.

I wear both and enjoy both for different reasons.

No one else can tell the difference but me.

I like my rep better because I helped build it. It was a lot of research (thanks rwg!) and help from people I met on this board.

I enjoy their passion as well and sharing mine. I get inspired by their projects and find enjoyment in building a modded watch. (just the one ss sub at this moment!) The project is a representation of my time, knowledge, and passion.

I have pride in it and that makes it enjoyable to me, and no one can change that no matter what they say or ask.

Even I haven't had anyone who has ever called out what I was wearing.

I recently had a friend who came over for dinner. This person used to be a very good friend once ....but now has become snobbish....measuring everything and everyone only in terms of how much money you make (mostly under the influence of his wife :p)

During the entire dinner....the conversation was how much money he is making/I am making etc. etc.

He happened to see my DSSD lying around on the bar counter....picked it up and examined it. Said...nice...how much does it cost. To which my answer was....how much do you think.....he replied...around $10-$15K (Sing $)....and I said you are close. He then insisted on seeing my watch collection .....was more than impressed and said.....Wow....your watch net worth is over $200K. I just smiled. He asked if I ever sell my watches....to which I replied....yes I do ....sometimes(wanted to tell him I have a couple of watches on sale even now :p)

I would normally never do such a thing.....but it was fun yanking this guys' chain :p

• Like 1

I have a bunch of gens and a bunch of reps. People who know me know I collect reps. When I'm wearing a new watch, they'll ask me, "real or fake?". Whichever my answer, they're amazed at what they see. I take great joy in sharing because the quality of the reps we've been getting are truly astounding. The people who claim to hate reps feel that way because it's gotten IMPOSSIBLE to spot them unless you know the list of flaws (wrong font, wrong spacing, wrong depth, etc). Even to experts, the watches we're getting look real.

I'm not interested in fooling anyone or making a fool out of anyone. I'm here to have fun and enjoy the ride. If people I don't know well ask me if my watch is fake (a question at the height of rudeness akin to asking if your breasts are real), I answer with, "I can't tell anymore- reps have gotten so good". If they're someone I have absolutely no interest in, I respond with a "who cares?" or "how should I know?" as if their question is a complete waste of my time.

I guess my favorite rep experience was way back in the late 80's. I was wearing a green glass (remember those) GMTII rep. I don't remember the details, but I can GUARANTEE it would be on par with what you would get on Canal Street these days (if you can find any Rolexes anymore). I probably paid $20 for it and got it from a guy with a suitcase near 57th & 5th.

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar of my favorite hangout. It was a real dive bar and Rolexes were rare there. There I sat- minding my own business- and I could SWEAR I heard a guy down the bar grousing about my watch. "Nice ROWWWLEX... what's he doing in HERE with a ROWWWWLEX... and it's only an entry level ROWWWWLEX anyway". I just laughed to myself cuz wtf would he care in the first place- as if it was a personal affront directed at him. I let him stew in his own juices for a while an eventually, he piped up and asked me, "What are you doing in THIS place... with a ROWLEX" so I looked at him and told him it's a fake. He got all surly about it and asked, "Why the hell would you wear a fake ROWLEX?" So I said, "because it gets people who want one all [censored] off and surly". He said, "Ok fair enough" and laughed to himself and went on about his business.

When I wear a watch, no matter if it's a rep or a gen, and someone notices it and compliments me on it, I say that it's a rep before he/she asks about; this is whether I'm wearing a rep or a gen.

Usually, people think I'm lying, guessing that my watch surely is a gen, and I'm trying to foolish them. If I'm wearing a gen they guess right :)

Well, I know that it's a tortuous way to treat the question...:)

Hello guys

The way i see it based on my personal experience,99% out there have not the slightest clue on how to recognize

a gen over a fake watch.The other 1% are the percentage of the guys who are hanging around in RWG!!! and it is

mostly unlikely they would live near me,thankfully ;)

And most of the other guys who are posting at the so called "gen watches" forums also don't know the differences

between gens and reps,maybe because they do not care about them.

I believe that because all of us who are posting and reading in RWG or RG or RWI have all the info about the reps coming out

of ppl extremely experienced on the rep industry and perfectionists (like most of us in here!!!)we tend to think that everyone out

there can spot a rep watch in a sec.This is not whats really happening actually.Out there only a few ppl are actually paying attention

to the watch you are wearing and only 1 out of the 100 can really spot if it is real or fake,but not without a close inspection and not

without the benefit of the doubt.I mean,i could spot a replica watch but it has to be very inaccurate as a replica(a Quartz sub or the

inaccurate recessed DW of a NAVI for example)but if it was a high end modded replica i would still had my doubts and of course i couldnt

jump into a conclusion strong enough to call out the owner.

What i am trying to say is that the fear of being called out is mostly psychological to me cause i know that only a few can really tell

and not without a very close and thorough inspection.I have friends with gen rolex watches and we have put side by side my reps and their gens and still could not spot a difference between them,let alone other brands who are not so well known as the Rolex name.

Of course i am not stupid or confident enough to take my rep to an AD or a watchmaker and try to pass it as a gen!!!although i am not

quiet convinced whether an AD employee has the knowledge to spot the differences between a high end modded rep and a gen!!! :g:

Besides there are way to many guys out there with rolex watches on their wrists,so i doubt if anyone would even care to notice them.

Most will assume they are fakes but many more wont even care.Today ppl have way to many problems in their minds and focusing on

the watch you are wearing isn't one of them...For me the best way to defend myself from someone who is trying to call my rep out is the

use of the knowledge i am getting from this forum.By knowing all the flaws and the history of the watch i am wearing i can hide them

from being spotted and also i can give a very good argument to the person who is trying to call me out.(Also a few good mods will come in handy!!! ;) )

Thanks for listening to my opinion and sorry for the long talk!!!

John

Even I haven't had anyone who has ever called out what I was wearing.

I recently had a friend who came over for dinner. This person used to be a very good friend once ....but now has become snobbish....measuring everything and everyone only in terms of how much money you make (mostly under the influence of his wife :p)

During the entire dinner....the conversation was how much money he is making/I am making etc. etc.

He happened to see my DSSD lying around on the bar counter....picked it up and examined it. Said...nice...how much does it cost. To which my answer was....how much do you think.....he replied...around $10-$15K (Sing $)....and I said you are close. He then insisted on seeing my watch collection .....was more than impressed and said.....Wow....your watch net worth is over $200K. I just smiled. He asked if I ever sell my watches....to which I replied....yes I do ....sometimes(wanted to tell him I have a couple of watches on sale even now :p)

I would normally never do such a thing.....but it was fun yanking this guys' chain :p

Some people are just begging for it though Sam!! I don't think there would be a member here who would not have taken great joy in doin just what you did to a mouthy braggart!